• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour Bedale Fit

atct86

Reaction score
I just purchased a Barbour Bedale jacket from Orvis. I normally wear a 40R, but the 38 seemed to fit me really well, except maybe a slight big snug in the chest with a zip-in vest. The 40 was just really big in the chest, and didnt really seem to "fit".

Now I think the sleeves might be a little short. Does anyone know if the sleeves can be lengthened?

Also, how long does the jacket take to break in? Right now it is really hard and boxy.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeves can be lengthened, but it ain't cheap. I seem to recall at least $80 to lengthen sleeves when I sent my jacket to New Hampshire.

atct86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
Sleeves can be lengthened, but it ain't cheap. I seem to recall at least $80 to lengthen sleeves when I sent my jacket to New Hampshire.

Who lengthens them, and how do they do it? I dont feel any extra fabric.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by atct86
Who lengthens them, and how do they do it? I dont feel any extra fabric.

http://www.barbour.com/index.cfm?fus...&ContentID=156

They did the alteration up in New Hampshire which is where Barbour has all of their US alterations done. There really isn't any extra fabric and that's why it's expensive. They have to add extra fabric to the sleeves and add extra lining inside the sleeves. If the rest of the jacket works for you, I would consider it money well spent. You'll have this jacket for many years.

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They did the alteration up in New Hampshire which is where Barbour has all of their US alterations done. There really isn't any extra fabric and that's why it's expensive. They have to add extra fabric to the sleeves and add extra lining inside the sleeves. If the rest of the jacket works for you, I would consider it money well spent. You'll have this jacket for many years.

This is wise advice--I advise having the sleeves lengthened by Barbour, too. This coat will serve you well for decades, so the "cost per wear" will be minimal.

atct86

Reaction score
How is the jacket itself supposed to fit? Mine is perfect without a zip in linner, but i got a medium quilted zip in vest and its a little snug.

Does anyone know if the other zip in liner with fake fur is slimmer?

atct86

Reaction score
Can anyone offer any advice to how the sleeve length should be?

atct86

Reaction score

The Barour link doesnt seem to work...

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by atct86
How is the jacket itself supposed to fit? Mine is perfect without a zip in linner, but i got a medium quilted zip in vest and its a little snug.

Does anyone know if the other zip in liner with fake fur is slimmer?

The fake fur liner is a little slimmer, it is also supposedly the warmest of the liners. The downside is it looks like a quarter of a dead golden retriever, I have the padded waistecoat liner for this reason.

The traditional/typical/whatever fit of a barbour jacket tends to be between quite loose and very loose, so you can fit more layers underneath and still move easily - they are designed for country sports after all - riding in the case of the bedale.

However what works for you is what matters, I have a bedale that is on the small side for that typical fit, but I prefer how it looks. If I need to fit more underneath I just wear a different jacket.

chethondo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
The fake fur liner is a little slimmer, it is also supposedly the warmest of the liners. The downside is it looks like a quarter of a dead golden retriever, I have the padded waistecoat liner for this reason.

The traditional/typical/whatever fit of a barbour jacket tends to be between quite loose and very loose, so you can fit more layers underneath and still move easily - they are designed for country sports after all - riding in the case of the bedale.

However what works for you is what matters, I have a bedale that is on the small side for that typical fit, but I prefer how it looks. If I need to fit more underneath I just wear a different jacket.

I got a bedale for Christmas in size 40. I wear anywhere between a 38-40 in most jackets so I figured it would be the right size. When I put it on, it felt huge. I returned it and got the 38 which fits absolutely perfect with a sweater, a suit coat or less under it.

With that said I agree with everything above. The jackets were designed to fit big but I like a slimmer fit. If the liner or another jacket under it are a little tight, I don't think it's a big deal as long as it doesn't bother you. The sleeves are a little short on mine but not enough to send it off and pay for them to be elongated. Great jacket!

mccvi

Reaction score

They can slim it down as well. The alterations out of NH are very well executed and keep the warranty valid (not that that's a huge deal). Not cheap, but worth it.

Rankiz

Reaction score
I'm actually a 36 chest, but I need to use Barbour Bedale in size 38 because 36 is pulling around my waistline. I'm 5,7" and weight 163 lbs and have a waistline of 33".

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Barbour x Tokito is a lot slimmer in body and seems to have longer arms. I just miss the game pocket from my old Beaufort.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads