• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barker shoes

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
Popped into the Barker shop on Jermyn Street. Nice range of shoes. Looked at their top range - nice leather, channelled leather soles, similar last to C&J Handgrade. Experiences? Interesting to know how they stack up against Cheaney.

grc1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple pairs from the Barker Anniversary range as well as similar style C&J handgrades equivalents (358 last) - comparing the two makes, I'd say I prefer the leather and finish on the C&J's, but the Barkers are more forgiving around the instep and roomier in the toebox (a bit too roomy for me).

Vs Cheaney, I don't have experience with their Imperial line, but have a couple of their mid-range shoes which seem to be comparable to Barker's mid-range (i.e., non-Anniversary) as well, so I'd probably expect Barker and Cheaney to be pretty much neck-and-neck. I'd give the C&J's the edge.

Leather man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance
Popped into the Barker shop on Jermyn Street. Nice range of shoes. Looked at their top range - nice leather, channelled leather soles, similar last to C&J Handgrade. Experiences? Interesting to know how they stack up against Cheaney.

I've been told time and again from retailers and people who work in the industry that with English shoes you get what you pay for. I don't own any Barkers but their top range look very nice indeed and do use nice leathers. On average they are £325 and so will better than Cheaney except for the Cheaney Imperial line - though I would think the leathers will be neck and neck - you are getting oak bark tanned soles and fiddle waist for the extra money on the Cheaneys.

NYCESQ

Reaction score
Several years ago, I was in London on a business trip. I decided that I was going to drop a wad of cash on fine English shoes. However, my foot size is slightly wider than an American EEE, so I was disappointed, as I could not find the brands that I was looking for in my size. Then, I walked into a Barker shop. Although I had never heard of the Barker brand before, I was pleasantly surprised by the fit and quality of their highest end offerings. I purchased several pair, and since then I have worn them as my go-to work shoe because of the large toe box and overall comfort. While Barkers may not be on par (in terms of workmanship) with the likes of Crocket & Jones or better, they certainly are comfortable and I would have to compare them overall to Alden and Allen Edmonds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads