1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

barbour international

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by robinsongreen68, Sep 17, 2008.

1. justjoined11

justjoined11 Senior member

Just wondering some of the thoughts on the Barbour International Nylon jacket? It's quite cheap at the moment and I won't need it for very cold or rainy weather.. wanted to know someones appraisal of the item for the price and weather it will stand up in a bit of rain? Thanks

2. Marcellionheart

Marcellionheart Senior member

For the £100 I paid for the Nylon International, I'm quite fond of it. It's stood up to some pretty heavy thundershowers I've found myself in and wore it when sightseeing around Niagara Falls instead of wearing the ponchos given. I was much drier.

3. ctck

ctck Member

Hello everyone.
    I've already ordered an A7 International, but being the sad human being that I am, I'm seeking some consolidation from you guys. Size-wise..

I ordered the 42. My chest is, lets say 104 cm on average (or about 41 inches for you not familiar with the system everyone but the US in the industrialized world uses, the metric system). Am I going to encounter problems?

I've read that people size some up, some down, and I don't know what to think! My biggest argument for choosing true/slightly bigger size is that I'm pretty tall, approx 193 cm (sigh.. 6'4") to be on the safe side, and I'm pretty thin aswell, 80kg (.. 175lb, 12.6 stone whatever).

So on one hand I know the torso on my Intern. is gonna be huge, but I don't want too short sleeves, right?

(hopefully I'll buy a Triumph at some point aswell, but until then I'm just a regular poser ;)

4. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I'm not really familiar with measuring chests in the metric system either ;) At 6'4" though you might find the sleeves are still a bit short - I'm 6'1" and on a 42" the sleeves are okay but I wouldn't want them any shorter (shirt sleeve wise I normally buy 36.5-37" ). If you're wearing the jacket without the optional liner over just a shirt then yes the torso is likely to be very roomy - if you're planning on adding the liner or wearing it over a thick sweater it shouldn't be too far off.

5. ctck

ctck Member

Thanks for the reply man, I've seen you post about the sleeves before.. I'm happy I didn't size down then, we'll just have to see if they're still too short though.
    I measured my own sleeves hastily and I don't think they we're as long as yours.. But then again I meaured myself, using a nylon strap which I then compared to a ruler so I wouldn't trust the data with my life :p

6. ctck

ctck Member

And yes, since the temperature here this month dropped to -35 degrees (celsius, that is, or -31 F) I will be getting the optional lining ;)

7. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

If you want an Internatlonal, I recommend trying it on before buying it (or, at least, buying online from a dealer with a generous return policy).

Personally, I´m very happy with mine. I wear it much more than my Beaufort, I prefer the look for urban wear, and I think it´s versatile enough for both a suit or for a casual weekend.

However, it´s definitely a more tailored fit, so there´s little margin for error if you get a size that´s too small.

I wouldn´t recommend it for sub-freezing temperatures but it is my go-to jacket when temps are higher. My A7, with it´s optional liner, is somewhat better in really cold temps.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  8. ctck

ctck Member

My biggest concern at this point is the sleeve length, but I THINK I might be on the safe side.. Definitely would've been more hesitant if I'd sized down. The chest size will sort itself out I think, I recall during service the army jackets being pretty generous in that area , to fit shirt, sweaters, body armour and such, and I remember them as being quite alright :)

9. mystix

mystix Well-Known Member

Do these jackets ever go on sale?

I was able to get it on sale at club monaco for 299 but the smallest size they had was a 36, which was too small. I really want this jacket and I am starting to think I might have to pay full price for a 34. But if there are sales every now and then, I am able to wait.

10. Seel1138

Seel1138 Member

Looking for a Barbour Greenham from the Steve McQueen collection. Wondering what the fit is like and where I can find one. Thanks.

11. ctck

ctck Member

Finally got my International today, and I'm very happy with it. Ordered my (almost, slightly bigger) true size, and I don't really see the fuzz about sizing down etc, I think I look really skinny in it, haha.
    The sleeves would've been too short if I'd ordered any less size, come to think of it, this actually fits rather like my Harris Tweed Hamish sports jacket, sleeve and length wise (size 38).
    I'm kind of used to longer sleeves I think but my wrists don't feel exposed, unless I try to elongate my arms a bit and look like a right twat.

(sorry for the crappy quality, I only have my camera phone camera, and it requires something like 2 ordinary suns to get decent lighting)
    [​IMG]

Sleeves look a bit short, eh? They actually look alright when I don't bend my arm backwards, like in this gay posing picture...

12. mystix

mystix Well-Known Member

Those sleeves does look quite short in that position. How tall are you and what are your measurements?

I thought I got a 38 as it said so on the paper tag, but I found the inner label that indicates a 36.

I am 5'8 and 145lbs and the jacket is quite large and I need to size down. I am hoping the inner tag is the correct size and I will need a 34.

Where did you buy jacket? It looks like I have to order my size through UK retailers

13. ctck

ctck Member

It does bug me a bit.. But I think that if I order a 44 it will be too big in other places.. Ah, compromise :)
    I'm 193 cm tall, 104 cm chest, approximately. My sleeves are hm, something like 89-90 cm, the 42' sleeves are supposed to be 88.8 cm, so I guess that's where it falls short.. But I really hate sending stuff back ;c (to my defense, St. McQ's sleeves weren't very long either)
    My inner label says 42.

I bought mine from countryattire.com, free shipping and got a Barbour scarf for free, in total £229. Definitely cheaper than the regular prices here in sweden, they're just mental.

14. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Senior member

34 is really hard to find (its my size as well).
    I anyone needs a size 36 and up I can proxy them. Theyre $250 at the Barbour Factory store

15. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

dave sfu is the best barbour and rare hard to find rrl proxy out there :slayer:

16. mystix

mystix Well-Known Member

It has crossed my mind of making the trek to check out the factory store and orvis. Thanks for the heads up that they probably won't have it.

Looks like I will be purchasing it at country attire. Im just worried about the customs and taxes.

Does any one know how VAT would work? They gave me the option of getting free delivery or deducting Vat from the order.

I was wondering which option will be more advantagous. I live in Canada btw.

17. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Senior member

The outlet and Factory store both dont have size 34. The Outlet had one back in the fall but its been gone a long time. Orvis outlet never has anything

18. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

If the sleeves do bug you too much you can always drop Barbour an email to see how much they charge for extending the sleeves. They can sew extra material into them.

19. ctck

ctck Member

It's not really that it feels bad, I'm just worried if I look silly.. But with confidence you can get away with just about anything, so I'll put the sewing on hold for now.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  20. gamblers4

gamblers4 Active Member

I posted a link to ebay for a Barbour International jacket size 34 BUT it was made in NYLON rather than waxed cotton.

sorry all

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012