• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baracuta G9 Harrington Fit Advice

ricebomb

Reaction score
Hello, hopefully this is the right forum for this question. Recently purchased a Baracuta G9 Harrington, and was wondering what the fit is suppose be like to anyone who has experience with it? It fits me well everywhere, albeit snugly, except being a bit tight on the shoulders at certain positions, namely with both arms extended or when crossing my arms behind my head. Is the jacket suppose to fit more loosely, and should I size up one? If pictures would help, I can do so later when I get home. Would appreciate the advice!

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pictures will help. Hard to tell from your description whether you should size up or not. It should fit trim but not tight. I don't really think it's helpful to judge fit of a jacket like this by crossing your arms behind your head or other such contortions that aren't relevant to real-life situations.

ricebomb

Reaction score
sorry about that! here are some pictures posted which hopefully help.

20170622_104549.jpg

20170622_104754.jpg

20170622_105025.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mirror selfies are not the best photos to judge fit. But based on what you're showing, it fits fine if you don't plan to layer anything heavier underneath.

thesilentist

Reaction score
If it feels too tight, it's probably too tight. Size up. Get a cozy fit. If you don't believe me, look at photos of Steve McQueen wearing his G9. He's layering under it and it's not skinny on him at all. The modern G9s seem way too skinny IMHO. The classic fit is roomy enough to swing a golf club in.

elmore

Reaction score
Bit of a bump, hope that's ok.

Going to order a G9 in uk 42 size. Am 185cm, 80kilos and pretty slim / athletic. I realise that's vague, but i've heard the sizings on these can be somewhat different. Also this model is 190cm according to the site, and the sleeves look about right on him. Thinking they may be a bit long on me.

BRCPS0001BCNY1_1180_2.jpg

The quintessential Harrington jacket: Baracuta G9. Renowned and appreciated over the years for its versatility and classic timeless style. Worn and loved by some of the most noteworthy men in recent history, it remains a true icon today. Shell made of water-resistant polyester/cotton. Lined with Fraser Tartan made of breathable cotton/polyester Coolmax®. Zipper fastening. Classic 2-button Baracuta collar. Front pockets with button-down flap. "Umbrella" back vent. Ribbed waist, cuffs, and inner collar. Made in England. The model is 190cm tall and wears size 42.

Hewes

Reaction score
42 would be like a Large, 38 is S, 40 is M. That´s my experience with Baracuta g9

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it feels too tight, it's probably too tight. Size up. Get a cozy fit. If you don't believe me, look at photos of Steve McQueen wearing his G9. He's layering under it and it's not skinny on him at all. The modern G9s seem way too skinny IMHO. The classic fit is roomy enough to swing a golf club in.
I think it depends on which G9 one is selecting . The ordinary G9 is still roomy but I would say that the MiE G9 is much more slim cut and is more of a tailored fit , not roomy at all . Maybe size up if it is a MiE. .

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for bumping this up, but recently picked up a Made in Italy lightweight G9 and ended up going with a size 42, 38" chest, 5'6". Don't recall if I tried on a 40, but the 38s looked tiny. Before purchasing this I always thought the number sizes were chest sizes, but I guess that's not true or at least it isn't with my jacket, I don't think.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a Baracuta G9, size 40 in what is now called "Original", which has a slim fit.
Should I keep the same size for the "Archive Fit", which is based on the vintage cut and described as ‘slightly looser’ fit compared to the Harrington Jackets in the current range or would be advisable to downsize?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I own a Baracuta G9, size 40 in what is now called "Original", which has a slim fit.
Should I keep the same size for the "Archive Fit", which is based on the vintage cut and described as ‘slightly looser’ fit compared to the Harrington Jackets in the current range or would be advisable to downsize?
Keep the same size. if you downsize it will be shorter in the arms and waist. Now as it says the "Archive" fit is closer to the original Baracuta G9, roomier.
Personnaly i don't like it too much, but each to his own anall that...
My favorite is the pre-lavori Baracuta G9 "slimfit" version that is a tad slimmer and longer in the body than the now "original" fit.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep the same size. if you downsize it will be shorter in the arms and waist. Now as it says the "Archive" fit is closer to the original Baracuta G9, roomier.
Personnaly i don't like it too much, but each to his own anall that...
My favorite is the pre-lavori Baracuta G9 "slimfit" version that is a tad slimmer and longer in the body than the now "original" fit.
Thank you for your kind advise.

I own a Baracuta G9 from the now "Original" fit, size 40, that has a perfect fit for me in terms of shoulder, waist and arms. On the other hand, the advertising image of the "Archive fit" seems to be precisely too long in the arms, wide and long in the body (if the model is wearing his correct size) hence my idea of downsizing. I like the color and contrast ribs, but I would prefer a slimmer fit.

archive-fit-g9-harrington-jacket-sand-limited-edition-p35934-402089_image.jpg

archive-fit-g9-harrington-jacket-sand-limited-edition-p35934-402097_image.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind advise.

I own a Baracuta G9 from the now "Original" fit, size 40, that has a perfect fit for me in terms of shoulder, waist and arms. On the other hand, the advertising image of the "Archive fit" seems to be precisely too long in the arms, wide and long in the body (if the model is wearing his correct size) hence my idea of downsizing. I like the color and contrast ribs, but I would prefer a slimmer fit.

archive-fit-g9-harrington-jacket-sand-limited-edition-p35934-402089_image.jpg

archive-fit-g9-harrington-jacket-sand-limited-edition-p35934-402097_image.jpg
Yes this picture is puzzling...
Why don't you stay with the "original fit"? This color and contrast only exist in "Archive fit"?
You can also send it back if it doesnt fit (as i suppose you cant try it), their online shop is good.
In my case i had to size up in the original fit, so i suppose the archive fit would be TTS. But i am very tall.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads