• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour Stinks

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talk about a position that has not aged well.
The Barbour jacket I have is my very first vintage purchase. I am taking several steps to get rid of any funny smells, as it would bother me if it lingered in the air or rubbed off onto my clothes. I’m already feeling more sceptical about making such purchases in future. We’ll have to see.

Nice that my comment brought this thread alive. :)

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mrjamescost, I would not judge vintage/used purchases based on an older Barbour. I always get a hint of that smell no matter what I do with my older Barbours. I'm older myself and have been wearing them for at least 60 years. But I'll admit that I haven't purchased one of the newer ones since "the change".

As for buying vintage, I've been a bespoke (Savile Row / multiple firms) customer since the 70s and I don't hesitate to buy a high quality used article of clothing from time to time. And given the price advantage, I can afford to make a mistake occasionally (and I do). It all started when I saw a grass green Kiton sport coat. It had the most vivid blue windowpane ... and I "needed" that coat. Its being used didn't dim that desire. Just a few weeks ago I picked up a used but lovely Oxxford windowpane coat in blues and grays ... in near perfect condition. It looks so nice I'll probably wear it to a party being held for a niece about to marry.

These items I buy "vintage" fit right in with the things I have made bespoke or buy retail. When I put them on I don't think much about how I acquired them ... just how much I enjoy them.

Last edited:

Tseg

Reaction score
I have a new Classic Bedale and recently purchased a Classic Beaufort, circa 2000 (has the cursive Barbour logo). My Bedale has absolutely no odor... the Beaufort had a horrifying odor when I opened the package, it absolutely filled the room. I can't even describe that smell. I'm on week three of deoderizing it. It physically is actually in mint shape and the fabric was super dry with the color faded to a light olive (before I reproofed it, one of my 20 deoderizing steps). After scrubbing down with vinegar and hydrogen peroxide then airing out over night and then during the day, I preproofed it. From there I let it air out another couple days outside... after the reproofing the color darkened up to look exactly like my new Bedale, but the fabric looks a bit more like an Original Barbour vs. Classic as it has a bit of a shiny cast too it. The musty smell evolved... to what I can only describe as sickly-sweet fermented old-lady perfume. It was not pungent, but it was strong and made me want to puke. I then spent several days spritzing it with vodka. This definitely knocked the edge off. The jacket then spent several days in a sealed container with activated carbon and baking soda. Finally, several more days of vodka dowsing. And yet there was still odor. I then spent a couple days scrubbing down the jacket with fresh lemon juice. Finally, the whiff of oldy lady perfume was gone. I put it out in the sun yet again for good measure. All smells were essentially gone. Now a few days later my jacket has a returning odor. What I can only describe as a proper musty wax smell. The lining really has no odor and the musty wax smell on the outside is not overbearing. But considering that musty smell did not exist a day or two ago I'm a bit concerned the smell may grow.

Anyway, it looks like my Bedale will be used in social settings and the Beaufort will be used around the house for outside chores and for proper outdoor weather impacted activities. After what I put the old Beaufort through, I really don't think old Barbour wax jacket odors can be completely eliminated. I just hope my Bedale does not evolve to that smell. The rumor I heard was within the past 20 years Barbour did away with a paraffin-based wax to something else. Any jacket originally made with the paraffin-based wax will have that vintage Barbour smell. The newer ones should not get that smell. Not sure how true the rumor is?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put Barbour jackets in the category of clothes that are not meant to buy used, along with underwear and sneakers. Really, just save up $400 and buy new.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a new Classic Bedale and recently purchased a Classic Beaufort, circa 2000 (has the cursive Barbour logo). My Bedale has absolutely no odor... the Beaufort had a horrifying odor when I opened the package, it absolutely filled the room. I can't even describe that smell. I'm on week three of deoderizing it. It physically is actually in mint shape and the fabric was super dry with the color faded to a light olive (before I reproofed it, one of my 20 deoderizing steps). After scrubbing down with vinegar and hydrogen peroxide then airing out over night and then during the day, I preproofed it. From there I let it air out another couple days outside... after the reproofing the color darkened up to look exactly like my new Bedale, but the fabric looks a bit more like an Original Barbour vs. Classic as it has a bit of a shiny cast too it. The musty smell evolved... to what I can only describe as sickly-sweet fermented old-lady perfume. It was not pungent, but it was strong and made me want to puke. I then spent several days spritzing it with vodka. This definitely knocked the edge off. The jacket then spent several days in a sealed container with activated carbon and baking soda. Finally, several more days of vodka dowsing. And yet there was still odor. I then spent a couple days scrubbing down the jacket with fresh lemon juice. Finally, the whiff of oldy lady perfume was gone. I put it out in the sun yet again for good measure. All smells were essentially gone. Now a few days later my jacket has a returning odor. What I can only describe as a proper musty wax smell. The lining really has no odor and the musty wax smell on the outside is not overbearing. But considering that musty smell did not exist a day or two ago I'm a bit concerned the smell may grow.

Anyway, it looks like my Bedale will be used in social settings and the Beaufort will be used around the house for outside chores and for proper outdoor weather impacted activities. After what I put the old Beaufort through, I really don't think old Barbour wax jacket odors can be completely eliminated. I just hope my Bedale does not evolve to that smell. The rumor I heard was within the past 20 years Barbour did away with a paraffin-based wax to something else. Any jacket originally made with the paraffin-based wax will have that vintage Barbour smell. The newer ones should not get that smell. Not sure how true the rumor is?

Not sure why you needed to necro this thread, when I already gave you the answer in the other thread. I'll say it again: send it to New England Reproofers for their odor removal service. I had the same experience and that basically took care of the smell. I wear my 90s Bedale in social settings all the time.

And the change in the wax formula isn't a "rumor." Barbour says exactly this on their official website:

There have been improvements and changes in the production and manufacturing of waxed fabrics since the 1930s and the material has been refined over the decades including around 2005, the removal of the distinctive smelling cupro-ammonia from the paraffin wax, to create the unique wax cotton that Barbour is famous for today. But there are in fact several different types of waxed cotton that we use, and there are quite big differences in look, touch and performance between each one.

Thus, your newer Bedale will not develop the musty crayon smell that older Barbours like your Beaufort develop. Older waxed Belstaffs also develop this smell (I have one), where newer ones do not.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

As @Spaghettimatt said, New England Reproofers will get rid of the smell for you. I think it's fine to buy used Barbours and many of the secondhand versions will look better than the pristine new jackets that are kept looking pristine by people who don't do anything in them. However, when you buy used, you can end up with a stinky jacket, as you have here. NER strips off the old wax, deodorizes the garment, and then applies a fresh coat of new wax. If you're lucky, you will have an old looking coat that doesn't smell.

Tseg

Reaction score
I sent my Beaufort to New England Reproofers per everyone's advice and paid for both reproofing and deoderizing ~ $150 in total. The work was completed, and unfortunately, still has an odd perfumey smell. It is somewhat subtle, but definitely there. As I wear it I can smell it. My new Bedale has absolutely no smell. This is going to just have to be a "wear in the yard if I work outside on a drizzly day" kind of jacket, or "fishing in a boat by myself" kind of jacket. Definitely not to be worn while socializing. Very unfortunate, because I'm now close to $400 in on this jacket. I've just joined the "Don't buy a vintage Barbour" Club. What is odd is there are definitely areas of fabric that have more smell than others. My lower left sleeve is particularly fragrant. I can bury my nose in my upper right shoulder and smell nothing. The lining seems to have no smell.

Last edited:

dougc33

Reaction score
I sent my Beaufort to New England Reproofers per everyone's advice and paid for both reproofing and deoderizing ~ $150 in total. The work was completed, and unfortunately, still has an odd perfumey smell. It is somewhat subtle, but definitely there. As I wear it I can smell it. My new Bedale has absolutely no smell. This is going to just have to be a "wear in the yard if I work outside on a drizzly day" kind of jacket, or "fishing in a boat by myself" kind of jacket. Definitely not to be worn while socializing. Very unfortunate, because I'm now close to $400 in on this jacket. I've just joined the "Don't buy a vintage Barbour" Club. What is odd is there are definitely areas of fabric that have more smell than others. My lower left sleeve is particularly fragrant. I can bury my nose in my upper right shoulder and smell nothing. The lining seems to have no smell.

Big shout out to @Tseg for necro-posting this thread - some top-notch edumacation going on here!

Tseg

Reaction score
Big shout out to @Tseg for necro-posting this thread - some top-notch edumacation going on here!
Hey thanks for the shout out, forum etiquette police! If I started a new thread on this I'm sure you would have let me know old threads exist as well. Thanks for caring!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads