• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Barbour Contemporary Beaufort

glr

Reaction score
Hello all, as many others before me on this forum I am having a difficult time on deciding the size and color of my jacket. I plan on getting the Contemporary fit Beaufort, I have tried on the original and even owned a Gamefair and they were both far too much material for what I was looking for. The 42 is slightly too short in the sleeves for me and the 44 seemed to fit sleeve length fine.

More importantly, I want your opinion on the color. I am between the olive or what is called sandstone. I plan on wearing the jacket for everyday use and most often with khaki/brown slacks and corduroys. Will this be too much khaki/brown if I wear the sandstone jacket? Or, are both of these equally universal? Please advise and thank you for imparting your better taste on those less gifted.

Attached is an image of the sandstone - I know you all are more than familiar with Barbour's olive jacket.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My opinion is that if you are wearing it with khaki or brown, go for the olive. Others may feel differently. I have one in Blue that I like very much.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the sandstone color, particularly the brass snaps.

I have the Beaufort in cream (the one on the Orvis site right now) & out of all of my Barbours, it's the one that is very generous in the body as far as fit, almost too generous for my taste.

Do a google search for the jacket & you may be able to find other colors not offered by Orvis or whomever.

Avebury

Reaction score
I used to own a nice traditional waxed 'Norfolk' jacket, some years ago. I loathe some of the new lines - souped up biker jackets. Tweak the classics, don't ditch them! I despair - it's across the board, everywhere you go. Timberlands and jeans have replaced cords and brogues. The impact of globalisation, mass communication, the watering down of culture, etc. The last refuge: - have a look at Sutlers, the re-enactment store. They have some nice looking garments. Quality (?)

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with Porcelain Monkey. Sandstone on khakis look blander than the contrast of olive.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Get olive. I have a brown one, because it was the only colour for the Vintage Beaufort at STP, and I find it limits the kinds of things you can wear it with. It's not like you'll be wearing olive pants that often.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.8%
  • 31 - 40