• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baracuta G9, help please

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
Alright gang, it's my turn - I'm 6"0 and probably 165. I measured a Ben Sherman jacket that I love the fit of and pit-to-pit it was just over 22". I'm normally a 38-39 in suit jackets, etc. According to Oi Polloi, the 38 measures 21.5" pit-to-pit and the 40 measures 22.5" pit-to-pit. Is this accurate? I'd rather have a very fitted jacket than a loose jacket in general, but I'm not sure that this type of fit will work with the G9 Slimfit. Is there any stretching/shrinking that I should be at all aware of here? ...just looking for somebody to sway me either way. Thanks.
If you have that Ben Sherman Harrington in medium, then in comparison, the G9S 38 is similar, but the shoulders on it are nearly too narrow for me, and the chest/body is a little bigger. If you have shoulders 18" or over, you probably shouldn't go smaller than a 38.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evpj2L
Thanks, stickonatree and Get Smart. I'm leaning towards the Dark Navy. Does anyone own that one? My only concern is that it wouldn't be ideal to wear with jeans since it would be so close in color to most denim.

For what it's worth, I'm probably planning on getting dark navy. Reds don't work with my skin tone too well.

Ideally I may go for the more vibrant blue, but Oi Polloi doesn't seem to stock it. In terms of the navy with dark denim thing - it really has never bothered me in the past, but nonetheless it is a good point to consider.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't wear my navy jackets with, say, my SFx5EP which are still very dark blue, but I wear them with any jeans that have been washed a few times.

evpj2L

Reaction score
Would it be fairly easy for a tailor to shorten the sleeves and body on a jacket like this? (I wasn't sure if a casual jacket like this is more difficult to alter than a suit jacket).

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how quick is shipping to the states from oipolloi.com? any recent experience to share?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
how quick is shipping to the states from oipolloi.com? any recent experience to share?

Pretty quick.
I've order from them twice and each time my order arrived within a week.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know if the sale is still on or if anything's left, but Baracuta.com(.co.uk?) was clearing out a bunch of good stuff at good prices a week ago or so. There's a high shipping cost of ~$50-60, but it's fixed so if you order a bunch of stuff it's not a bad deal.

borntoolate

Reaction score
if you note the sizing chart on the baracuta site the difference btwn the two cuts is in sleeve length and in the waist (but not pit-to-pit) - http://www.baracuta-g9.com/v2/shop/sizing_chart.php if you're on the fence between two sizes or don't like an aggressively cropped waist (they run short and the elastic is tight) size up. also note that blue in green has these on-line now for $220, unless you get a deep discount overseas you're not going to get a better price with shipping. they may be able to special order if they don't have the color/size you want on hand. the sleeves should be easy enough to shorten, it's a straightforward elastic cuff sleeve with lining.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some random observations on the Baracuta G9:

1. My two recently-purchased G9 Regular Fit jackets in Size 40 say "Made in England" and measure 23.5" to 24.0" pit-to-pit.

2. My recently-purchased G9 Slim Fit jacket in Size 40 says "Made in Romania" and measures 22.5" pit-to-pit.

3. If you check the oipolloi.com website, you'll see "Made in England" in the descriptions of the G4 and G9 Vintage jackets, but no country of origin given for the G9 Slim Fits (or the G10). This leads me to think that the Slim Fit G9s are now made in Romania.

4. The sizing given in the Baracuta sizing guide linked in borntoolate's post is completely wrong. They indicate that a Size 40 has a 40 chest. This is nonsense; my Slim Fit 40 has, as noted, a chest of 45", and my regular fits 47" to 48". However, the measurements given for the G9 Slim Fit in the oipolloi.com website appear to be correct.

5. Baracuta G9s have, in the past, been made by other companies than Baracuta. I have an older one made by van Heusen in the USA, and I believe other companies have been used in the past. My van Heusen G9 is definitely inferior to my Made in England (by Baracuta) G9s. My new Slim Fit made in Romania appears to be of about equal quality to my newer Regular Fits made in England. I guess time will tell whether the Romanian-made ones hold up as well.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roger, while you have the tape out, what are the lengths of the G9 vs. Slimfit G9 from the bottom of the collar & in the sleeve? The sizing guide says they are the same length in the back, but the Slimfit has longer sleeves. I wonder if this is true & also how long is longer.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was able to try on the BaracutaXBenSherman G9 in Small and apparently I need an even smaller size. Do they make an XS?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roger, while you have the tape out, what are the lengths of the G9 vs. Slimfit G9 from the bottom of the collar & in the sleeve? The sizing guide says they are the same length in the back, but the Slimfit has longer sleeves. I wonder if this is true & also how long is longer.
You got it. Size 40 Regular Fit vs. 40 Slim Fit:

Length down the back from collar seam to end of knitted band: Regular: 26.5"; Slim: 27.5";

Sleeve Length measured from the midpoint of the back at the collar seam, along the shoulder (to the extent that's possibly with a raglan sleeve) and down the sleeve to the end of the knitted cuff: Regular: 33.0"; Slim: 34.5".

Of course, these measurements may apply only to a Size 40, but it would be reasonable to expect the Regular-Slim differences to be proportional in other sizes.

Hope this helps.
smile.gif

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That helps a lot since I'm also a 40R. 26.5" seems too short, and 33" is def. too short, so I'll have to get the slimfit for sure.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That helps a lot since I'm also a 40R. 26.5" seems too short, and 33" is def. too short, so I'll have to get the slimfit for sure.
You know, the measurements may be a little deceptive. I don't know your height/weight, but I'm 6' even and 160 lbs. (and a 40R in just about everything), and both the Regular Fit and Slim Fit fit me well. My dress shirts all have been altered to 34.25" sleeves (to show the right amount of cuff under jackets), and yet the Regular G9, with the 33" sleeve works fine, oddly enough. The sleeves don't seem short, and the length seems good too. Maybe the blousy nature of these jackets accounts for this. The look of the two when worn is a little different, however, with the Slim Fit creating (not surprisingly!) a slightly longer and slimmer effect.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread: is there no remedy for folks with longer arms in the Baracuta line? I'm usually a 40 with 35.5" sleeves, but the measurements i've seen for 40 jackets seem to indicate that this would be a bit a short. True?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads