• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

barbour Wool Coat

phailing101

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a Barbour wool coat and I'm just a little confused on the sizings.

Here is an example of what I'm looking at (in Navy):

http://www.barbourbymail.co.uk/Barbo...vert-Coat.html

I wear a 44L in US Suit sizing.

Normally this would mean a 54L in UK sizing but its unclear to me whether Barbour's wool jackets are using UK sizing since the highest their sizes go is 48.

That being said, they offer a sizing guide that indicates the traditional US vs UK sizing differential.

Does anyone have experience with these jackets? I'm trying to avoid calling down there (i.e. saving me long distance charges).

Thanks!

phailing101

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm also wondering if anyone owns any of these jackets and have had the sleeves lengthened locally?

i10casual

Reaction score
Barbour are usually roomy. But you being a 44long I'd say go for the 44 for the sleeve length.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phailing101
I'm looking at purchasing a Barbour wool coat and I'm just a little confused on the sizings.

Here is an example of what I'm looking at (in Navy):

http://www.barbourbymail.co.uk/Barbo...vert-Coat.html

That being said, they offer a sizing guide that indicates the traditional US vs UK sizing differential.

Does anyone have experience with these jackets? I'm trying to avoid calling down there (i.e. saving me long distance charges).

Thanks!

Nice coat.

As previously stated the UK/US sizing is identical.

I've not got this coat, but own a few Barbour jackets including the Hardy peacoat. Sizing tends to be slightly generous to allow for layers. I'm between a 42" and 44" depending on brand. A 42 gave me a close fit, but needed a 44" to wear a heavyweight sweater or light sports jacket underneath. My guess would be a 44 regular would be fine, but if you want to make sure the main Barbour website has an email enquiry form, and they're generally pretty helpful: http://www.barbour.com/index.cfm?fus...n=contact.form

phailing101

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Nice coat.

As previously stated the UK/US sizing is identical.

I've not got this coat, but own a few Barbour jackets including the Hardy peacoat. Sizing tends to be slightly generous to allow for layers. I'm between a 42" and 44" depending on brand. A 42 gave me a close fit, but needed a 44" to wear a heavyweight sweater or light sports jacket underneath. My guess would be a 44 regular would be fine, but if you want to make sure the main Barbour website has an email enquiry form, and they're generally pretty helpful: http://www.barbour.com/index.cfm?fus...n=contact.form

Thanks- does your coat have room in the sleeves to be extended if necessary?

PS- that Hardy pea coat is gorgeous. Would be all over it or one of their tweed coats if I didn't have a pressing need for an over coat!

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phailing101
Thanks- does your coat have room in the sleeves to be extended if necessary?

PS- that Hardy pea coat is gorgeous. Would be all over it or one of their tweed coats if I didn't have a pressing need for an over coat!

Probably enough material but there's banded stitching so it might not be easy. For reference on the 44R Hardy peacoat pit to sleeve end is 17.5" shoulder seam to sleeve end is 26.5 - I guess the coat would be similar.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.