• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barista ruins my day. Complain or let it go?

stvwrd

Reaction score
Okay, so I was just at this coffee shop that I've never been to before but always drove by so I was curious to try it out.

I'm on my way to work and have my Starbucks thermos with me, and I stop by and ask them to fill it up.

Well, when the guy hands it back to me with the top cup screwed on, I assumed it was ready to go, jammed it in my bag, hopped on my bike and took off (he took so damn long I was almost late. If I knew they make hand-drip coffee I'd have gone to the starbucks across the street).

I get to work and notice that my pants feel wet. My bag was also soaked, as was the book I had inside my bag with the thermos. As I'm inspecting everything, I don't notice coffee dripping on my sand-colored suede Clark's Desert Boots (NOT easy to get decent shoes for my big clown feet in Korea).

When I open the thermos I see what happened. The guy had hastily *********** top on lop-sided. Though it seemed like it was tight, it wasn't on correctly.

So as I'm at work for a short time I'm debating between just letting this all go or going back to the coffee shop and complaining. What would you guys do?

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what can you really do? do you think hes going to repay you for everything? youll most likely just get into an argument with them. its both of your faults, you should have checked before putting it into your bag.

and i like how you didnt put not complain at all as an option lol.

stvwrd

Reaction score
Whoops. I actually did have "Let it go, life is too short" as an answer, but I screwed up in making the poll. Now it won't let me edit the poll. Oh well.

I think there's a 0% chance that anything would come of complaining either way, except hopefully the guy would be more careful next time.

Probably just going to let it go for all the reasons you mentioned, plus if I were to complain I'd be bringing all the baggage of my bad day with me not to mention some building cultural frustrations that have come up in the past month.

tba

Reaction score
Option 4. **** happens - forget about it and move on.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just go back and let him or, if he's not there, a manager, know. Tell them you don't want anything, but just to let them know about it so they're more careful in the future.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
There's a missing option, simply going by the title of your thread "Barista ruins my day."
RETHINK YOUR LIFE.

stvwrd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
There's a missing option, simply going by the title of your thread "Barista ruins my day."
RETHINK YOUR LIFE.

Lol, it's just an expression. It's the priniciple of the thing.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
In that case, DarkNWorn's advice was the best I think.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say that if it were the coffee shop's own thermos that leaked you would have an unquestionable complaint. However, the thermos is your personal property and you can't expect the barista to have its mechanics (as simple it may be) mastered, and yes-you should have checked it.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[Sucks air through teeth, Japanese businessman style.]

Douse him with boiling grits!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stvwrd
Okay, so I was just at this coffee shop that I've never been to before but always drove by so I was curious to try it out.

I'm on my way to work and have my Starbucks thermos with me, and I stop by and ask them to fill it up.

Well, when the guy hands it back to me with the top cup screwed on, I assumed it was ready to go, jammed it in my bag, hopped on my bike and took off (he took so damn long I was almost late. If I knew they make hand-drip coffee I'd have gone to the starbucks across the street).

I get to work and notice that my pants feel wet. My bag was also soaked, as was the book I had inside my bag with the thermos. As I'm inspecting everything, I don't notice coffee dripping on my sand-colored suede Clark's Desert Boots (NOT easy to get decent shoes for my big clown feet in Korea).

When I open the thermos I see what happened. The guy had hastily *********** top on lop-sided. Though it seemed like it was tight, it wasn't on correctly.

So as I'm at work for a short time I'm debating between just letting this all go or going back to the coffee shop and complaining. What would you guys do?

NOt much you can do. You were equally complicit for not double checking before putting unsealed liquids (unsealed as in not a brand new bottle of water or a bottle that you closed tightly yourself) into a bag with books and such in it. Count it as a lesson to double check next time. However you have a right to be a bit peeved.

CutCleanQuick

Reaction score
You're in Seoul and riding a fkng bike? Are you fkng nuts? Have you considered that he/she screwed you up lopsided just for the fun of it?
devil.gif
You're SOL. After a week on a bike in Seoul your Clarks probably needed a serious cleaning anyway.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're responsible for checking before putting your own personal property into your own personal bag. He did nothing wrong.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go back there tomorrow - don't say anything about what happened - try to get the same guy if you can, and see if he puts the lid on correctly this time. Could have been just a fluke... become a regular there if their coffee is good. You might even ultimately become friends with the Barista and have a good laugh about the time he didn't screw the top on correctly. Was it this place?
korea-coffee1.gif
Try to find a Pascucci.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fire Bomb.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads