• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour Contemporary Beaufort

glr

Reaction score
Hello all, as many others before me on this forum I am having a difficult time on deciding the size and color of my jacket. I plan on getting the Contemporary fit Beaufort, I have tried on the original and even owned a Gamefair and they were both far too much material for what I was looking for. The 42 is slightly too short in the sleeves for me and the 44 seemed to fit sleeve length fine.

More importantly, I want your opinion on the color. I am between the olive or what is called sandstone. I plan on wearing the jacket for everyday use and most often with khaki/brown slacks and corduroys. Will this be too much khaki/brown if I wear the sandstone jacket? Or, are both of these equally universal? Please advise and thank you for imparting your better taste on those less gifted.

Attached is an image of the sandstone - I know you all are more than familiar with Barbour's olive jacket.

xx143x05.jpg

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My opinion is that if you are wearing it with khaki or brown, go for the olive. Others may feel differently. I have one in Blue that I like very much.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the sandstone color, particularly the brass snaps.

I have the Beaufort in cream (the one on the Orvis site right now) & out of all of my Barbours, it's the one that is very generous in the body as far as fit, almost too generous for my taste.

Do a google search for the jacket & you may be able to find other colors not offered by Orvis or whomever.

Avebury

Reaction score
I used to own a nice traditional waxed 'Norfolk' jacket, some years ago. I loathe some of the new lines - souped up biker jackets. Tweak the classics, don't ditch them! I despair - it's across the board, everywhere you go. Timberlands and jeans have replaced cords and brogues. The impact of globalisation, mass communication, the watering down of culture, etc. The last refuge: - have a look at Sutlers, the re-enactment store. They have some nice looking garments. Quality (?)

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with Porcelain Monkey. Sandstone on khakis look blander than the contrast of olive.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Get olive. I have a brown one, because it was the only colour for the Vintage Beaufort at STP, and I find it limits the kinds of things you can wear it with. It's not like you'll be wearing olive pants that often.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads