Bar-Mitzvah dress code?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Chrenetique, Dec 16, 2011.

1. trigirdbers

trigirdbers Well-Known Member

I don't know what groups of Conservative and Reform Jews you hang around with but a suit is definately de rigueur for bar/bat mitzvahs among all those that I have interacted with I'm atlas. I guess, as always, the bottom line is that no one is going to fault you for wearing a suit even if maybe you could get away with something else. Maybe I'd be more inclined to agree if outside of a major metropolitan area.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

2. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Sounds like they're really serious about it.

Isn't their a bunch of people in the States who live in the 18th century, refuse to use electricity, etc.

3. King Solomon

King Solomon Well-Known Member

Has any one brought up the issue of mold? Make sure you avoid any articles with green or red mold. Definitely a jewish faux pas.

Quote: Leviticus 13

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Then Leviticus 13 goes on to say about items spoiled with green or red mold:

I have to admit there's some fascinating things in the Old Testament. Would any Jews actually burn their clothes because of the colour of the mold?

5. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Well, I live in San Francisco now, so all bets are off. However, my sister recently switched from the conservative shul we grew up with in Connecticut to a reform temple, and she bitches about how casually everyone dresses, even for high holiday services.

6. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

I'd say go traditional, but then again I'm not an expert.

[​IMG]

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Yeah, the Amish. No jewish law against electricity outside of actively using it on shabbos. Meaning, if you are orthodox you can't turn lights on and off on shabbos for example, but they can be left on from before shabbos.

8. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

Certainly interesting gear here:

[​IMG]

9. Benjamin E.

Benjamin E. Well-Known Member

Check with the family for what to wear, but a conservative suit is a safe bet.

I'm pretty sure this verse concerns tzaraat, a spiritual affliction that manifests itself in various skin discolorations. The disease would effect clothing and buildings first, then skin.

Among the many Hasidic groups there are many variations in dress. On the Sabbath and holidays, all wear a shtreimel, the hat pictured above. Some wear a slightly different one that's taller and black, called a spodek. While most Hasidim wear a bekishe (a long black silk coat), the robes the guys in the picture are wearing are blue and gold striped and indicate that they live in Jerusalem.

10. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Senior member

This is incorrect; That is referring to leprosy

Again, it is referring to leprosy not mold.

I wonder when Spoo is converting :lol:

11. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Taken somewhat out of context, but that aside -

Your question seems to suggest that you believe it's okay to wear moldy clothing to non-Jewish religious ceremonies. Whereas I would think this to be something of a faux pas across most religious lines.

("Chuck, I'd be honored to serve as your best man. And since you're getting married at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen, and not at Temple Beth Shalom, I think I'll wear my charcoal suit with the visible green mold.")
    --
    Michael

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I attended one once

Didnt put the hat on and during the ceremony some woman behind me (say this out loud in a NY accent) said "what, no yamaka?"

So, 12 years old and embarrassed I went to this box where you borrow one and put it on. I lacked experience because after about 10 minutes it fell off the back of my head and dropped into the aisle behind me. Some dude picked it up and handed it to me. I kept it next to me.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

its not really leprosy that the verse is referring to either. its a spiritual affliction that manifests itself physically. since it sounds similar in description to leprosy it is often referred to as such. however, that too is really a misnomer.

:laugh:

too bad you had to be embarrassed like that. someone should have quietly and politely helped you out. i hate when things like that happen.

14. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    +1. such behavior is not condoned.

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Eh, makes for a decent story today.

She said that shit loooouuuud too, it came from a few rows back. I'm sure people in a 10 row radius heard it.