Dismiss Notice


Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bar laces for shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Colin Stiefel, Jan 21, 2003.

  1. Colin Stiefel

    Colin Stiefel New Member

    Likes Received:
    Jan 21, 2003
    I often have trouble getting the best looking lace on a new pair of shoes. Â Some lacing is more casual and some for fancy dress, but the lacing I like most...reminds me of a song. [​IMG] Please, respond with your own notions and helpful guides, like eyelet instuctions.

  2. bengal-stripe

    bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

    Likes Received:
    Mar 23, 2002
    London, UK
    I don't quite understand your question. If you taking about the way shoes are laced up, I only know two ways: the American ladder way and the European straight across. Both should be self-explanatory, although there are two ways to achieve the European style: the Continental way takes one end right across to the top, while the other end winds its way up, hole by hole. The English way takes them to alternative holes. In both "schools" you have the straight crossing on top and the rising lace underneath.

    Are you are taking about the way the laces are woven and how different laces can alter the look? Old shoes sport flat, wide laces; almost Taglietelle shaped (even silk ribbon for evening), while all modern laces are round and thin like Spaghetti. I don't know if anybody produces those flat laces anymore. These were the laces a gentleman's butler used to iron, maybe they went out with the butlers.

Share This Page

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by