1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

barbour international

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by robinsongreen68, Sep 17, 2008.

1. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

any pics?
    actually the reason i never wore mine much is that the sleeves are pretty baggy. anyone ever had a tailor slim them down?

2. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

I loved my international until I tried on a Roadmaster. Just far better on every aspect.

3. tunnelrat

tunnelrat Well-Known Member

For those on a tighter budget, the Kakadu Nelson is a pretty good waxed cotton enduro style moto jacket.

I have a L (44-46) for sale on ebay. I'd keep it if it fit. The waxed cotton almost feels like leather in terms of weight and stiffness.

[​IMG]

Isn't the Kakadu oiled cotton instead of waxed? (I don't know whether there's any difference tho.)

4. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

^I bought one of those and returned it. Felt cheap and was very boxy.

5. tunnelrat

^I bought one of those and returned it. Felt cheap and was very boxy.

Are u talkin' about the Kakadu? Here's an interesting comparison with Barbour.

6. Johdus Fanfoozal

Are u talkin' about the Kakadu? Here's an interesting comparison with Barbour.

Yes, velcro all over the place, synthetic-lined collar and cuffs and cheap lining in body and sleave. On top of that it had a terrible fit. It was like putting on a tarp and tying it with a belt.

I wanted a Barbour/Belstaff-syle moto jacket without breaking the bank.

In this instance, I really got what I paid for.

7. tunnelrat

Yes, velcro all over the place, synthetic-lined collar and cuffs and cheap lining in body and sleave. On top of that it had a terrible fit. It was like putting on a tarp and tying it with a belt.

I wanted a Barbour/Belstaff-syle moto jacket without breaking the bank.

In this instance, I really got what I paid for.

Disappointing. (Did you have the Nelson btw? From the description on the web it shouldn't have any velcros.)

8. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

theres vanson but not really cheaper

9. wannabeagiant

wannabeagiant Senior member

Does anybody know the fabric weight of the belstaff roadmaster? I know the international is 8oz and I've been meaning to get one for winter use. The fit of the roadmaster just seems better so I might opt for that if it's as thick.

10. Johdus Fanfoozal

Disappointing. (Did you have the Nelson btw? From the description on the web it shouldn't have any velcros.)

Yes, it was the Nelson. Bought (and returned it) from a third-party seller on Amazon.

Ended going with a JCrew British Millerain Oilcloth Field Jacket, which is similar to an International except no belt. Had a tailor put brass snaps on the pockets to make it look more like a classic British Motorcycle jacket.

[​IMG]

JCrew doesn't offer it anymore, but it can be kopped NWOT on Ebay for a decent discount.

11. randomkoreandude

Does anybody know the fabric weight of the belstaff roadmaster? I know the international is 8oz and I've been meaning to get one for winter use. The fit of the roadmaster just seems better so I might opt for that if it's as thick.
    i understand that people dont like the boxy fit of the a7 but thats why if you size down, it fits better ... so are those who love the roadmaster over the international comparing the OTR sizing or think the fit is better even with sizing down on the international? i never tried roadmaster but sizing down to a 34 in the international from my typical 36 felt and looked great

12. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Senior member

I don't really understand people sizing down on the A7. If you wear a pressure suit underneath (which, since it's not armored, I expect you would), you'll definitely need your true size. I'm a 41R in suits, and wear a 42 A7. I could not fit a jersey and a pressure suit underneath a size 40.

13. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

I don't really understand people sizing down on the A7. If you wear a pressure suit underneath (which, since it's not armored, I expect you would), you'll definitely need your true size. I'm a 41R in suits, and wear a 42 A7. I could not fit a jersey and a pressure suit underneath a size 40.

Would you only wear boots that were wingtip brogues when hunting in the English countryside?

14. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Senior member

Would you only wear boots that were wingtip brogues when hunting in the English countryside?
    It's more like "Would I buy wingtip brogues that were too small because I thought they looked cooler?" The answer to which would be,"No."

15. randomkoreandude

It's more like "Would I buy wingtip brogues that were too small because I thought they looked cooler?" The answer to which would be,"No."

not because it looks cooler but maybe fits better? why would i buy a size 36 when it fits like im wearing a box, when i could buy a 34 and it fits me more tailored?

and the jacket doesnt HAVE to be worn with the liner vest. for those who want to wear with the liner, i would assume the liner is sized jsut like the jacket ... HUGE! so sizing down shouldn't be terrible (i wouldn't know since ive never tried the international with the a55 liner attached)

16. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Senior member

My point was should you actually want to wear this jacket for its intended purpose -- riding a motorcycle in wet weather -- you should not size down. You cannot size down in the Int'l and fit a pressure suit underneath it.

17. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

not because it looks cooler but maybe fits better? why would i buy a size 36 when it fits like im wearing a box, when i could buy a 34 and it fits me more tailored?

and the jacket doesnt HAVE to be worn with the liner vest. for those who want to wear with the liner, i would assume the liner is sized jsut like the jacket ... HUGE! so sizing down shouldn't be terrible (i wouldn't know since ive never tried the international with the a55 liner attached)

I wear mine with the liner and couldn't size down and wear a thickish sweater - I could just get away with sizing down with just the liner over a shirt. I don't cuurently ride, but having seen pressure jackets you wouldn't want to size down with one of those underneath.

One thing to watch if you do size down is sleeve length - the sleeves aren't that long...

18. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

One thing to watch if you do size down is sleeve length - the sleeves aren't that long...

Agreed.

The A7 is a bit boxy yes. But reading through a few people's quotes in here, I keep thinking to myself, "why not wear it like that?" People who know what it's about will like it, and people who don't don't matter.

19. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

Should be 6oz. BTW I can my roadmaster in pretty cold weather without feeling too cold.

20. tunnelrat

Ended going with a JCrew British Millerain Oilcloth Field Jacket..

This one's really nice.. Ok, so Kakadu's out. Do you know anything about this one? Looks kinda good. (Btw. does anyone wear this kind of jacket over a suit jacket? Not with a full suit, I mean like jeans, shirt and a jacket. I know it's not very motorcycle-style, but I rarely go out without one and I'm not sure whether wax cotton jacket would look good over one.)