Barcelona vacation......tips?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Mr Pink, May 25, 2012.

1. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Member

Hi all, long time lurker here (mostly in the men's clothing forum). I'm heading to Barcelona with the wife in June for 6 nights. I've never been there but have currently booked the Barcelona Universal Hotel. Looking to get some input on where to go, what to see, where to shop, and where to eat. If you have any suggestions, let me know! Thanks. And, for the record, I already know about the pickpocketing issue. I've lived in Bogota however, so no concerns here.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  2. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

MACBA
    Parc Guel and all other Gaudì masterpieces
    The Mirò Foundation
    The cable car over the harbour from the hill
    4 Gats, for the history
    Kaiku fish restaurant on beach - Placa del Mar. Great cheap fish restaurant. Local workers etc. Good value.
    Picasso Museum

and tonnes more

3. darnelled

darnelled Senior member

What he^ said plus Las Ramblas.

4. tullytra

tullytra Senior member

Camp Nou is an interesting place to go. The FC Barcelona museum gives a nice history of the club, but it also shows how the club is deeply tied to Catalan culture.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  5. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Member

I'm looking into all of this. Thanks for the suggestions!

6. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

Get lost in the Born area for a bit. Lots of little museums (chocolate, dali, etc). I'd try to look into going on a train to Figures for the Dali museum. I didn't get to do it last time and I'm kicking myself for it. I also enjoyed spending most of my time at the beach (Barceloneta) and the Bari Gothic and Born areas (I was staying the Gothic area). The Born area had a lot of good and affordable tapas bars and quaint shops.

La Rambla was a tourist trap to me, I did like the Boqueria.

The "hop on, hop off" bus was actually very useful getting to the main tourist spots. The audio tour really helped explain a lot of stuff.

I'd do a day or two of that right off the bat then spend the rest of the time just relaxing and seeing what you want to see, it'll take you everywhere. Even if you don't want to see the tourist sites, it'll take you where you need to go. Parc Guell, Tibidabo (great view of the city from here, church, amusement park), Sagrada Familia, Nou stadium, etc....it goes to all of that. I also really enjoyed the Catalyan museum near the beach, just mainly historical and stuff but it was good.

I really enjoyed Tapac 24. http://www.projectes24.com/ Its probably too late to get a reservation at Tickets.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  7. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Member

Thanks for the well thought out response. There are some great ideas in your post. Thanks!

8. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Have you already left for your vacation? I just came back from my second stint in Barcelona. I actually stayed at the Barcelona Universal on my first visit to the city. On this particular trip, I stayed in the H10 Universitat which was much closer to the center of the city.

First of all, there is little to do within the immediate vicinity of your hotel. The area east of the hotel between Parallel and Las Ramblas can be a little shady at night. Fortunately, the hotel is right outside the Parallel stop with easy access to the rest of the city by subway.

With regards to tourist oriented stuff, try to hit up Gaudi sites. Palau Guell was recently reopened in 2011, and was very cool. On my first visit, I managed to take a tour of Sagrada Familia and La Piedra. Make sure to walk down from the top of Sagrada Familia. Parc Guell is also a must. Make sure to approach the park from the rear and walk your way down to the main gate. The topography of the park itself is steep as hell, without much tree cover, and Barcelona can be quite warm in the summer.

For relaxation, my girlfriend and I rented bikes along the Barcelonetta for 6-8 euros. We biked along the length of the boardwalk in the early evening. The beach itself is rather unremarkable but serviceable. The Born neighborhood/La Ribera is great for browsing and shopping. My girlfriend always buys a thing or two in this area.

Food is my favorite part of Barcelona. Since I'm treating the girlfriend, I cannot really afford the high end places like Cinc Sentis, Hisop, etc. The people at Chowhound seem to be really high on modern Catalan cuisine (heavy on the molecular gastronomy). Our favorite restaurant was Catalana Cerveceria. Lots of anchovy options--the best of the best were the "fried little fishes". Avoid tripadvisor for restaurant recommendations--I tried a place ranked #8-9 and it was the most mediocre meal of my vacation (Paris & Barcelona).

For cheap eats, visit La Boqueria in the morning and grab some fresh fruit, cheese, and jamon. The seafood was also amazing, but I didnt have anything to prepare razor clams on the spot.

BTW, have fun.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  9. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

^ I've been lurking here since I'll be in Barcelona for the first time in July. Thanks for the tips. And I'd already been meaning to try Catalana Cerveceria, so now I'm really interested in it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  10. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Member

Haven't left yet. I'm leaving for Ireland next week, and will head to Barcelona after. Thanks for the great tips!

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

+1 on the Gaudi buildings, but see the less known ones as well. Even apt buildings, its interesting to see people living in them.

12. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

As mentioned, the museums are pretty cool and you can get a pass for most of them for something like 26 euro. It doesn't include casa azul, the gaudi house that's probably most worth seeing, which is another 18 euro or so. Worth it. Barceloneta is nice to walk around in, interesting little seaside neighborhood, and the beach itself is really nice (and man-made, which is interesting).

If you're under 30, definitely hit up the Razzmatazz on a weekend. The smaller rooms upstairs are usually better than the main floor.

Depending on how much time you have, walking the length of passeig de gracia can be worth it, really cool architecture. Also, north of the Diagonal metro station is an awesome neighborhood, worth wandering around in - tons of cool shops.

The food there mostly sucks but quince nits (in a little plaza off la rambla) is cheap and awesome. Will only be like 30 euro for a meal + drink, tops. Sit outside, get sangria and a couple entres and dessert, smoke a cigar.

Most of the dive bars can only make one or two drinks and one of these is usually a caipirinha and they usually do it really well.

Have fun :)

13. SD1

SD1 Senior member

I would recommend at least one meal here for seafood. Very simply prepared, amazing flavor.

http://www.mariscco.com/

14. TheJared

TheJared Member

Would you guys consider Barcelona a good place to go solo? I've got a week to spend in Europe (starting on the 15th). I was planning to go to Ibiza but the last-minute ticket prices increased beyond what I was wanting to spend on a solo trip, and a hot gal convinced me to stay in Italy for my birthday. A few buddies told me Madrid was a better choice, but their opinions have failed in the past.

My goals for the trip consist of eating some good food, taking landscape photos, and drinking/partying when the sun goes down.

15. david3558

david3558 Senior member