Barba Napoli or Modern Tailor???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Learn-O-Rama, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Learn-O-Rama

Learn-O-Rama Well-Known Member

So, I've got my sizing down pretty well with MT, and now I wonder, what would get me best value for about $150, a Barba Napoli (which I've never purchased before) or a relatively high-end fabric from MT?

2. Galix

Galix Senior member

Never tried MT, so I can't compare. But I can tell you Barba makes some of the best OTR shirts. I have several and just love them. They are on the slimmer side though, so take this into consideration.

3. Mac

Mac Senior member

4. david123

david123 Senior member

I'm in a similar position and have tried both. The Barba shirt was really nice and the MOP buttons were incredible, although I guess the slimness issue is relative; in my case, I would have needed to have my tailor slim it down a ways. MT does a really nice job too, and I think there is some appeal in being able to specify every feature. You might also look at MyTailor. I'm still waiting for my first from them, but at the higher-end fabric range, I think their prices are possibly even better than ModernTailor and they seem to have more fabrics, or at least more that appeal to me. I returned my Barba shirt, but am thinking of giving it another shot with tailoring. What stores carry Barba? I'll order from Ian eventually, but I feel like a jerk returning stuff to him so it would be ideal to try somewhere first.

5. landshark

landshark Senior member

I have to say, my Modern Tailor shirts fit me better than anything else I own. I'm not familiar with Barba napoli, but if you have a fit dialed in with MT, it would be better to get something in their nicer fabrics, e.g. Thomas Mason.

6. Galix

Galix Senior member

I add that, although I love Barba as I said, the fitting of a MTM shirt (or bespoke for that matter) is much better. I always have to tailor Barba shirts on the sleeves. So at the end the price for a Barba shirt is higher than a good MTM shirt.

That being said, unless you go bespoke or go to a very specialized shirtmaker, the handwork and attention to details is a lot better in a Barba shirt. That's actually what makes their shirts so great.

7. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

+1. It depends on what you value more: fit or construction/materials. The Barba will be finished much nicer, and if you can make it fit as well as your mtm with some minor alterations, then you get best of both worlds. However, you must also like the style of collar, cuffs, fabric, etc.

8. Learn-O-Rama

Does anyone know what the chest, waist, and yoke would be measured on a 15" Barba?

9. Learn-O-Rama

Maybe I should email, Ian, I guess for this info...

10. Galix

Galix Senior member

Actually you can find this information in his website, as he measures every item. In the shirt's page go to the box on the right of the picture and click on "DETAILS". There you'll find all the information you need :)

11. Learn-O-Rama

Got it! Thanks so much for my oversight. I appreciate it.

12. Danielsan

Danielsan New Member

The Barba shirts are awesome, i only wear barba shirts,the key is the shoulder fit, they have kind of unique shoulders, looks like your shoulders have polster in it. the white slim label is just perfect for me, the black is a bit to slim.I wear them with used effect jeans and over the jeans, not inside, the small white gussetts look great, similar to borelli. They also have a "dandy" line, which are retro shirts.

13. HEARTLESS-531

HEARTLESS-531 Senior member

Just bought a Barba 17/43 from Ian while I was in LA. Hubbab hubba. Talk about fit. My 17/43 Borrelli fits a lot looser. The Barba is exceptional.
    Someone mentioned about wonderful shoulder fit - how true. Anyway...while I was there, I tried on several other styles - Finamore, etc. and got my sizes for future orders. But yeah, Barba is just impressive. I have a MTM from someplace in Thailand and it fits me like a second skin - a tad too tight. My two cents.
    If anyone has some feedback on Finamore, please PM me. Thanks and Happy New Year, you little consumers.Shop on!

14. comrade

comrade Senior member

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011