1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

barbour international

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by robinsongreen68, Sep 17, 2008.

1. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

i'm seeing this jacket a lot on east london hipster types.. what do people think? very practical with all the rain we have over here. Are people in the us wearing them?

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I got one of these last fall. wore it to europe in the winter which was handy esp with all the pockets to carry your stuff in. I find it less wearable in LA since we have so few days of real solid rain

3. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Senior member

i'm seeing this jacket a lot on east london hipster types.. what do people think? very practical with all the rain we have over here. Are people in the us wearing them?

Great jacket, I've got two!

They've fairly recently released a slim fit version and thi season a leather version which I'm really interested in seieng in person.

You may also want to check out the Belstaff belted motorbikje jackets like the roadmaster and trialmaster

Oh, I'm not a yank.

4. erbs

erbs Senior member

Sorry to dig up an ancient thread, but I didn't know where else to post this:

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement waxed cotton belt without the wire stiffener for an International?

The belt that came with is too stiff to tie behind the jacket, and I don't really like the look of it belted.

5. ysc

ysc Senior member

Have you tried calling Barbour and talking to them? Their customer service is meant to be pretty good so they might be able to sort something out for you, if not could you de stiffen the belt/pay someone to de stiffen it?
    I haven't handled any of the International barbours, but if it is just bit of wire it seems like it could be removed.

6. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior member

I got a Barbour waxed parka jacket (recommendation from this forum) earlier this year and it's been great so far for the Vancouver rain. It's called a parka but there isn't any insulation so it's not too hot. Vancouver is rainy and windy in the winter but it never really gets that cold so the weight of the jacket is perfect.

7. erbs

erbs Senior member

8. captaincaveman

captaincaveman Member

For those on a tighter budget, the Kakadu Nelson is a pretty good waxed cotton enduro style moto jacket.

I have a L (44-46) for sale on ebay. I'd keep it if it fit. The waxed cotton almost feels like leather in terms of weight and stiffness.

[​IMG]

9. dave

dave Senior member

My pop raced enduro back in the early 70s when i was a kid and i have his old Barbour International and his old Belstaff Trialmaster. I recently went to a motorcycle show and met the guys who improt Barbour and Belstaff here in the U.S. and they had the new models of both jackets. I now have a brand new International and not a new Trialmaster.

I have worn it a bunch already abd it's every bit as nice as the original i have. Awesome jacket.

10. saelan

saelan Senior member

I've been looking at getting a Bedale jacket, but I'm concerned that it might not be warm enough for a Toronto winter. It's really more of a rain jacket, isn't it. Any thoughts?

11. svisutsiri

svisutsiri New Member

12. thinksyncopated

thinksyncopated Well-Known Member

thread revival -

How warm is the international? can it handle a chicago winter with layering underneath? I'm new to the city and have never experienced a winter (from LA) and looking for a stylish & warm jacket.

13. dave

dave Senior member

I would say no, it's not a winter coat. I live in Dallas and it's more than adequate for all but the coldest days. However, if I lived somewhere colder than this, I would definitely not count on it for a winter coat. Great for the rainy fall here though.

14. thinksyncopated

Thanks for the response. Might pick it up as a fall jacket...

I would say no, it's not a winter coat. I live in Dallas and it's more than adequate for all but the coldest days. However, if I lived somewhere colder than this, I would definitely not count on it for a winter coat. Great for the rainy fall here though.

15. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

some have detachable linings- depends on the model. however i'm not sure if even that would be sufficient for really brutal winters like the ones in chicago.

16. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Besides the Kakadu, are there any other decent Babour International or Belstaff Roadmaster knockoffs, er sorry, replicas? Anybody know the quality of John Partridge in the U.K.?

17. bluecafe

bluecafe Member

Besides the Kakadu, are there any other decent Babour International or Belstaff Roadmaster knockoffs, er sorry, replicas?

Anybody know the quality of John Partridge in the U.K.?

I've read a lot of good reviews of the custom made leather Belstaff knockoffs made by the-tannery. You can find them on the uk ebay.

18. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

thread revival -

How warm is the international? can it handle a chicago winter with layering underneath? I'm new to the city and have never experienced a winter (from LA) and looking for a stylish & warm jacket.

The A7-model that I just picked up is quite warm. I'm currently up in SLC for college, and think it will decently put me through all Fall, Winter, and probably most of spring. It's actually heavier than I expected it to be, but that's fine. Born in Chicago, I'd say that it should manage all but the coldest of days.

19. thinksyncopated

Thank you. Is this the A7? http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=14YL

The A7-model that I just picked up is quite warm. I'm currently up in SLC for college, and think it will decently put me through all Fall, Winter, and probably most of spring. It's actually heavier than I expected it to be, but that's fine. Born in Chicago, I'd say that it should manage all but the coldest of days.

20. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member