• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Barbour Distressed International - Can I Get The Flag Removed?

Chips

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
1,531
Reaction score
11
I carefully took a seam ripper to my black Barbour jacket to get rid of the big flashy yellow and black patch. I hate conspicous labels on anything. You wouldn't notice the very small pin holes in the jacket unless you were looking two inches away.

I am optimistic that it will, with time complete disappear with wear ( the jacket hardly gets warn and still looks brand new) and it wont affect the water repellent.
 

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2010
Messages
1,551
Reaction score
99
Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric
Love this jacket but hate the Union Jack plastered on the breast. Would it be easy to have removed? http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/o...7342/37342.jsp
Can the flag be removed? Sure. Is it gonna look good? No, it'll leave a dark spot where it was. Now, if you don't mind, the Union Jack is part of the "flavor" of the jacket, why do you hate it so much?
 

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
3,992
Reaction score
15
Originally Posted by Chips
I am optimistic that it will, with time complete disappear with wear ( the jacket hardly gets warn and still looks brand new) and it wont affect the water repellent.

Optimism is not a plan. The care label on your coat should say that any stitching through the exterior of the coat wil require re-sealing. Removing stitching is the same thing.
 

Percy Trimmer

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
260
Reaction score
11
Originally Posted by Chips
I carefully took a seam ripper to my black Barbour jacket to get rid of the big flashy yellow and black patch. I hate conspicous labels on anything. You wouldn't notice the very small pin holes in the jacket unless you were looking two inches away. I am optimistic that it will, with time complete disappear with wear ( the jacket hardly gets warn and still looks brand new) and it wont affect the water repellent.
Originally Posted by alliswell
Optimism is not a plan. The care label on your coat should say that any stitching through the exterior of the coat wil require re-sealing. Removing stitching is the same thing.
I did the same with mine and the pin holes have disappeared (probably resealed themselves being so tiny and there being so much wax on a new jacket). You don't need to worry about water-proofing on the International as the label is on a pocket flap. HOWEVER, on the distressed version it is above the pocket.
 

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
8,473
Reaction score
759
can you guys post pics of the jacket with the label removed? contemplating doing it

thanks
 

Mercurio

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2015
Messages
235
Reaction score
502
Originally Posted by Chips
I carefully took a seam ripper to my black Barbour jacket to get rid of the big flashy yellow and black patch. I hate conspicous labels on anything. You wouldn't notice the very small pin holes in the jacket unless you were looking two inches away. I am optimistic that it will, with time complete disappear with wear ( the jacket hardly gets warn and still looks brand new) and it wont affect the water repellent.
Originally Posted by alliswell
Optimism is not a plan. The care label on your coat should say that any stitching through the exterior of the coat wil require re-sealing. Removing stitching is the same thing.
I did the same with mine and the pin holes have disappeared (probably resealed themselves being so tiny and there being so much wax on a new jacket). You don't need to worry about water-proofing on the International as the label is on a pocket flap. HOWEVER, on the distressed version it is above the pocket.


can you guys post pics of the jacket with the label removed? contemplating doing it

thanks
Even though this is an old post and request, I will love to see some pictures with the label removed: I hope someone will post them.
 

Percy Trimmer

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
260
Reaction score
11
No camera to hand, I'm sorry. But there's really no need - nothing to see. Four years on I wore mine today and there is absolutely no sign of where the flag was. The tiny holes disappeared very soon after removing the flag.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,040
Messages
9,190,360
Members
193,053
Latest member
reknafugni

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top