• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

barbour jackets

RicPac

Reaction score
i tried searching but found nothing or nothing relatively what im looking for, my question is, what is the appeal behind barbour?? im looking into buying one but i seen some people say the jackets smell weird? also there are so many styles what would be right for a east coast fall/winter?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i tried searching but found nothing or nothing relatively what im looking for, my question is, what is the appeal behind barbour?? im looking into buying one but i seen some people say the jackets smell weird? also there are so many styles what would be right for a east coast fall/winter?

Do you own a horse or have any interest in equine type things?
Do you live in the countryside?

If the answer is NO to both these questions, then Barbour is probably not for you.

Last edited:

E TF

Reaction score

Do you own a horse or have any interest in equine type things?
Do you live in the countryside?

If the answer is NO to both these questions, then Barbour is probably not for you.

Well Mike they also make shooting clothes, not just horsey stuff, so for the sake of completeness you should add that to the list.

E TF

Reaction score

Why do you want to buy one if you don't know what the appeal is?

A long time ago, English aristocrats wore Barbours while shooting/fishing/riding in their country estates: no doubt they were the best technology available at the time for keeping the rain off while outdoors. As ever, socially aspirant people in lower circles emulated them so far as they could. Over a number of decades this process spread from the upper middle class, to the middle middle, the lower middle, the working class, americans, and finally, in the last few years, hipsters. The chain is so long now that the hipsters are probably barely even aware why they are wearing them.

Thus we arrive at someone who wants to buy one but doesn't quite know why.

Anyway -

The classic one to go for is the beaufort. It's unlined and won't keep you warm in the cold (it won't even keep you that dry in the wet) - it's supposed to be worn over your tweeds or wooly jumper - though it'll make you hot and sweaty if the sun comes out.

They do smell funny.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Duh. Because the Queen wears'em.

In an all seriousness, you need to decide for yourself if the look is right for you. I have 4 Barbours, and have been wearing their jackets for years (well before the hipster rollout). I think they look great (in a typically unfussy English way), last forever, and genuinely get better with age. Some smell funny, other don't. Very much depends on the piece you come upon. Fwiw, I enjoy the smell.

I don't condone the NY-look of wearing a Barbour over your suit. I wear mine exclusively with jeans or cords.

The Beaufort and Bedale are their two classic styles, but are somewhat ubiquitous and also fit like tents. Look at the Ursula, Harry or Sapper for other jackets that incorporate the Barbour ethos without the ubiquity. Stay away from the Tokihito stuff for now.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ +1. If you like it, buy it. Wearing clothes should be fun and useful for your particular/specific lifestyle. IMO Barbour are excellent, well made and will serve you well. You'll have it the rest of your life, and it will get better with age. I recently replaced my 20+ yr Bedale, handed the old trusty to my son. I wear mine exclusively with jeans/cords, casual vibe as well. If going with Bedale or Beaufort, I suggest that you size down for a better fit, even with wearing light sweater.

Last edited:

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Duh. Because the Queen wears'em.

In an all seriousness, you need to decide for yourself if the look is right for you. I have 4 Barbours, and have been wearing their jackets for years (well before the hipster rollout). I think they look great (in a typically unfussy English way), last forever, and genuinely get better with age. Some smell funny, other don't. Very much depends on the piece you come upon. Fwiw, I enjoy the smell.

I don't condone the NY-look of wearing a Barbour over your suit. I wear mine exclusively with jeans or cords.

The Beaufort and Bedale are their two classic styles, but are somewhat ubiquitous and also fit like tents. Look at the Ursula, Harry or Sapper for other jackets that incorporate the Barbour ethos without the ubiquity. Stay away from the Tokihito stuff for now.

Are the Beaufort and Bedale the kind of jackets thar are only appropriate with jeans?

peach

Reaction score
RicPac , the attraction is protection from the elements , sturdy construction and they are practically bullet proof which means years of use.I believe they look better after several years of use.I have ridden thousands of miles in Barbour and Belstaff waxed cotton and am usually the driest and warmest of my crew. They come lined and unlined , none of mine have funny smells.

Last edited:

Balfour

Reaction score
... IMO Barbour are excellent, well made and will serve you well. You'll have it the rest of your life, and it will get better with age. I recently replaced my 20+ yr Bedale, handed the old trusty to my son. I wear mine exclusively with jeans/cords, casual vibe as well. If going with Bedale or Beaufort, I suggest that you size down for a better fit, even with wearing light sweater.
What this chap said. They manage to combine practical attributes with something that looks appropriate. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a gortex fleece, but will gladly throw on a Barbour on the weekends or in the country. Just never, never over a suit.

dirkweems

Reaction score
The special appeal? Thornproof. I have found them to be better than Northface type jackets when it is cold and wet. Bone chilling wet and cold. But not snow. They are comfortable and practical in the country. I don't know where you live but if you spend time in Yorkshire, Elgin, or even the Lake District in the winter months, you will wish you had a Barbour jacket. The smell is the wax. I quite like it, perhaps because I enjoy the country. Waxed cotton jackets are becoming popular in the US and sometimes you see douchebag wannabees wear them over a suit. Check it out for yourself. Hang around Grand Central at 7 in the morning in the fall and watch the trains come in from suburbs like Southport. You will never see anybody in London wear a waxed cotton jacket over a suit.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in an ancient sporting goods store in London in the mid 80's. I was looking at Barbours and the elderly salesman said, "I never understood the growing appeal of these jackets. After all, the farmers wear them to slop the pigs." :)

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was in an ancient sporting goods store in London in the mid 80's. I was looking at Barbours and the elderly salesman said, "I never understood the growing appeal of these jackets. After all, the farmers wear them to slop the pigs." :)

You really don't need to mention the same story on every Barbour thread on SF :happy:

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two things I've noticed about the Beaufort.

-With the appropriate lining/vest, it can be quite warm....as in, warm enough in snowy weather just over a light sweater.

-that back pocket (the one that can open with zipper on both side, designed to supposedly hold a dead small game after a hunt) is super useful to hold lots of stuff without being bulky

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads