• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banks...

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to bank with Washington Mutual. Great bank, great service, free checking, until Chase came along. Now they want to charge fees for everything and I want out!

I want a free checking account with no mimimum balance requirement, BillPay and good customer service. What bank(s) would you recommend? I have a mortgage with Wells Fargo and can qualify for their Portfolio Management Account (PMA), their premier account that comes with lots of free services (eg., 100 free brokerage trades a year, mobile banking, no-fee non-Wells ATM withdrawals, etc). They bought out Wachovia and have a solid presence in Atlanta, where I live, but am wary of large banks. They tend to change their rules every time. My theory is that it is better to be an investor than a customer at large banks. I have also looked at Schwab.

Any advice from personal experiences?

Thanks.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't mind Wells Fargo, which I have used for years. Their checking accounts can be expensive if you don't keep a minimum amount in savings. As with any other big bank, expect to get nickled and dimed. But they don't **** you as much as Chase or BoA do.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
I don't mind Wells Fargo, which I have used for years. Their checking accounts can be expensive if you don't keep a minimum amount in savings. As with any other big bank, expect to get nickled and dimed. But they don't **** you as much as Chase or BoA do.

Oh yes, I've heard about BoA!!!

With my mortgages (I have 2 with Wells), I qualify for a no-fee PMA account and a no-fee savings account. An advantage is that I would be able to access all accounts on one website.

How is their customer service? Apparently, Wachovia was known for excellent customer service and Wells says they want to keep theirs at that level.

fiasco

Reaction score
BoA has accounts where you can avoid service charges by either: Using the paperless statement feature and only using the atm for deposits and withdrawls or setting up direct deposit. No minimums required when you do either of those options.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My cousin has Schwab and there are no fees for him since he has direct deposit. Full reinbursements on atm fees.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
I used to bank with Washington Mutual. Great bank, great service, free checking, until Chase came along. Now they want to charge fees for everything and I want out! I want a free checking account with no mimimum balance requirement, BillPay and good customer service. What bank(s) would you recommend? I have a mortgage with Wells Fargo and can qualify for their Portfolio Management Account (PMA), their premier account that comes with lots of free services (eg., 100 free brokerage trades a year, mobile banking, no-fee non-Wells ATM withdrawals, etc). They bought out Wachovia and have a solid presence in Atlanta, where I live, but am wary of large banks. They tend to change their rules every time. My theory is that it is better to be an investor than a customer at large banks. I have also looked at Schwab. Any advice from personal experiences? Thanks.
I was in the same situation with WAMU changing over the Chase. They told me that if I wanted to retain my account and not pay the monthly maintenance fee ($10, WTF!) that I would need to make a monthly direct deposit >=$500. Not sure if that applies to you, but maybe something to consider. I wouldn't be as wary of Wells as you seem to be. They are a phenomenal bank that works very well and is very good at customer retention and getting their customers to use more and more of their products. And I say that as a man who works at an institution that competes with them everyday. If you can get all they they are offering for free (since you have your mortgage with them) I say take it. Also, in general if you have more than $500k in total investable assets most banks will roll our the red carpet for you if you bring your whole relationship to them. You get higher rates on deposit accounts, special mortgage rates, special services, etc.

mikeman

Reaction score
Honestly, go with a credit union. They usually offer everything you want, without all the bullshit.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeman
Honestly, go with a credit union. They usually offer everything you want, without all the bullshit.
Except, that they generally have very small ATM and Branch networks which can lead to a lot of fees over the long term if you're not careful or there isn't a branch nearby.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am very happy with my local credit union. As Biggskip pointed out, you do have to be careful about ATM charges and teller access, but if those aren't huge issues for you credit unions beat banks by every other measurement.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I am very happy with my local credit union. As Biggskip pointed out, you do have to be careful about ATM charges and teller access, but if those aren't huge issues for you credit unions beat banks by every other measurement.

This. NASA FCU has been good to me since before I knew what money was.

ATMs aren't a problem; I'll duck into a grocery store and use my check card to buy a pack of gum for $.69 to withdraw $60 here and there rather than spend $2.50 on some BigNationalBank ATM fee.... or consult this if I'm going somewhere with which I'm unfamiliar. Hell, there's one just a block from my house.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with a local small bank or a credit union, just watch your ATM withdrawal fees...why the hell would you use an ATM anyways? Just carry some spare cash, that's all. I closed my Chase checking account because of their BS maintenance fee.

XeF4

Reaction score
Yeah I was at WaMu too, and I also echo the OPs sentiment, **** Chase. I moved all of my **** to ING.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XeF4
Yeah I was at WaMu too, and I also echo the OPs sentiment, **** Chase. I moved all of my **** to ING.

I was thinking of having my checking account with Wells or SunTrust and (orange) savings account at ING. Great interest rates (1.1%). I could transfer from checking to ING savings account every month and build up decent savings.

How do you like ING?

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
My cousin has Schwab and there are no fees for him since he has direct deposit. Full reinbursements on atm fees.

this. for the motherfucking win. you may have to mail in your checks, but if damn, you can withdraw monies from anywhere for free, and no need for a minimum balance in your account.

tldr: SCHWAB

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yep.

And the issue of ATMs is non-existent b/c mine refunds all charges automatically. So I have the largest collection of ATMs of any bank and can use them all for free.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads