• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Barker Black Review

tony19

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2008
Messages
96
Reaction score
0
I went to NYC this weekend to shop around and made sure I swung by Barker Black. As most people stated in previous threads the shoes are WAYYYYY over priced but I had to see for myself. Yeah they are pretty cool looking but I am 27 and I would defenitely not be wearing these shoes into my 30's. and for a price tag around $750 I better get a whole career out of them!

The construction looked decent but the comfort was no where near that of Crockett and Jones. The inside soles were very hard and the last squeezed your foot too much.

Anways the biggest negative out of the whole experience was the sales person they had. Their shop is probably 200 square feet and I was the only person in there. He was so rude and arrogant even if the price was right I wouldn't have bought from him. it really was a shame. his attitude was pathetic.

The one positive I came away with was their ties. They were great looking and the silk was prefect. they also made them extra long which i like. They should definitely put their line of ties on the web. I almost bought one but didn't want to give that d-bag salesman a commission. I'll wait till they get em' online....
 

sartort

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
1,497
Reaction score
3
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I popped in for about 5 minutes while visiting NYC for a wedding this past Memorial Day. I just wanted to have a look in the shop. I encountered no smugness or snobiness. It's a shame to hear that.
 

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
20,327
Reaction score
5,574
I have visited the store and have had excellent experiences. The people I run into know a lot about clothes and are fun to talk too.

You might want to give it another try. I think your experience was unusual.
 

sartort

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
1,497
Reaction score
3
I think their Ashfield last is remarkably similar to C&J's 337 last. The ashfield is found on their quintessential shoe, the Archdale wingtip. I can put up some comparision pics between the lasts if you like.

Outside of that, I agree that some of their lasts leave much to be desired. I think construction wise they are on par with my C&J handgrades. They lack the suppleness of my C&Js, but ont the otherhand, they also feel like they can survive a nuclear blasts with the double leather uppers. I agree though at retail, their value proposition goes way down. On sale, however...

In reality the momento mori on the toes goes away. I hardly notice it and prefer it to a lot of ram's heads medallions which I find unattractive. My fav medallion is the one EG does for RLPL but that is neither here nor there. I know Barker Black gets a bad rap here on the forum, and to some extent it is deserved, but I think a pair or 2 can spice up a rotation and blend right in. I certainly enjoy mine.
 

rogerm

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
563
Reaction score
0
I own two of their boots and I really like the shoes. I like their edginess, but they are over priced - would only, and have, gotten them on sale. For the full price I would rather get something better.
 

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 24, 2008
Messages
15,915
Reaction score
3,819
I have a pair of their cris-crossed monkstraps. I like the shape and the slightly bulbous tip. The leather is amazingly supple. The shoes are very comfortable to me.

Right now I'm in my mid 30s. I figured that I can enjoy something quirky like these shoes now and have my 40s through 70s to wear the more conservative stuff.
 

tony19

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2008
Messages
96
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I have visited the store and have had excellent experiences. The people I run into know a lot about clothes and are fun to talk too.

You might want to give it another try. I think your experience was unusual.


Yeah I understand. I wouldn't let it affect my views/opinion of the company itself...just the person working there. Thanks
 

sf_esq

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2008
Messages
748
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by sartort
I think their Ashfield last is remarkably similar to C&J's 337 last. The ashfield is found on their quintessential shoe, the Archdale wingtip. I can put up some comparision pics between the lasts if you like.

Outside of that, I agree that some of their lasts leave much to be desired. I think construction wise they are on par with my C&J handgrades. They lack the suppleness of my C&Js, but ont the otherhand, they also feel like they can survive a nuclear blasts with the double leather uppers. I agree though at retail, their value proposition goes way down. On sale, however...

In reality the momento mori on the toes goes away. I hardly notice it and prefer it to a lot of ram's heads medallions which I find unattractive. My fav medallion is the one EG does for RLPL but that is neither here nor there. I know Barker Black gets a bad rap here on the forum, and to some extent it is deserved, but I think a pair or 2 can spice up a rotation and blend right in. I certainly enjoy mine.


I'm thinking about ordering a pair of the Archdales (I'm also ordering some C&J from Plal and have finally figured out my C&J size for my initial order), but am curious about sizing for the Archdale as well. According to the salesperson at the Barker Black store in NYC (via telephone), the Ashfield last is narrow and cut slightly small. You suggested it's similar to the CJ 337, which I hear is quite roomy. I wear a 7.5 or 8 US (mostly 7.5) and he suggested an 8 US. What is your opinion on sizing? Thanks in advance.
 

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
1,974
Reaction score
2
A retort to those who think India cannot produce good shoes (that are finished in England).
 

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
40,122
Reaction score
29,212
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I have visited the store and have had excellent experiences. The people I run into know a lot about clothes and are fun to talk too.

You might want to give it another try. I think your experience was unusual.


Are we talking about the NYC shop on Elizabeth? I have the same experience as the OP - unusual display of douchebaggery and superlative BS to describe their shoes
 

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
5,360
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by HORNS
I have a pair of their cris-crossed monkstraps. I like the shape and the slightly bulbous tip. The leather is amazingly supple. The shoes are very comfortable to me.

Right now I'm in my mid 30s. I figured that I can enjoy something quirky like these shoes now and have my 40s through 70s to wear the more conservative stuff.


How is the sizing on Barkers, the same as regular English shoes?
 

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
5,360
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
A retort to those who think India cannot produce good shoes (that are finished in England).

Why not India, If Romania can produce terribly overpriced shoes finished in Vienna?
We should pool our money and open factory in Kazakhstan., for the benefit of glorious United Socialist Republics of America.
 

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
5,360
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by gdl203
Are we talking about the NYC shop on Elizabeth? I have the same experience as the OP - unusual display of douchebaggery and superlative BS to describe their shoes

Hmmm, you might have something in common with op. Perhaps the way you both look?
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

  • 7”

    Votes: 75 16.9%
  • 7.5”

    Votes: 147 33.1%
  • 8”

    Votes: 131 29.5%
  • 8.5”

    Votes: 50 11.3%
  • 9”

    Votes: 20 4.5%
  • 9.5”

    Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 10”

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 10.5”

    Votes: 9 2.0%

Related Threads

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
433,079
Messages
9,305,063
Members
195,299
Latest member
jimmybwigg
Top