• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour Distressed International - Can I Get The Flag Removed?

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I carefully took a seam ripper to my black Barbour jacket to get rid of the big flashy yellow and black patch. I hate conspicous labels on anything. You wouldn't notice the very small pin holes in the jacket unless you were looking two inches away.

I am optimistic that it will, with time complete disappear with wear ( the jacket hardly gets warn and still looks brand new) and it wont affect the water repellent.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric
Love this jacket but hate the Union Jack plastered on the breast. Would it be easy to have removed? http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/o...7342/37342.jsp
Can the flag be removed? Sure. Is it gonna look good? No, it'll leave a dark spot where it was. Now, if you don't mind, the Union Jack is part of the "flavor" of the jacket, why do you hate it so much?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
I am optimistic that it will, with time complete disappear with wear ( the jacket hardly gets warn and still looks brand new) and it wont affect the water repellent.

Optimism is not a plan. The care label on your coat should say that any stitching through the exterior of the coat wil require re-sealing. Removing stitching is the same thing.

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score
I carefully took a seam ripper to my black Barbour jacket to get rid of the big flashy yellow and black patch. I hate conspicous labels on anything. You wouldn't notice the very small pin holes in the jacket unless you were looking two inches away. I am optimistic that it will, with time complete disappear with wear ( the jacket hardly gets warn and still looks brand new) and it wont affect the water repellent.
Originally Posted by alliswell
Optimism is not a plan. The care label on your coat should say that any stitching through the exterior of the coat wil require re-sealing. Removing stitching is the same thing.
I did the same with mine and the pin holes have disappeared (probably resealed themselves being so tiny and there being so much wax on a new jacket). You don't need to worry about water-proofing on the International as the label is on a pocket flap. HOWEVER, on the distressed version it is above the pocket.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can you guys post pics of the jacket with the label removed? contemplating doing it

thanks

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I carefully took a seam ripper to my black Barbour jacket to get rid of the big flashy yellow and black patch. I hate conspicous labels on anything. You wouldn't notice the very small pin holes in the jacket unless you were looking two inches away. I am optimistic that it will, with time complete disappear with wear ( the jacket hardly gets warn and still looks brand new) and it wont affect the water repellent.
Originally Posted by alliswell
I did the same with mine and the pin holes have disappeared (probably resealed themselves being so tiny and there being so much wax on a new jacket). You don't need to worry about water-proofing on the International as the label is on a pocket flap. HOWEVER, on the distressed version it is above the pocket.

can you guys post pics of the jacket with the label removed? contemplating doing it

thanks

Even though this is an old post and request, I will love to see some pictures with the label removed: I hope someone will post them.

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score
No camera to hand, I'm sorry. But there's really no need - nothing to see. Four years on I wore mine today and there is absolutely no sign of where the flag was. The tiny holes disappeared very soon after removing the flag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads