• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barker Black

shoes22

Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on the Barker Black brand's quality? I like the shoe with the brown suede and leather combo. Has anyone seen them in person? Thanks in advance for advice.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No gimmicks and too pricey seemed to be the opinion. Someone just got a brand new pair of stunning spectators from them and will give a big thumbs up.I do like this particular model with the brown suede and calf you refer to.
Funny i was just at their (incomplete) website.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of 2-eyelet chukka types in acorn (similar to chestnut) with dark brown antiquing on the toe. My first truly expensive pair of shoes at 700. I barely wear them and while they are probably not at the level of EG or JL, they are gorgeous and I'd probably buy them again.

I'll post pics if I ever get a decent camera.

I was actually going to post about this about a week or so ago.. to see if anyone else had any experience with the actual shoe, not just pictures on the internet or hearsay.

Edit: There's nothing about them that says "Barker Black" either, except the skull and crossbones in the sole of the shoe.

dare-

Reaction score
For a little more you could buy EG, or for a little less, C&J handgrades. Both are much better made.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, if anyone lives in the NYC area, the flagship Sak's Fifth Avenue stocks Barker Black. Considering the Edward Green Inverness 888 in acorn was discounted to the same price as the Barker Blacks, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out where my money would be spent. Irrespective of price, Barker has one, if not the best, fashion oriented shoe on the market. The construction is good albeit not fantastic. You might consider them to be the English equivalent of Berluti/StefanoBi--nice, but nowhere close to the traditional cordwainers at equal or even, lesser, pricing.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've just seen my first pairs of "˜Barker Black' (Harrods has just begun to stock them).

They are nicely (but not exceptionally well) made, on somewhat uninspiring lasts. As with other designer goods, you pay for the quirky designs.
It's up to you, whether you consider the design features to be worth the premium.

The lace-up shoes retail at GBP 450.00 which is, in terms of price, Edward Green territory.

Swann

Reaction score
Are Barker Black shoes blake constructed or welted?

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I’ve just seen my first pairs of ‘Barker Black’ (Harrods has just begun to stock them). They are nicely (but not exceptionally well) made, on somewhat uninspiring lasts. As with other designer goods, you pay for the quirky designs. It’s up to you, whether you consider the design features to be worth the premium. The lace-up shoes retail at GBP 450.00 which is, in terms of price, Edward Green territory.
Rolf, Good to hear your opinion on them - this topic has come up a bunch of times and every time people weigh in bashing the construction, which seems OK to me. I've looked at the shoes in person (and seriously considered buying them). They are decently made shoes. As you say, you buy them for the design - and that is worthwhile in some cases and less so in others. While I agree that the lasts aren't perfect and the styles may not be to everyone's taste, I am getting tired of hearing folks say that the shoes themselves are terribly made.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
Rolf,

Good to hear your opinion on them - this topic has come up a bunch of times and every time people weigh in bashing the construction, which seems OK to me. I've looked at the shoes in person (and seriously considered buying them). They are decently made shoes. As you say, you buy them for the design - and that is worthwhile in some cases and less so in others.

While I agree that the lasts aren't perfect and the styles may not be to everyone's taste, I am getting tired of hearing folks say that the shoes themselves are terribly made.

I've seen them too - for Canadians on the board, Richard Kidd in Vancouver carries them. They remind me of Tricker's in terms of last shape and construction - not especially beautiful but generally well made - although it may have been because balmoral boots were prominently featured. The price up here was around $1,000 Cdn.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Discounted pairs may start showing up at Saks Off 5th soon. I've been seeing Barker Black ties, I believe from last Fall's collection, at SOF for about a month.

16520Man

Reaction score
It's obviously best to compare them to other shoes in person, but I'll chime in for some vicarious thrills. They're put together far better than regular Barkers (I have a pair of Barker International-line Jarvis). They are somewhere between Church's and Lobb in terms of construction and material. Their full linings are almost as soft as Lobbs. They are Goodyear welted and have a slim layer of leather on the sole that covers the stitching. They don't have beveled waists. You will, however, find nice little well-planned details (for example, look closely at the lacing). Mine broke in very quickly and are pretty comfortable. In person, they're not as gimmicky as some would expect (you pretty much have to point out the memento mori details. Perhaps it's just that this pair is so eye-catching, but they really do garner many compliments.
BB%20Spectators%2001.jpg
BB%20Spectators%2002.jpg
BB%20Spectators%2005.jpg

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thinman, wwhich off 5th carries the ties thanx

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads