• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour coats - padded coats

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the original models of the padded Barbour coats for men and women?

Barbour has so many models now, that's it hard to tell which are the original models and which are the newer, more fashionable models.

armscye

Reaction score
The Bedale is the most classic, with the longer Beaufort behind it.

Rabbi Mark

Reaction score
Beaufort is the waxed cotton waterproof model, with shell pockets, handwarmer pockets and a vinyl lined game pocket in the small of the back. (I have it in olive green, size 46.) It is not padded or quilted.

Frankly, the original quilted jacket for stalking and shooting is the Husky, but for the life of me I can't find them anymore. They used to come in green and navy and I had a olive drab waistcoat when I was younger but unfortunately outgrew it. I think my father bought it at Harrod's in the mid-80s. Surprisingly warm.

Barbour makes some very nice jackets from microfiber with various collars -- corduroy, moleskin, leather. My preference in the Barbour line is for the simple microfibre with the corduroy collar and the open patch pockets. It runs about $200 here in NYC; the $300 model is also nice, but doesn't seem really worth it.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the original models of the padded Barbour coats for men and women?

Barbour has so many models now, that's it hard to tell which are the original models and which are the newer, more fashionable models.
No no no no no --

I know the waxed cotton jackets -- I am looking for the padded, quilted model. I don't know the name of the original model. They have so many now. There used to be only one style.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
it's the Eskdale, isn't it??

Rabbi Mark

Reaction score
Eskdale, according to the very helpful sales associate at the Barbour/Peter Elliot shop here in Manhattan, is the "original" -- whatever that means. I repeat from my previous post that the quilted jacket is NOT original to Barbour (just as it isn't to Zegna or Ferragamo or any of the Italian labels that have embraced the English country look over the past several years). Husky is the original quilted; Barbour is the original wax cotton waterproof. here's their menswear in quilted: http://www.barbour.com/product/produ...p?womens=false Eskdale is the basic and first model. They've since added others, notably the Club Quilt, which is a "dressier" version of the Eskdale according to the woman at the shop, and a more recent introduction. Zip pockets, leather collar, and more expensive. If I recall correctly, it also lacks the Eskdale's snap seam at the bottom.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
They must not be terribly fashionable, then, if you can't tell the difference.
biggrin.gif

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Horace,23 Dec. 2004, 7:17
They must not be terribly fashionable, then, if you can't tell the difference. Â
biggrin.gif

Good point Alan. Thanks A Harris, that's the model I was thinking of. Edit: ugh, I noticed that they've added labels (however discreetly placed) on the outside of the pockets of some of the jackets. Vulgar. Just as is the practice of those walking around NYC who leave the metal pin on the cord. collar of their waxed Barbours.

armscye

Reaction score
Sorry, I thought you meant quilted on the INSIDE-- as famously seen on Sam Waterston in Law and Order.

BTW, Husky jackets are equestrian in origin (my former wife bought her first from a tack shop), and you can't do much woodstalking in them without tearing the outer shell to pieces.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding Barbours . . .

There are numerous "padded" or "quilted" jackets offered by Barbour now . . . Lydesdale, Ekks-whatever, etc. I believe the original is a button front with button-gussets as well. I would recommend the zip-up version however, if this coat is to see much actual use.

Of the waxed and oiled jackets, the Bedale is actually a shorter jacket, ideal for horses. The Beaufort is the classic mid-length waxed jacket, ideal for late season North American upland bird hunting. Also, leave the soft-oil finish for the Barbour wearers that never see the field, it just doesn't hold up as well as the waxed versions. The Border model is essentially the Beaufort, but longer . . . a bit of a town coat, and less practical as a shooting coat.

A gem among gems, if you can find it, is the Barbour Gamefair. Similar to the Border in proportions, but with an interior game pocket, and just a better all around shape.

The Barbour wool driven coats are in my opinion a bit of a ripoff, as equal or better jackets can be purchased for less (I'll lump Barbour's disappointing duffel coats in there as well - two of the leather patch toggle-holders on mine have unraveled, and this coat does not see hard use).

I still like Barbour's sweaters though, especially their "performance ones". Also, Barbour's pants and breeks are top-notch in my opinion.

Their gun socks and wellies are poor for the money.

DandySF

Reaction score
During my last two trips to NYC I noticed that the quilted Barbour coats were something of a uniform on the Upper
East Side. I don't quite understand the prevalence of this coat in NY. Maybe there are more anglophiles in that particular neighborhood than elsewhere? I guess the coat appealed to my inner New Yorkophile, since I was inspired to buy one to wear in San Francisco.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
During my last two trips to NYC I noticed that the quilted Barbour coats were something of a uniform on the Upper
East Side.  I don't quite understand the prevalence of this coat in NY.  Maybe there are more anglophiles in that particular neighborhood than elsewhere?  I guess the coat appealed to my inner New Yorkophile, since I was inspired to buy one to wear in San Francisco.
I noticed this too -- I'd like to think that I had the idea to buy one for my wife for years without actually doing so, until now, after Xmas, but she's hard to size (size 0 or 2)

sloaney

Reaction score
i wear a navy one religiously -- almost everyday commuting to work. it is very comfortable and lightweight and keeps me warm. it is not the height of elegance but it is elegant in its own way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads