• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

banning perfume/cologne

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm so tired of all these people that put way too much of the stuff on. Wherever I go, I cannot escape the oppressive smell of people that have no sense of the appropriate amount to wear.
Having said that, i love women that choose nice fragrances and understand how to properly apply them, so I'm conflicted over banning the stuff outright. What say you?
confused.gif

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ban outrageous usage of perfume.

yeah and i never understood this either. can't they smell themselves?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of all the many cranky movements of our time, I don't think there is any that I loathe more than the anti-fragrance movement. I would infinitely rather smell cheap perfume applied in excessively profuse quantities than the vile stench of human body odor!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of bodily odors, I was recently at a party in San Francisco and many of the people were not wearing deodorant. It was quite vile, especially heightened by the fact that these people were not young destitute types.

Dane

Reaction score
Over-applying fragrance does't bother me nearly as much as having to smell people eating ****** junkfood in confined spaces.

If someone doused it on though...I just tell them. Most people don't realize, so if you ask them what they're wearing, and then say "wow, it's really strong huh?", they get the point.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What pisses me off the most is someone wearing a shitload in a restaurant or at a wine tasting. Total absence of consideration and taste.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
What pisses me off the most is someone wearing a shitload in a restaurant or at a wine tasting. Total absence of consideration and taste.

+1 Or an office. I'm allergic to some of that **** and it gives me a migraine.

Ladies- ever consider SOAP AND WATER?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I'm so tired of all these people that put way too much of the stuff on. Wherever I go, I cannot escape the oppressive smell of people that have no sense of the appropriate amount to wear.
Having said that, i love women that choose nice fragrances and understand how to properly apply them, so I'm conflicted over banning the stuff outright. What say you?
confused.gif

I agree about it being annoying, but I would never be for an actual legal ban on anything like this, that's far too much.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
oh, this again. Yeah. I hear you - there are a few folks out there who think that more = better. And there are those who insist of refreshing every two hours, because they can no longer smell themselves. I don't hate those people but I do take the opportunity to tell him/her that they should lay off already.

More effective if you mention (Enough Already) as a group. Totally squashes the denial mechanisms.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
I'm allergic to some of that **** and it gives me a migraine.

I've always wondered how it doesn't give the wearer a migraine. If it's bad enough to give someone in the room a migraine, I can't imagine how dead someone's sense of smell must be to be able to withstand wearing such a quantity.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Of all the many cranky movements of our time, I don't think there is any that I loathe more than the anti-fragrance movement. I would infinitely rather smell cheap perfume applied in excessively profuse quantities than the vile stench of human body odor!

No body odor (unless someone hasn't washed in weeks) is as strong as some of the stuff these people wear.

Originally Posted by yachtie
+1 Or an office. I'm allergic to some of that **** and it gives me a migraine.

Ladies- ever consider SOAP AND WATER?

This is what annoys the hell out of me. A woman was recently moved in to the office next to mine, and I can smell her perfume just by having my door open. So now I keep my door shut all the time, but whenever someone enters, the smell saturates my office, it gets in my mouth, and it gives me headaches a couple times a week. I sent an email to my boss asking him to deal with it or I will. The woman in question is really sensitive and over-emotional, so I'd rather not bother with it myself if I can help it, but I doubt my boss will do anything so I'll probably have to. I'm trying to think of the least confrontational way to tell her that she stinks so bad that I get headaches and can't taste my food.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The worst male culprits are high school boys. A few ounces of AXE/Aqua Di Gio are terrible. I am a high school wrestling coach and at a tournament a week ago I had some bad 'smell-moments' where sweat combined with some terrible cologne.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
No public humiliation option? These people should be ganged up on and publicly humiliated just to drive home the point that they are, in fact, publicly humiliating themselves and doing so at others' expense.

Time for bukkake?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads