Barker Black fit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Recoil, Dec 9, 2010.

1. xudisco07

xudisco07 Senior member

Are you sure they are not AE seconds?

I am talking about the BB shoes, not AE.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am talking about the BB shoes, not AE.

Wait so let me get this right. AE seconds are marked with uk sizes?

3. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

4. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

The last appears identical to a pair of AEs I have in 9.
    This statement makes no sense. You can't compare the fit of one last to another based on pictures, unless they were under extremely controlled circumstances (same distance & angle). Even then, that wouldn't really tell you anything about fit. Just because the shape is similar doesn't have anything to do with fit. Second, that price is ridiculous. I don't think it's threadcrapping if it comes up somewhere else. You can find Edward Greens on a regular bases for $550. Barker Black are nowhere near the quality of EG. You could say the styling of BB is worth something, but those shoes are missing the skull punching that make BB unique. They are a normal pair of burgundy wingtips that is lesser in quality than EG. I don't see how that's worth $550.

5. theyare

theyare Senior member

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=210995

Anyway, these are the shoes I'm talking about. The last appears identical to a pair of AEs I have in 9, but I can't confirm the info on the last since I don't see them on BB web-site. Help?

Looks like they are on the same last as the archdale. IMO, that last fits a little long & narrow.

6. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

This statement makes no sense. You can't compare the fit of one last to another based on pictures, unless they were under extremely controlled circumstances (same distance & angle). Even then, that wouldn't really tell you anything about fit.

Just because the shape is similar doesn't have anything to do with fit.

Second, that price is ridiculous. I don't think it's threadcrapping if it comes up somewhere else. You can find Edward Greens on a regular bases for $550. Barker Black are nowhere near the quality of EG. You could say the styling of BB is worth something, but those shoes are missing the skull punching that make BB unique. They are a normal pair of burgundy wingtips that is lesser in quality than EG. I don't see how that's worth $550.

i'm not sure if i'd go so far as to call it ridiculous, considering BB goes for around $750 retail for "firsts." that asking price seems within the margin one would pay for that brand. i hear what you're saying though.

and really? EGs for $550? i thought they were in the $1K range.

7. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

We are talking about buying shoes on SF's B&S, not retail. $550 is a decent price that is fairly common here.

8. gogators

gogators Well-Known Member

I am a 9E in AE PA, 9D in Alden hampton last, 8D in BB Straton. A full size down and they fit great.

9. ktrp

ktrp Senior member

Wait so let me get this right. AE seconds are marked with uk sizes?

That qualifies as a cosmetic flaw, right?

10. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Do they fit true to size? I'm a 9D in AE. Wondering if a 9D will work in BB?

I have several pairs and they fit true to size. You would wear a 9D in US sizes or a 8 in UK sizes.

11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

sometime last year i know holt's last call in vaughn had some pairs, maybe call them up and check? also wouldn't the bloor holt's carry some bb too?

12. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

They are probably fakes, or seconds.

Have you ever seen a fake pair of BBs? Dude, what's with all the hate for BB?[​IMG]

i'm not sure if i'd go so far as to call it ridiculous, considering BB goes for around $750 retail for "firsts." that asking price seems within the margin one would pay for that brand. i hear what you're saying though.

BB (e.g. laceup specs) are now retailing for $925. BBs are very underrated on SF by guys that don't wear them.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

13. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

So...from reading this thread it seems that BBs run large (it seems to me all dress shoes run large, it's like the opposite of jeans sizing). Anyway, on their website I noticed a few pairs' descriptions said they run small. Argh!

I guess this is something you really want to try in person. I love the styling. Is NYC the place to go for this, does NM carry them in many stores?

Cheers.

14. NORE

NORE Senior member

It would depend on which shoe you were looking at. Some of them aren't offered Stateside. But if you must I believe they still have a store in the village in NYC.

15. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

To clarify, BBs do NOT run large in my experience. but it always makes sense to try them on first if you can.