1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Baptism attire

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fabienne, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

What would be the appropriate attire for the Godfather (and also the Godmother if you have ideas - should they "match"?) at a spring baptism, one in the US and on in Western Europe?

What about those attending?

2. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Swaddling clothes in off white are traditional for the baptism recipient. They can be accompanied by slippers with either closed or open heels.

3. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Actually, thanks for reminding me of the "recipient"... What about an older recipient, not a baby, a toddler?

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

For the men, a dark suit is fine, though if it's in the spring light gray would be spiffier. No light blue or tan or brown. I'd stick with a white shirt and a woven silk tie: PoW plaid, sheppard's check, Macclesfield. Black and white or sliver is best. Black shoes.

I can't help you with the women. I don't know anything about women's clothes.

5. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

A black suit would be fine, then? So the Godfather doesn't typically wear something different from the other attendees, correct?

Thank you, this helps a lot.

Any advice about the toddler-recipient? A suit? (for the US baptism)

6. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

First off - it depends on the formality of the church where the baptism is taking place...

However, men generally can't go wrong with a spring suit. Light gray or (sorry Manton) tan would be appropriate. I'm assuming by Spring you mean after Easter.

For the ladies, a spring-type dress would be a nice choice. Perhaps a light cardigan over top if the dress is sleeveless or the church is air-conditioned.

As for the attire of the toddler, you don't have to go the all-white route unless you're Mormon or a Hispanic Catholic. You didn't say the recipient is male or female, but just pick one of those cute, dressy toddler outfits - pants, shirt & tie and vest for a boy or a dress for a girl - and you should be all set.

Bradford

P.S. (Edited to respond to the last response.) Unless this is an extremely formal church, most of the other attendees probably won't actually wear a suit, so the Godfather will likely stand out just by wearing one in the first place.

As to the toddler - most (and by that I mean mine and those of most of my friends) don't like wearing a suit and you will be hard pressed to get them to keep the jacket on and/or the shirt tucked in. The vest outfits are cute and quite appropriate for that age.

7. Manton

You're not trying to get me in trouble, are you?  In case you missed it, I am on record at torturous length ranting against black suits.  No black suits.  Dark blue or any shade of gray.  I would stay away from stripes and plaids, but they might look OK if subtle enough.

I don't think there is a "typically" in this case.  Christenings or baptisms used to be only slightly less formal than weddings.  Whereas the groom, groomsmen, and father of the bride would wear morning coats to weddings, papa, grandfathers and godfather would wear strollers to christenings.  But mores have ... evolved.  Contrary to my reputation, I am actually aware of this.  The stroller is for all intents and purposes dead.  Therefore, I recommend trying to approximate its look as closely as possible.  If we were to be real sticklers about it, we would rule out the color blue, no matter how dark.

As for wearing the same or different things: formal day wear didn't used to be so uniform back when people owned their own stuff.  Men were just presumed to have the right jacket, shirt, tie, etc., and to know what was appropriate and show up correctly dressed.  So everyone would look largely the same, but a little different.  Sort of like black tie today: everyone's in a DJ (theoretically) but different cuts, models, shirts, etc.  Matching kit appears to be an invention of the rental industry.

By the way, I don't know where you live or how your friends dress, but chances are, if the godfather shows up in a nice gray suit, white spread collar shirt, and Macclesfield tie, he WILL be wearing something different from the other attendees.

Oh dear.  No, I don't know.  I hate to advise you to to buy something that will be worn once and fit for less than a couple of months.

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

(Fabienne @ Mar. 14 2005,11:20) A black suit would be fine, then?
    You're not trying to get me in trouble, are you? In case you missed it, I am on record at torturous length ranting against black suits. No black suits. Dark blue or any shade of gray. I would stay away from stripes and plaids, but they might look OK if subtle enough.
    I don't think there is a "typically" in this case. Christenings or baptisms used to be only slightly less formal than weddings. Whereas the groom, groomsmen, and father of the bride would wear morning coats to weddings, papa, grandfathers and godfather would wear strollers to christenings. But mores have ... evolved. Contrary to my reputation, I am actually aware of this. The stroller is for all intents and purposes dead. Therefore, I recommend trying to approximate its look as closely as possible. If we were to be real sticklers about it, we would rule out the color blue, no matter how dark. As for wearing the same or different things: formal day wear didn't used to be so uniform back when people owned their own stuff. Men were just presumed to have the right jacket, shirt, tie, etc., and to know what was appropriate and show up correctly dressed. So everyone would look largely the same, but a little different. Sort of like black tie today: everyone's in a DJ (theoretically) but different cuts, models, shirts, etc. Matching kit appears to be an invention of the rental industry. By the way, I don't know where you live or how your friends dress, but chances are, if the godfather shows up in a nice gray suit, white spread collar shirt, and Macclesfield tie, he WILL be wearing something different from the other attendees.
    Oh dear. No, I don't know. I hate to advise you to to buy something that will be worn once and fit for less than a couple of months.
    For the Godfather... http://images1.moviemarket.co.uk/lib...254/254454.jpg

9. Manton

10. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Actually, I believe this scene takes place during his daughter's wedding (at the beginning of the movie).
    "Why would you come here and insult me, on the day of my daughter's wedding?" Â [​IMG]

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Maybe you should have told him. Who knows, you might have woken up to find all your bespoke suits and shirts cut in half, in your bed, one fine morning.

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I was actually picturing the double breasted 3 piece charcoal gray pin stripe number michael wore to be godfather to Connie's kids.....

13. Manton

Of course, if multiple assasinations are part of the ceremony, the rules are different.

Fabienne, is there something you want to tell us?

14. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Thank you for all the tips. See, in France, or at least in my family, baptisms are a big deal. You do dress up, there is a banquet, people come from all over, and the ceremony itself lasts a while (I noticed that, here, it is expedited in less than 5 minutes' time).

I like the vest idea, although my mother would be elated if I asked her to go shopping for a suit for him in Paris.

Does anyone know about the customs in French-speaking Switzerland and Kosovo?

15. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

(Fabienne @ Mar. 14 2005,11:20) A black suit would be fine, then?
    You're not trying to get me in trouble, are you? Â In case you missed it, I am on record at torturous length ranting against black suits. Â No black suits. Â Dark blue or any shade of gray. Â I would stay away from stripes and plaids, but they might look OK if subtle enough.
    I don't think there is a "typically" in this case. Â Christenings or baptisms used to be only slightly less formal than weddings. Â Whereas the groom, groomsmen, and father of the bride would wear morning coats to weddings, papa, grandfathers and godfather would wear strollers to christenings. Â But mores have ... evolved. Â Contrary to my reputation, I am actually aware of this. Â The stroller is for all intents and purposes dead. Â Therefore, I recommend trying to approximate its look as closely as possible. Â If we were to be real sticklers about it, we would rule out the color blue, no matter how dark. As for wearing the same or different things: formal day wear didn't used to be so uniform back when people owned their own stuff. Â Men were just presumed to have the right jacket, shirt, tie, etc., and to know what was appropriate and show up correctly dressed. Â So everyone would look largely the same, but a little different. Â Sort of like black tie today: everyone's in a DJ (theoretically) but different cuts, models, shirts, etc. Â Matching kit appears to be an invention of the rental industry. By the way, I don't know where you live or how your friends dress, but chances are, if the godfather shows up in a nice gray suit, white spread collar shirt, and Macclesfield tie, he WILL be wearing something different from the other attendees.
    Oh dear. Â No, I don't know. Â I hate to advise you to to buy something that will be worn once and fit for less than a couple of months.
    We need an emoticon with a halo... No, I certainly wasn't trying to get you in trouble. Now I know that "a dark suit" does not mean "a black suit". I have a feeling the baptism in Europe will be quite a bit more formal than the one in the US.

16. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

Based on the baptism's I have been too lately I am sure you are correct. ( I have been to 5 in the past 5 months, including my daughter's). I think at my daughter's I was the only one wearing a tie. All the other men were either wearing suits without ties or sportcoats and slacks without ties. My daughter's godfather stood out, but only because he was dressed like Johnny Cash. (Black suit, black buttondown shirt, black shoes) Obviously we didn't pick him based on his fashion sense [​IMG] . The funny thing is to my wife's family the Baptism is a huge thing (they are Roman Catholic and much of my wife's family are 1st generation American). We had the requisite party at a restaurant afterwards for just the closest friends and family, which means we had 65 instead of 265 [​IMG] (she's italian, everyone is family). So we kind of had a european party with american dress code. I think if the godfather wears a nice suit, shirt and tie he will automatically stand out in america only because he will be one of the few dressed properly.

17. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

A light/medium grey pindot would be lovely in the spring.

What is your feeling about chalk stripes on such a suit for this occasion? I tend to associated those with business wear, but I suppose that there is a rule that dicatates when they are OK for more social occasions-- i.e., evenings or weekends?

18. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

It sounds a lot like what happens in my family, except that it is typically done in somebody's decorated basement with everybody helping with food preparations, and the typical "Pièce montÃ[​IMG]e" (choux pastry puffs built in the shape of a 3 feet high cone, with nougatine and caramel glueing the entire thing, decorated with Jordan almond type candy, some dipped in silver), but with considerably fewer attendees than in Italian families... My, over 200 guests. I have pictures of my baptism, and my Godfather was wearing a close-fitting black suit, and my Godmother a lace white veil over her hair.

19. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

Tell me about it. We invited 275 or so people to our wedding and we limited it to that by not inviting children under 18. All of my family is from out of town though so the list got pared down to about 160 when all was said and done. It wsa a mixed blessing, it was unfortuante most of my family could not attend, however since we were paying for the wedding ourselves at least it kept the cost down.

20. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

fabienne,
    i'm going to be a godfather next month. if it's a cool day, i'm planning on wearing a brown three-piece suit, white shirt with black pinstripes, and a black tie. if it's warmer, i'll wear a medium grey suit, solid white shirt, and i haven't decided on a tie yet, but possibly solid black or blue.

i don't know what the godmother is planning to wear, but believe me, you wouldn't want her advice...