• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour color/sizing advise

gtenney

Reaction score
I am probably going to get a Barbour Bedale soon and I had a couple questions. I am not too familiar with Waxed cotton jackets and I was not sure how they look over time as they get worn in. So I was wondering what color you guys like best of the Navy, Sage, Rustic Brown, or Black. I am leaning away from the sage but I would like your opinions, especially if you have or have had a waxed cotton jacket.
Navy
bedale_jacket.jpg

Sage
12ER.jpg

Brown
8977BWrust.jpg

Black
8977BWblack.jpg

I think that I am leaning to the black, but I wanted some advise/opinions since I have never seen one in person.

Also any advise on sizing for a Bedale? I am normally about a 42 in most suits. Most of my shirts and jackets are size Lg.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think given all the choice I would go with rustic brown. Black would probably be my last choice honestly.

I have a Beaufort and I went with the sage. I purchased it at Orvis and they had it in sage and navy and between those two I preferred the sage. Had they had the brown I may have gone with that one, but I'm quite happy with my Sage one.

As far as sizing goes, I'm a big guy so probably not the best to ask. I'm a 50 in a suit and I got a 48 in the Barbour and it has plenty of room for the zip in vest liner I got to go with it along with a wool sweater. Some say to size up, but they fit generously.

I will say that I've been thrilled with my purchase of the Beaufort. I really hesitated to buy it but now that I have it I'm very glad I spent the money on it. I wear it every day lately and find it to be a very functional and versatile jacket. I looked at the Bedale and didn't like the shorter length, but I really liked the elastic cuffs on the sleeves of that one as opposed tot he Beaufort's storm cuffs. It's a nice jacket if that length works for you.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
Although brown is for farmer.... rustic brown. Got one, love it and can only say +1 to Wandrin.

moykky

Reaction score
Hmm, oddly my favorite color is not listed! (Olive, or is it just the different name for Brown). That Brown doesn't look "Rustic" to me which is little red-ish. Anyways, it starts to look really good after about year. Vote for Brown.

Bedale is one of the traditional cuts with 10" chest tolerance so you can fit easily a sweater underneath. If you size down the sleeves will most propably be too short.

I love Barbour jackets eventhough they can be really "sweating" sometimes.
smile.gif

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just grabbed a black bedale and love it (esp. since I got it for $80 shipped on Ebay BNWT). I sized down one and it's still roomy enough to layer a bit. I also wanted it a bit snug so I can break it in some while on my bike.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitly dont get the black! Least versatile, and would probably age the worst/least. I suggest getting the Rustic Brown, would look great with denim.

Ive considered Barbour jackets for years, but still havent convinced myself to really take the leap. I imagine I could wear it for alot of years if I get a really classic style, but im still hesitate because of the price and my limited budget.

Whats the word on sub freezing wear with Barbour coats? I know there are some different cotton weights, aswell as different liners, and I´d prefer if it could work to -5 celsius with layering. What styles should I look at?

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
Definitly dont get the black! Least versatile

Since when did a black coat become unversatile? This isn't a black suit we're talking about, it's damn outerwear.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^In my opinion black looks least good of the options with pretty much all colors but black and charcoal.
Its also a rather dull color, and doesnt wear as nice (as for boots, black leather is considered "dead" by alot of coblers, while brown evolve more, which imo would go for a wax jacket aswell).

gtenney

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your help so far. I can see how the brown would age well, which is a big part of the appeal of a waxed cotton jacket. I guess I was thinking of black or brown because to me those two colors seem to be the most versatile. It helps to get the input of others who may have had some experience with jackets like the Bedale since I have never seen one in person. I am going down to Phoenix next week and I will probably swing by the Orvis in Scottsdale to try some on and get a better idea. I don't want to make a big purchase on a jacket that I hope to last me for a long time and then end up regretting the size, color, or style that I got. I was leaning to the Bedale over other models like the Beaufort because I have pretty short legs for my height and I find that longer jackets seem to accentuate that.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have some actual pictures of the blue or brown(rustic)? I'd like to see some actual pictures.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a "classic bedale" in the old school green, maybe sage, it is just the classic barbour green that you get if you buy one from a country shop over here. I have had it for ~ 4 years, worn it pretty hard, and it is pretty beat up now, I think it looks great. I have a friend who regularly wears one that is around 40 years old and it still looks good. The more worn they get and the more wax goes the better they look. They look a little less good after being re-waxed (which you should probably get done professionally otherwise they can end up looking pretty patchy).

I am a 36" chest and bought a 36, I like the fit but it is by no means slim, although it is fairly short on me, (5'9/10"). even with the padded liner in I can fit a thick jumper under too, but I occasionally use mine for shooting and other country pursuits, so I am not looking for a really slim one.

I like sage or brown, I would say go for brown if you are mostly wearing it with jeans in 'town'. Blue doesn't do a lot for me and judging from the ones my mother has lying around her house it doesn't age as well. If you want black you would probably be better off going for an "international" or other design.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES
Anyone have some actual pictures of the blue or brown(rustic)? I'd like to see some actual pictures.

The pictures on the barbour website are pretty accurate. How they age is determined by the type of finish. I prefer sylkoil to the standard wax finish - you get a slight peaching effect as it wears (in the case of rustic a slightly reddish tone), the standard medium & heavyweight wax age with a much flatter finish.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have the sage tokito bicycle ... i think its 6oz skyoil ... awesome jacket and unique color perfect for fall/winter

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads