• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour, where made?

tjchung

Reaction score
OK, so I have 2 Barbour wax cotton coats and love them both. One is a Barbour Lumely that I bought at a local Orvis shop. The other is a Sapper that I got on sale at the local Macys.

However, the Lumely, which is the more expensive of the 2 has no origin of manufacture written on the lable. The Sapper has "Made in England" written on its label.

So this got me thinking, does Barbour sub-con out its more recent contemporary line, such as the Lumley to other countries, while keeping its more classic line of coats such as the Sapper for manufacture in its UK factories? Or are there gray-market Barbours floating around that I'm not aware of?

Another interesting this is that my wife was looking at Barbour quilted jackets at the Barbour store, and some had the triple crown classic label, while others didn't. Can anyone explain what is going with all these wildly different labels?

BareSolid

Reaction score
Britain still has industry? I could have sworn that Mrs Thatcher saw to it that it didn't! Things still being made in England? Praise the Lord!

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
Britain still has industry? I could have sworn that Mrs Thatcher saw to it that it didn't! Things still being made in England? Praise the Lord!

Little English babies?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
fwiw, a Barbour (and a Harrington) I got from last year were still made in the good ol' United States of Britain.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
depends on the model. the wax cotton stuff, yes. the lightweight breathable stuff, no.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, you just asked the million dollar Q.
The wax cotton stuff is mostly Made in England...the rest can be made in Bulgara, Croatia, Lituania, Indonesia, India (for leather jackets)....and on and on....

Regards.
PS. Interesting as I just unboxed my 3 new Barbours that arrived today!

Material Boy

Reaction score
tjchung;2648082 said:
OK, so I have 2 Barbour wax cotton coats and love them both. One is a Barbour Lumely that I bought at a local Orvis shop. The other is a Sapper that I got on sale at the local Macys.

Which Macys carry Barbour?

JensenH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tjchung
However, the Lumely, which is the more expensive of the 2 has no origin of manufacture written on the lable. The Sapper has "Made in England" written on its label.

So this got me thinking, does Barbour sub-con out its more recent contemporary line, such as the Lumley to other countries, while keeping its more classic line of coats such as the Sapper for manufacture in its UK factories? Or are there gray-market Barbours floating around that I'm not aware of?

All clothing sold in the U.S. must have a tag showing the country in which it was made. Look into the inside pockets and you will find a tag with the country of origin. In addition to those countries mentioned by another poster, Barbours are also made in New Zealand and Portugal.

Yes, and that is why England is again competitive globally.

tjchung

Reaction score
Material Boy;2649319 said:
Originally Posted by tjchung

Which Macys carry Barbour?

The Flagship Macy's store at Herald Square in Manhattan, NYC.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My overcoat is made in Bulgaria (or was it Romania)? I thought it was crazy considering the asking price. I got it an an outlet.

emakris

Reaction score
One could argue that Mrs Thatcher is the reason why the UK is not in deeper recession and, coincidentally, one could argue that the British industry has never suffered more than under the current Labour government. But never mind that; the point is that quite a fair bit of British labels still make some of their clothing in England. I only have one pair of shoes that is not made in England, most of my Pink shirts are made in the UK as are most of my Dunhill accessories and so on. Barbour is one of the companies that make some of their stuff here and, unfortunately, a lot of their stuff elsewhere.

Nevertheless, it is true that the British industry is disappearing.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emakris
One could argue that Mrs Thatcher is the reason why the UK is not in deeper recession and, coincidentally, one could argue that the British industry has never suffered more than under the current Labour government. But never mind that; the point is that quite a fair bit of British labels still make some of their clothing in England. I only have one pair of shoes that is not made in England, most of my Pink shirts are made in the UK as are most of my Dunhill accessories and so on. Barbour is one of the companies that make some of their stuff here and, unfortunately, a lot of their stuff elsewhere. Nevertheless, it is true that the British industry is disappearing.
An attack on the 80s government was certainly not intended to be a defence of the present one. I'm quite sick of revolutionary governments in Britain.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just bought a Barbour Challenger online from a British store and surprisingly, I can't find a "Made In" tag anywhere on it. I think I've checked everywhere but if someone knows where on the garment they might usually hide such a thing, I'd look again.

That said, construction seems above par though I haven't had the chance to truly wear it in the elements yet.

Beetleything

Reaction score
I just bought a beautiful Barbour jacket brand new of a supplier in the UK.
They ship it for free and you get 1 free shipping if you want to change it for a different size.

Anyway the tag with it has a history of Barbour and they are still made in the UK in .......

Barbour's headquarters are still in Simonside, South Shields. Although it sources products from around the globe, Barbour's classic wax jackets are still manufactured by hand in the factory in Simonside and each year over 100,000 jackets are processed via the central, subsidiary and local customer service operations.

That's from there VERY informative website....with history etc....
check it out....

http://www.barbour.com/index.cfm

I also got a free Barbour scarf with the jacket which was wool and was made in Scotland which was nice as i am Scottish!!
smile.gif

Expat Simon

Reaction score
I am writing this tardy response, because I feel that this is an essential part of using the internet.

Unfortunately several of the responses above are incorrect. Not all Barbour wax jackets are 'Made in England'. As I have just found out to my disgust.

I bought a Barbour wax jacket from their own factory shop, built onto their HQ in Jarrow, South Shields.

I asked their own shop staff about where their wax jackets were made:
Barbour shop staff "All of our wax jackets are made in the UK, but some other items are imported"
I found the jacket I wanted, it contained no 'Made in...this country' label, so I asked about the specific jacket:
Barbour shop staff "It is made here, all of our wax jackets are made in the UK"
I took it to the cash register, feeling slightly dubious and for reassurance asked one last time:
Barbour shop staff "Made here. All of our wax jackets are made in the UK"

I bought it, but always felt suspicious about the lack of a 'Made in England' label. So I risked the deflated feeling which might follow, and e-mailed their customer service dept asking why it had no Made in England label.
I got a cut & pasted response which went on at length about their pride in UK manufacturing, but they didn't answer my very simple question.
I asked again, more forcefully.
I was told to provide the code number from the inner label, which I did.
They replied explaining that that particular wax jacket "was made overseas"
I expressed my disgust at being deceived by their own staff, and by their own deceitful labeling.
I received a reply basically saying "thanks for bringing that to our attention".

And that's the last I heard from them.

I am not writing this to taint Barbours name, but to warn other SF members. Yes, I kept the e-mail thread so I can prove this. I also gave them sufficient opportunity to fix it before writing this post.

A decent company would have immediately said 'sorry', and also 'let us refund you / or replace for an English jacket'. They've done nothing, so this post is entirely justifiable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads