• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banking and shoes

foto010101

Reaction score
Hello,

Can somebody please tell me if black is the only choice for banker's shoes? Is a dark brown colour also appropriate?

Mike

state_pacific

Reaction score
It may depend on where you are working (there was a post a while back about the "rules" for attire if you're a banker in London), but at least here in NYC I see plenty of bankers (especially the younger ones) sporting the navy suit/dark brown shoes or gray suit/light brown combinations.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the most formal attire found in NYC anyway? White shoe lawyers'? I got the impression they had to dress more formally than bankers.

mwrenchd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
What's the most formal attire found in NYC anyway? White shoe lawyers'? I got the impression they had to dress more formally than bankers.

Most of the top NYC law firms are conservative business casual except for client meetings. At least for more junior associates. Been that way for a while.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the US, bankers can get away with wearing brown shoes. In the UK, don't try it. I also think in the positions which spend more time meeting clients, bankers are more likely to sport black, which is probably smart.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm actually not sure what the dress really is in firms these days. I've visited friends in New York a few times, and I never saw the junior associates dressed very formally. What is conservative business casual, precisely?

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
What is conservative business casual, precisely?
Wool slacks are prefered over khakis. Usually no tie, but at a minimum a button-front shirt, which in New York may even have French cuffs (the horror!). Usually no cotton polos except maybe during the summer or on weekends with jeans. Sport coat optional; more common during Fall/Winter. Sweaters are fine any time since you are no longer interviewing.
devil.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
<double post>

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
In the US, bankers can get away with wearing brown shoes.
It really depends on seniority/rank. Based on my experience in the last 5 years, I would not recommend junior bankers (analysts and associates) to wear brown shoes at client meetings, especially if you don't know very well the senior bankers attending the meeting. Many old-school wall street bankers frown upon brown shoes and do not consider them appropriate for client meetings. There is actually an MD in my group who has made it clear to me that i should feel free to wear what I want when I want but only black shoes when we meet with his clients
plain.gif

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the most formal attire found in NYC anyway? White shoe lawyers'?
Wikipedia's white shoe firm page and its references are surprisingly muddled on the etymology of the phrase. I think what they're trying to say is that the partners at a white shoe firm come from the sort of background where one would wear white bucks. (Which apparently at one time meant New England WASP, rather than Southern Dandy.
smile.gif
)

raley

Reaction score
GDL, what are you seeing analysts wearing? I have a job lined up for this summer, and went to a happy hour with them last Friday - one was wearing a suit, one was wearing jeans and nikes!

On the other hand, the head guy in the office was wearing a really nice suit with a cashmere tie and very nice English-looking suede chisel-toe bals. He also was talking about how he is a bit of a clotheshorse (my words, not his) and was sort of getting on some of the guys that were wearing jeans.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Many old-school wall street bankers frown upon brown shoes and do not consider them appropriate for client meetings.
True, but it makes you wonder why senior bankers are so provincial in their thinking...black is so boring. Glad I went the consulting route after Wall Street.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consultants appear a lot more casual while still looking smart. I went to a speech by the Chairman of Toyota, and the next guy was a Bain partner who went up in a turtleneck and slacks. (The Japanese exec wasn't wearing anything interesting, and definitely not the shoes.)

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consultants appear a lot more casual while still looking smart. I went to a speech by the Chairman of Toyota, and the next guy was a Bain partner who went up in a turtleneck and slacks. (The Japanese exec wasn't wearing anything interesting, and definitely not the shoes.)
I think that is more cultural than anything else, although I agree with your general (obvious) point that consultants are freer to dress in more interesting ways.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe. This was an American who had lived around the world and then settled in Singapore, and he was facing an audience of Asian-Americans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads