• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

barbour international

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
Does anybody know the fabric weight of the belstaff roadmaster? I know the international is 8oz and I've been meaning to get one for winter use. The fit of the roadmaster just seems better so I might opt for that if it's as thick.
i understand that people dont like the boxy fit of the a7 but thats why if you size down, it fits better ... so are those who love the roadmaster over the international comparing the OTR sizing or think the fit is better even with sizing down on the international? i never tried roadmaster but sizing down to a 34 in the international from my typical 36 felt and looked great

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I don't really understand people sizing down on the A7. If you wear a pressure suit underneath (which, since it's not armored, I expect you would), you'll definitely need your true size. I'm a 41R in suits, and wear a 42 A7. I could not fit a jersey and a pressure suit underneath a size 40.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
I don't really understand people sizing down on the A7. If you wear a pressure suit underneath (which, since it's not armored, I expect you would), you'll definitely need your true size. I'm a 41R in suits, and wear a 42 A7. I could not fit a jersey and a pressure suit underneath a size 40.

Would you only wear boots that were wingtip brogues when hunting in the English countryside?

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tween_spirit
Would you only wear boots that were wingtip brogues when hunting in the English countryside?
It's more like "Would I buy wingtip brogues that were too small because I thought they looked cooler?" The answer to which would be,"No."

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
It's more like "Would I buy wingtip brogues that were too small because I thought they looked cooler?" The answer to which would be,"No."

not because it looks cooler but maybe fits better? why would i buy a size 36 when it fits like im wearing a box, when i could buy a 34 and it fits me more tailored?

and the jacket doesnt HAVE to be worn with the liner vest. for those who want to wear with the liner, i would assume the liner is sized jsut like the jacket ... HUGE! so sizing down shouldn't be terrible (i wouldn't know since ive never tried the international with the a55 liner attached)

bigbjorn

Reaction score
My point was should you actually want to wear this jacket for its intended purpose -- riding a motorcycle in wet weather -- you should not size down. You cannot size down in the Int'l and fit a pressure suit underneath it.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
not because it looks cooler but maybe fits better? why would i buy a size 36 when it fits like im wearing a box, when i could buy a 34 and it fits me more tailored?

and the jacket doesnt HAVE to be worn with the liner vest. for those who want to wear with the liner, i would assume the liner is sized jsut like the jacket ... HUGE! so sizing down shouldn't be terrible (i wouldn't know since ive never tried the international with the a55 liner attached)

I wear mine with the liner and couldn't size down and wear a thickish sweater - I could just get away with sizing down with just the liner over a shirt. I don't cuurently ride, but having seen pressure jackets you wouldn't want to size down with one of those underneath.

One thing to watch if you do size down is sleeve length - the sleeves aren't that long...

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
One thing to watch if you do size down is sleeve length - the sleeves aren't that long...

Agreed.

The A7 is a bit boxy yes. But reading through a few people's quotes in here, I keep thinking to myself, "why not wear it like that?" People who know what it's about will like it, and people who don't don't matter.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
Does anybody know the fabric weight of the belstaff roadmaster? I know the international is 8oz and I've been meaning to get one for winter use. The fit of the roadmaster just seems better so I might opt for that if it's as thick.

Should be 6oz. BTW I can my roadmaster in pretty cold weather without feeling too cold.

tunnelrat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
Ended going with a JCrew British Millerain Oilcloth Field Jacket..

This one's really nice.. Ok, so Kakadu's out. Do you know anything about this one? Looks kinda good. (Btw. does anyone wear this kind of jacket over a suit jacket? Not with a full suit, I mean like jeans, shirt and a jacket. I know it's not very motorcycle-style, but I rarely go out without one and I'm not sure whether wax cotton jacket would look good over one.)

justjoined11

Reaction score
Just wondering some of the thoughts on the Barbour International Nylon jacket? It's quite cheap at the moment and I won't need it for very cold or rainy weather.. wanted to know someones appraisal of the item for the price and weather it will stand up in a bit of rain? Thanks

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
For the £100 I paid for the Nylon International, I'm quite fond of it. It's stood up to some pretty heavy thundershowers I've found myself in and wore it when sightseeing around Niagara Falls instead of wearing the ponchos given. I was much drier.

ctck

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I've already ordered an A7 International, but being the sad human being that I am, I'm seeking some consolidation from you guys. Size-wise..

I ordered the 42. My chest is, lets say 104 cm on average (or about 41 inches for you not familiar with the system everyone but the US in the industrialized world uses, the metric system). Am I going to encounter problems?

I've read that people size some up, some down, and I don't know what to think! My biggest argument for choosing true/slightly bigger size is that I'm pretty tall, approx 193 cm (sigh.. 6'4") to be on the safe side, and I'm pretty thin aswell, 80kg (.. 175lb, 12.6 stone whatever).

So on one hand I know the torso on my Intern. is gonna be huge, but I don't want too short sleeves, right?

(hopefully I'll buy a Triumph at some point aswell, but until then I'm just a regular poser ;)

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello everyone.
I've already ordered an A7 International, but being the sad human being that I am, I'm seeking some consolidation from you guys. Size-wise..

I ordered the 42. My chest is, lets say 104 cm on average (or about 41 inches for you not familiar with the system everyone but the US in the industrialized world uses, the metric system). Am I going to encounter problems?

I've read that people size some up, some down, and I don't know what to think! My biggest argument for choosing true/slightly bigger size is that I'm pretty tall, approx 193 cm (sigh.. 6'4") to be on the safe side, and I'm pretty thin aswell, 80kg (.. 175lb, 12.6 stone whatever).

So on one hand I know the torso on my Intern. is gonna be huge, but I don't want too short sleeves, right?

(hopefully I'll buy a Triumph at some point aswell, but until then I'm just a regular poser ;)

I'm not really familiar with measuring chests in the metric system either ;) At 6'4" though you might find the sleeves are still a bit short - I'm 6'1" and on a 42" the sleeves are okay but I wouldn't want them any shorter (shirt sleeve wise I normally buy 36.5-37" ). If you're wearing the jacket without the optional liner over just a shirt then yes the torso is likely to be very roomy - if you're planning on adding the liner or wearing it over a thick sweater it shouldn't be too far off.

ctck

Reaction score
I'm not really familiar with measuring chests in the metric system either
wink.gif
At 6'4" though you might find the sleeves are still a bit short - I'm 6'1" and on a 42" the sleeves are okay but I wouldn't want them any shorter (shirt sleeve wise I normally buy 36.5-37" ). If you're wearing the jacket without the optional liner over just a shirt then yes the torso is likely to be very roomy - if you're planning on adding the liner or wearing it over a thick sweater it shouldn't be too far off.

Thanks for the reply man, I've seen you post about the sleeves before.. I'm happy I didn't size down then, we'll just have to see if they're still too short though.
I measured my own sleeves hastily and I don't think they we're as long as yours.. But then again I meaured myself, using a nylon strap which I then compared to a ruler so I wouldn't trust the data with my life :p

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads