1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Barney's house brand shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lomezz, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Lomezz

Lomezz Senior Member

It's gotta be more than one manufactuer.

I picked up two pairs of Barney's house brand shoes at the last warehouse sale. I've noticed they have several quality - and price - categories in their house brand. Some of the stuff is in the Kenneth Cole league, some is much more refined.

The first pair is a fairly high quality Italian made tan bluchers. It is leather-soled (they had a rubber-coated sole version) and the leather itself is of respectable quality. The sole says "lavorazione rapid blake' which I take to be the Italian equivalent of a Goodyear welt. I paid $120 for them, down from $240, which I thought was a good deal. I wouldn't have paid full retail.

Second pair looks very similar but of much inferior construction and materials. It is also Italian, but with a very stiff sole and lousy shiny leather. I paid $40, down from $120. I don't consider it a good buy even at $40. The box had "Panelli" handwritten on it. I know Panelli is a decent maker of fashionable shoes. Can they be the culprit?

Any idea who makes these shoes?

BTW, my best buy was a pair of C&J handgrade wingtips bals (I think a discontinued style with a rather elongated shape, no perforations) which were $260 down from $525. Now that is a good buy.

2. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

I got a pair of C & J handgrade captoes at the last warehouse sale for 125$. I wish I could've gotten two pair.

3. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Blake rapid is one of those hybrid production methods Italians are so fond of: http://www.schuhmachereibaumbach.de/...ake_rapid.html Sorry, couldn't find an english language entry. For Blake construction the shoe is taken off the last and a Blake machine stitches a row through insole and outer sole. Goodyear has a welt attached to the underside of the sole, which in turn has the outer sole attached (outside the shoe). Blake rapid has the welt attached with a Blake machine and the outer sole with a Goodyear (Rapid) machine. Therefore your shoes will have a row of stitching inside the shoe, which will not be present in a "fully" Goodyear construction. I believe a number of Italian manufacturers use this method of construction. The difficulty with "private label" is, you never know where the items were sourced. Shops can change their suppliers from season to season.

4. Lomezz

Lomezz Senior Member

Thanks for the informative replies. I guess I'll forever wonder who makes the darn things...

Thracozaag, what a great deal on the handgrades. I just love mine.

5. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

I think it's a combination of the high quality of the leather and the last (336, I believe), that fits my foot extremely well. The leather has really acquired a wonderful patina over the months with some judicious shoe polishing.