• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

barney's co-op detroit

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for all the detroit based area guys, detroit, well technically troy's somerset collection, is going to be seeing an addition of a barney's co-op sometime this year

it will at least provide another option for the area

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this the streetwear-only type of Barneys, or can I expect some dress shirts and the like?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
Is this the streetwear-only type of Barneys, or can I expect some dress shirts and the like?

Co-op is the jeans and such store, though they do carry some dressy designers.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, Prada is investigating the worthwhile-ness of opening a store in the area... most likely in Somerset.. and there are plans for an outdoor mall to go in where the old K-mart HQ is now. That is just across Coolidge from Somerset.

And there are two H&M's on the way.. one at Lakeside Mall and the other I forget, but it isn't Somerset, Fairlane, Oakland, 12 Oaks... the name escapes me.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hadn't heard about prada coming

i read the other h&m was supposed to be located in great lakes crossing, but nothing was ever confirmed other than the lakeside location

and an american apparel is opening up in downtown windsor of all places (this week sometime); will be interesting to see the price differentiation between the windsor canada location and the royal oak usa store .....

sam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
And there are two H&M's on the way.. one at Lakeside Mall and the other I forget, but it isn't Somerset, Fairlane, Oakland, 12 Oaks... the name escapes me.
Briarwood, in Ann Arbor.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sam
Briarwood, in Ann Arbor.

yep, thats what i heard..

and i live in royal oak.. and i swear, i never see anyone in that AA store. i dont know how they are in business.

the prada thing is still an early investigation. nothing set in stone.. but they have been in touch with locals trying to figure out if they have a market.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how is that chaud denim store in royal oak

i have not been to it yet but they are constantly advertising in metro times and such as 'the' location for denim in metro detroit ......

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes

i have not been to it yet but they are constantly advertising in metro times and such as 'the' location for denim in metro detroit ......

ya know.. its funny.. i was just talking about that store with my girlfriend.. we have never been in there... and we have no excuse.. because it is within walking distance

for whatever reason, i dont really feel like the shopping in royal oak is really worth the time.. we have.. incognito, dolce moda, lost & found, chrome, american apparel, burn rubber (trainers only), and chaud jeans... and i guess thats it, for men... incognito only stocks big sizes and is generally not my style, docle moda is really cheesy, chrome is even more cheesy, AA is expensive retail, burn rubber is cool, but how many pairs of trainers does one person need, and chaud jeans.. is yet unknown.

nmulax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes

I stopped in there a month or two ago and was unimpressed; though they may have picked up some more stuff since then. Talked with one of the owners about possibly picking up Nudies or some other stuff nobody else carried... she said it was something they considered, but didn't think would really sell.

I'd compare them to Caruso Caruso in Birmingham.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks

i do have to say that royal oak isn't what it used to be, it's become more of a restaurant and bar party location than retail anything these days but it is what the market bears i suppose .....

i'll have to stop and check it out regardless

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
Also, Prada is investigating the worthwhile-ness of opening a store in the area... most likely in Somerset.. and there are plans for an outdoor mall to go in where the old K-mart HQ is now. That is just across Coolidge from Somerset.

The area near Lakeside has exploded, growth-wise, and is a bit of a madhouse. I really like HM and so does my family, so we'll hit the Briarwood store.

I'm all for better stores near Somerset, but how about a regular Barney's?

By the way, weren't one of you Michiganians going to get a suit made from the Polish tailor near Lakeside? If so, how did that go for you?

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when somerset first expanded and became the 'collection', there was a barney's new york department store (it was a two level store where the current ralph lauren store is) that was half decent but closed once barney's had all their financial problems and had to reorganize and the detroit store was one of the ones that was shuttered

it was never busy though
they did have the most generous kiehl's counter for free samples though

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
By the way, weren't one of you Michiganians going to get a suit made from the Polish tailor near Lakeside? If so, how did that go for you?

No, but I was interested in the results. I did just have a suit made by Hemrajani during a tour visit to Birmingham. Its on its way back to be tweaked right now..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads