• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barker Black MTO Damage Photoessay

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's the first loafer I have seen that I would consider wearing.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A handsome loafer indeed. Very elegant.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
After 126 days, a package was finally waiting for me, a door tag that is. A short trip to the local FedEx facility after work and the wait was finally over. I thought I'd share a photo essay of my MTO Barker Black Crown/Wolfe hybrid Loafers. Before I begin, I know that Barker Black is one of the more controversial brands on this forum. It seems to ignite both passion and vitriol. It is probably the closest shoe equivalent to Tom Ford and Thom Brown and their subsequent threads.
I think you are overestimating the degree to which people care one way or another about them.
. . . I have to say Toure at the shop was very courteous and helpful throughout the entire process. He even called to let me know that my shoes were going to be delayed a few weeks (past the 16 weeks normally) due to my pair not passing QC and that they were going to remake a new pair. . . .
This is the kind of thing merchants make up to pass a bug off as a feature. When I was a waiter and an order was late because I forgot to put it in, I didn't say "sorry, I forgot." I said "the kitchen screwed up your order so we're making you a new one. Here's a free soda." But for the logo cutout and the functioneless double x stitches on the strap, the shoes look perfectly nice. I especially like the apron stitching. Enjoy them.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, they're nice!

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very nice shoes. I'm not a huge fan of the crown, but everything else is
worship.gif

I really like Barker Black's 'X' stitching and lacing. It's very......cool.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer stock BB loafer with a metal bones on an apron. Having bought BB shoes I must say that is one company I would not order MTO shoes from. They use very soft leather for their soles and their finish, lasts and stitching are unremarkable.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all thanks very much for all the kind words.
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Not for me, but very cool shoes. My first thought was that the crown is very Budweiser-esque.
Great, now that's all I will think of when I look down
wink.gif
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
Wow, what a penny loafer. If you don't mind me asking, what is the cost for MTO shoes?
The cost of MTO at BB is base price of shoe, + 20%. You can contact Barker Black directly to get pricing as I am not aware of what the current prices are as I placed my order before the price increase.
Originally Posted by dopey
I think you are overestimating the degree to which people care one way or another about them. Perhaps, it just seems to me to be one of the brands on SF that you either love or hate and often times people don't like them because they view them as a fad. This is the kind of thing merchants make up to pass a bug off as a feature. When I was a waiter and an order was late because I forgot to put it in, I didn't say "sorry, I forgot." I said "the kitchen screwed up your order so we're making you a new one. Here's a free soda." But for the logo cutout and the functioneless double x stitches on the strap, the shoes look perfectly nice. I especially like the apron stitching. Enjoy them.
Perhaps they were feeding me a line of bull...but I appreciated being informed about the minor delay and keeping in touch with me to let them know they arrived in NYC, not to mention expedited shipping from NYC free of charge.
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I prefer stock BB loafer with a metal bones on an apron. Having bought BB shoes I must say that is one company I would not order MTO shoes from. They use very soft leather for their soles and their finish, lasts and stitching are unremarkable.
I have the Wolfe bit loafers in snuff suede as well. As far as not doing a MTO from BB, while I can see your reservations, I have to disagree with you given that I am entirely satisified with my MTO purchase from BB. Also the leather on my Archdale wingtips is the thickest of out my Edward Greens, Crockett & Jones, and John Lobbs. I am not a fan of many of their lasts, but I do like the Ashfield which is very similar to C&Js 337. Lastly, I will agree that the welt stitching is not as tight or elegant as EG or Lobb, but who else is? But the welts are cut closer and finished at least on par if not nicer than my C&Js. I will say that my MTO seemed to be finished at a slightly higher level than my stock BBs.

smmea

Reaction score
ok, they look like any other pair of loafers out there, lack of distinctive details

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
This is the kind of thing merchants make up to pass a bug off as a feature.

That's too cynical for me. There really are businesses who pride themselves on their work and do indeed pull an redo products when they don't meet expectations.

I just had a pair of shoes resoled. The old man who own the place does the final QC, he didn't like one very small detail about the way they were done and delayed my shoe 24 hours to have them redone at their expense. After I fuond out the problem, I doubt I ever would have noticed. But the fact they cared that much will keep me going back.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the welts are cut closer and finished at least on par if not nicer than my C&Js. I will say that my MTO seemed to be finished at a slightly higher level than my stock BBs.

I agree that they are as good or beter than C&J handgrade in welt-finish , but I was talking baout their leather soles. They wear out immediately leading me to conclusion that they don't use properly cured leather for their soles.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I agree that they are as good or beter than C&J handgrade in welt-finish , but I was talking baout their leather soles. They wear out immediately leading me to conclusion that they don't use properly cured leather for their soles.

Maybe you got a bum pair? My C&J for Polo Bentons and my BB Archdales were purchased right around the same time, about 18 months ago. I wear each with the same frequency, once a week and I just noticed last night that the welt stitching is barely starting to show through on my C&Js, while it hasn't yet started on my BBs. I don't know if that is the best indicator as it could just a be a difference in how the closed channels are actually done versus the hardness factor of the soles. Sorry to hear that about yours. I haven't experienced the same problem though.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the color. What do you call it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads