barbour jackets

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RicPac, Aug 9, 2012.

1. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I have a Bedale, a Beaufort and an International. The latter (a vintage model from circa 1980) is used exclusively for motorcycling. It cuts the wind just as well as my leather MC jacket, isn't quite as bulky and has more pockets. With the snap-in insulating liner, it's every bit as warm, if not moreso. Plus, everyone who rides a motorcycle, it seems, has a leather jacket. A synthetic would likely out-perform it, but I don't do the cross-country rides I once did, so this is fine. The Bedale and Beaufort are harder to justify. I guess I just like the way they look, I got them secondhand but in like-new condition for not a lot of money and I like the idea that they'll last decades. Ran into a guy at the post office a few months ago who was wearing an ancient Bedale. It really looked stunning, in an honestly worn kind of way. He said he'd had it for 30 years. It really is a matter of taste, in the end.

2. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I have a lot of Barbour, including some of the semi technical synthetic stuff. It looks good, goes with most everything and is well made, and that includes the offshore made stuff. A Beaufort can be worn over a suit or odd jacket. A Bedale can be worn over a sweater or shirt. My Linhope featherweight is great for hiking, and my ripstop Utility has proven to be the ultimate travel jacket.

3. Joker Man

Joker Man Senior member

If you bought a used jacket from 1980 it's already worn out and is not going to last decades. Cotton deteriorates with age even if it's just hanging in your closet.It becomes stiffer and those waxed jackets wlil crack with age even if you never wear them

4. dirkweems

dirkweems Well-Known Member

Yes. And as this is a Gentleman's forum. Some of us here are Gentleman Farmers. I post this from my country home and you can wager that there are a couple of Barbour jackets and hunter boots by the front and back doors. I don't have pigs but I do go for a long walk every evening and the weather can change quickly, even in the summer. Do I care if my boots, trousers or jackets get wet or muddy or seem to attract every thorn and burr in the woods? No. That's the appeal of a Barbour jacket. Comfort and practicality.

As for the snow, they are warm, especially with the warm pile lining. You can wear them in the snow, but I have other more appropriate clothing. Doesn't snow much here anyway. More hail and sleet.

As for slopping pigs...I've had horses and sheep, but don't have time right now so have seconded them to neighboring farms. I would certainly love to have pigs, "wonderful magical animal". "Porkchops and bacon, two of my favorite animals".

5. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

:)

6. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

Many of us who shoot driven birds have moved to Musto as an alternative to Barbour that has not yet been invaded by the street wear crowd.

[​IMG]

7. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

This I don't understand. For 50-odd years a family wears a Barbour to muck out horses, walk dogs and shoot game. They claim it is a purely utilitarian piece and not to be considered anything more. Then hipsters get hold of it and now we must stop? I have to avoid wearing hunter boots because some Sloan Square set started? In ten years will a William Evans gun be cliche?

Either the damn coat is good at it's job or it isn't. If you start picking up different brands because some hipster/wannabe/celebrity has taken to your preferred brand then you're just as much of a hipster as they are. You liked Barbour before they were cool?

</rant>

What I'm saying is - if you wanna stay warm and dry then great. If you want some kind of prestige, or halo effect then there are much more effective ways to achieve it.

8. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

What this chap said. Everything I've ever worn has only been fashionable - as opposed to stylish - by accident.

9. Joker Man

Joker Man Senior member

You damn nouveau middle class have ruined everything [​IMG]

10. Apollotrader

Touchy, touchy!!

I was simply offering a worthwhile authentic alternative to Barbour. Stop being fucking tools.

11. Apollotrader

and William Evans guns are shite.

just kidding!!

12. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

I love how the guy accusing others of being 'touchy' is the one to end his post with an insult. You showed'em, champ!

Fwiw, I have a Musto and its a different beast than the Barbour. Apples and Oranges.

13. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

I've been accused of many things, but this is a first.[​IMG]

14. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

Quite re. insult. I've never tried a Musto - what are the main differences?

15. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Barbour jackets is the best, I have a few that I wear when i'm riding or just with a casual outfit.

Here is a recent picture with me wearing one:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012