Barneys NY Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Connemara, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Does anyone know who manufactures the Barneys house brand ties?

2. thinman

thinman Senior member

I own several and would like to know too. I like a number of their patterns.

3. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I was told just yesterday by a source that deals with Drakes, that Drakes makes a lot of ties for barney's label. What percentage of them, i have no idea.

I havent been in Barneys for a good while.

4. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

Same here. But I only buy their hand-made ties, and @ $10-12 a pop they can't be beat.

5. Connemara

The one I purchased says "Hand Made in Italy" on the label. This leads me to assume it's not Drakes...wouldn't they be made in England?

$4 on eBay.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I believe Drake's also manufacture for Marinella.

7. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Nice tie Connemara. If it was Drakes, it would be marked handmade in England and there would the letters MD (for Michael Drake) on the small fabric tag (HB = Holliday & Brown).

Not sure who makes the Barneys ties. I hope it's not Piatelli like much of their other private label stuff.

8. Film Noir Buff

The one I purchased says "Hand Made in Italy" on the label. This leads me to assume it's not Drakes...wouldn't they be made in England?

It's funny that you mention this. First, I dont know if Drakes makes all of Barney's private label ties. More interesting, is that I understand Drakes makes Marinellas ties, or at least one line of them (I dont know all the different marinella programs) and that Drakes has a factory in Italy which is not named "Drakes". I really didnt want to toss a holy tie hand grenade into it but that's what the same above source told me.

9. Film Noir Buff

Same here. But I only buy their hand-made ties, and @ $10-12 a pop they can't be beat.

Where are you getting them for this, eBay?

And speaking of bargains. Is that 3 for 66 lbs deal of TM Lewin ties for real? They are or were a club tie manufacturer par excellence at one time.

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Nice tie Connemara. If it was Drakes, it would be marked handmade in England and there would the letters MD (for Michael Drake) on the small fabric tag (HB = Holliday & Brown).

CH = Charles Hill

11. Connemara

CH = Charles Hill

Would the letters be on the reverse side? I'm unable to see them in the photo of the tag.

12. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

Where are you getting them for this, eBay?

And speaking of bargains. Is that 3 for 66 lbs deal of TM Lewin ties for real? They are or were a club tie manufacturer par excellence at one time.

Filene's Base-Maunt

13. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

It's funny that you mention this. First, I dont know if Drakes makes all of Barney's private label ties. More interesting, is that I understand Drakes makes Marinellas ties, or at least one line of them (I dont know all the different marinella programs) and that Drakes has a factory in Italy which is not named "Drakes". I really didnt want to toss a holy tie hand grenade into it but that's what the same above source told me.

Interestingly enough I have a Bergdorf's house tie that I would've sworn was made by Drakes had it not said Made in Italy.

14. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Would the letters be on the reverse side? I'm unable to see them in the photo of the tag.
    You'll find these only on a 'Made in England' tag that will be sewn into the narrow end of the tie about halfway up. I believe that Charles Hill for Barney's ties were actually labeled as "Charles Hill", however. I've got one around here somewhere, I think. Charles Hill, which apparently is the same entity as Turnbull & Asser ties, has made/makes for a number of English stores like Ede, and also for American stores like Bullock & Jones. I know that Drake's has made some for Burberry in the past, which may be indicated by an "MD" on the "Made in England" label, as mentioned above.

15. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Looks like a nice tie, Connemara. I'm mixed on Barney's label ties - and Barney's label everything. On the whole, the quality just isn't there, in my opinion, but they occasionally make some very nice things.