• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barcelona

LUBE UP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Corniche
Oh really? I didn´t know that. Carmina´s are top notch ones while Yanko are cheapo shoes for old unstylish people.
plain.gif

what's wrong with yanko?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruzzi
Thanks stevent. Would staying on La Rambla be ok? This hotel looks alrite http://www.hotel1898.com/ Day trips - looking for a small coastal day daytrip, nice beach, chilled out, not too crowded within say 1-1.5 hours by bus?
Yeah La Rambla is fine just watch out for pickpockets. I never had a problem but if you look really touristy then you most likely be pickpocketed. Just don't put you phone on the table while eating and when you watch the street performers pay attention to your surroundings. The hotel you posted has two pools which is pretty impressive for Spain, although I am not familiar with it myself. One thing to note about the W is that it's slightly in the BFE and you would need to cab it to most places. Cabs are relatively cheap (6-8 euros average trip, 10-12 at night with fees) but it would be a hassle not being able to enjoy walking around the city. As for coastal daytrips I would say go to Sitges which is pretty nice and not too far (hour by train or so). Another place (I haven't been but have many friends who have) is Lloret de Mar but it is more focused on partying for a younger crowd and a bunch of German tourists. I have a few German friends who have only been to Lloret de Mar and nowhere else in Spain. With Vueling and RyanAir you could easily go to Sevilla or Ibiza or Palma for around 25-30 euros round trip with RyanAir (get the 6 euro ticket no taxes) or with Vueling it would be maybe 80-100 euros round trip. But there is plenty to do in Barcelona so seven days would be well spent in just Barcelona. The beach in Barca won't be too crowded in September but it's nothing special.

ruzzi

Reaction score
thanks for the tips.... la rambla sounds a bit more central and easier to walk around... so ive booked in there for now!
smile.gif
stiges sounds nice!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bings

Reaction score
bump... going next week for a 5 days.

any fresh info?

already taken some notes from this thread.

habanos

Reaction score
Check out the tapas bar known as "the fertile forest" It is off the beaten path and contains fake tree decor and rain showers every few minutes.

gambit50

Reaction score
You want restaurant recs? It is Barca, more truly great(not American great) choices than can be had in a couple of days.
Just use Michelin. Sure if you are an extreme food Nazi you would want the best picks of that but I think the choices will be good enough even if you just choose at random(given your own constraints).
In that short time, you won't have need for every hidden gem, etc.
As for shops, I am not an expert in remembering everything I have seen but the city is stylish enough.
Craftsmanship is not the top of the tops of elsewhere to me(or at least not enough of it) but just stroll around and maybe something catches your eye.
Or maybe you can go to the Zara store to see what is different much like the hoards of American tourists at the Ambercrombie on 5th Ave.
It is mind blowing every time I see it.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only shop that I remember distinctly in Barcelona was the branch of Carmina, which was fairly far out up the Passeig de Gracia (the equivalent, retail-wise, of Fifth Ave in thr 50's in NYC, or some amalgam of Bond St/Regent St. in London). Oddly enough, their selection at the Barcelona branch is not as extensive as the Paris branch (I asked for a particular shoe, and was told it was only available in the shop in the Avenue de l'Opera).

None of the restaurants at which I ate in Barcelona was so exemplary that I could recommend them outright, but all were good enough not to disappoint one greatly.

I stayed at El Palace, which was a gorgeous old hotel, and extremely comfortable, and within walking distance of the old city and the Passeig de Gracia. The W, as I remember, was in Barceloneta, at the beach, making it out of the way for just about everything, though with uninterrupted views of the Mediterranean. La Rambla I found rather seedy, if architecturally interesting and colorful, but the Born was quite lovely.

Last edited:

bertie

Reaction score
Not sure if it's been mentioned but Bel y Cia is a nice boutique mens store with CM flavour. It is quite expensive but they had a great selection of ties under their own brand and the price was not bad. It's also on the Paseo de Gracia. The Carmina store did not have anything in my size (UK 10.5) that I wanted and I tried hard to find a shoe that I liked.

I also found the tapas places over-rated. Had much better luck with the seafood restaurants down by the water (though you better like seafood) and there are so many you're best off using a guidebook to sort through them (I used Rough Guide).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads