• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour Bedale or Beaufort

Chief294

Reaction score
Just tried on a jacket (40R) under my beaufort (also 40) and it fitted nicely. I believe the beaufort is designed to be quite a loose fit so that you can wear layers underneath.

Chief294

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matt22616
I've been thinking about getting either the bedale or the beaufort for some time now. I searched around and saw pretty much all of these arguments. Here's the rub: I feel like this is a very country jacket (hence the game pocket). Wearing one over a suit just seems odd to me. If it's raining and you're wearing a suit, wear a trench coat, yes? Now, maybe if you're wearing an odd sport coat/tweed number, I can see it.

Essentially, in two years and change I'll be working for a law firm, where dressing conservatively is important. I shouldn't mix country and city.......right?

I agree. I don't wear mine to work because I think a proper overcoat looks more formal and actually looks better.

Might as well get a barbour for the weekend though, they're great jackets!

lovelux2010

Reaction score
does anyone else around 5'7 or slightly under have the beaufort? do you find it too long?

i have tried on the bedale and the beaufort..
i do like the look and lenght of the bedale but i'm not sure it would cover a tweed jacket (perhaps it woudl as my jackets cut shorter than the average man) but i'm not sure..

also, which will age better - Sykoil or waxed?..
thx!

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovelux2010
thx!

I wonder about this as well. Searching around seemed to indicate that most think the waxed looks worse at the beginning but eventually ages better with wear, whereas the sylkoil looks great out of the gates but doesn't wear as well in the long haul. Some people have said the sylkoil looks better in the long haul as well.

I'm guessing they both look pretty good.

Really, the thread needs pics, esp. fit pics when discussing the relative merits of bedale and beaufort. I have an older original durham that I inherited and love, and want to grab both the bedale and beaufort eventually.

apolishedman

Reaction score
does anyone else around 5'7 or slightly under have the beaufort? do you find it too long?

i have tried on the bedale and the beaufort..
i do like the look and lenght of the bedale but i'm not sure it would cover a tweed jacket (perhaps it woudl as my jackets cut shorter than the average man) but i'm not sure..

thx!

i tried on the beaufort once and thought that it was a good length to cover a blazer. i also remember liking the game pocket (you could hide all kinds of things in there... beers, champagne, etc.)

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
I wonder about this as well. Searching around seemed to indicate that most think the waxed looks worse at the beginning but eventually ages better with wear, whereas the sylkoil looks great out of the gates but doesn't wear as well in the long haul. Some people have said the sylkoil looks better in the long haul as well.

I'm guessing they both look pretty good.

Really, the thread needs pics, esp. fit pics when discussing the relative merits of bedale and beaufort. I have an older original durham that I inherited and love, and want to grab both the bedale and beaufort eventually.

hello..
i'm set on the beaufort now..but still undecided about sykkoil or original wax. the information i recieved in store at Barbour in London - the girl said both will age equally well (which i doubt is accurate)

the blog with the chap who has both has said the sylkoil one has aged better (looks more "worn" but in a good way) while other souces including some in this forum say the original wax will look silly for first while but will age better than sykoil..

i even emailed Barbour myself but no one has been good enough to reply..

i wonder if original wax the way to go...perhaps sylkoil just a marketing ploy, i mean - as far as i understand sylkoil did not exist and is NOT the "original" formula..

anyways all very confusing putting me off buying one all together, especially as different people at Barbour gave me different answers..no one has a clue

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hello..
i'm set on the beaufort now..but still undecided about sykkoil or original wax. the information i recieved in store at Barbour in London - the girl said both will age equally well (which i doubt is accurate)

the blog with the chap who has both has said the sylkoil one has aged better (looks more "worn" but in a good way) while other souces including some in this forum say the original wax will look silly for first while but will age better than sykoil..

i even emailed Barbour myself but no one has been good enough to reply..

i wonder if original wax the way to go...perhaps sylkoil just a marketing ploy, i mean - as far as i understand sylkoil did not exist and is NOT the "original" formula..

anyways all very confusing putting me off buying one all together, especially as different people at Barbour gave me different answers..no one has a clue

The difference isn't in the wax it's in the cotton - the wax is the same.

Sylkoil cotton is uncalendered and hence slightly fluffy, Thornproof (I think that is what you mean by original) uses calendered cotton. Because the Sylkoil cotton hasn't been calendered through rollers, as the wax wears the finish looks 'soft/worn' more quickly, whereas the smoother Thornproof takes longer to show wear. As to which looks better that depends what you want.

The Thornproof is marginally more snag resistant than the Sylkoil, but it's pretty marginal at the same cloth weight, the bigger difference is the thornproof is often available in a heavier cloth weight.

Barbours of the 30's -40's used uncalendered cotton so sylkoil is technically the 'original' finish, in the 70's-80's they were pretty much all made using calendered cotton. Neither is really more 'authentic'.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
The difference isn't in the wax it's in the cotton - the wax is the same.

Sylkoil cotton is uncalendered and hence slightly fluffy, Thornproof (I think that is what you mean by original) uses calendered cotton. Because the Sylkoil cotton hasn't been calendered through rollers, as the wax wears the finish looks 'soft/worn' more quickly, whereas the smoother Thornproof takes longer to show wear. As to which looks better that depends what you want.

The Thornproof is marginally more snag resistant than the Sylkoil, but it's pretty marginal at the same cloth weight, the bigger difference is the thornproof is often available in a heavier cloth weight.

Barbours of the 30's -40's used uncalendered cotton so sylkoil is technically the 'original' finish, in the 70's-80's they were pretty much all made using calendered cotton. Neither is really more 'authentic'.

wow..thank you. sf never fails to amaze with the knowledge of some of its users.
basically - i prefer the colour on the Sylkoil version when new (currently marketed as Classic)as it seems a deeper olive to my eye while the Thornproof version (currently marketed as Original) seems to be a ligh ter green..

but i was curious how each would look after wear. as far as what i want - i would like a jacket that shows wear/character and looks "vintage"/"shabby" if that makes sense, and i do prefer that olive tone rather then the greener tone of Thornpoof...so ..i'm guessing Sykoil the way to go? or will Thornproof go towards that Olive tone with long term wear?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Beaufort.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Beaufort.

thanks RSS goin that way but Sykoil or Thornproof? i just bought my brother the Sykoil version but this ones for me!

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow..thank you. sf never fails to amaze with the knowledge of some of its users.
basically - i prefer the colour on the Sylkoil version when new (currently marketed as Classic)as it seems a deeper olive to my eye while the Thornproof version (currently marketed as Original) seems to be a ligh ter green..

but i was curious how each would look after wear. as far as what i want - i would like a jacket that shows wear/character and looks "vintage"/"shabby" if that makes sense, and i do prefer that olive tone rather then the greener tone of Thornpoof...so ..i'm guessing Sykoil the way to go? or will Thornproof go towards that Olive tone with long term wear?

Base colour won't change that much with wear so I'd go for the classic if you prefer that colour. Both are 6oz if I recall correctly.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks RSS goin that way but Sykoil or Thornproof? i just bought my brother the Sykoil version but this ones for me!
I have the Sykoil ... but it's just a personal preference.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I have the Sykoil ... but it's just a personal preference.

i realize its a personal preference, but trying to find out details or insight into how Sykoil and THornproof differ in the long term. may i ask - how has yours aged? has the colour changed dramatically over its life?..
sorry..i've just found it hard to find this out!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how has yours aged? has the colour changed dramatically over its life?
The color has not changed. Mine is about seven years old. That said I do have it rewaxed every few years. I see that the Barbour website suggests that a coat be reproofed yearly, but I've not found mine to need it. Then again, I don't wear it daily ... perhaps once a week.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads