• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banker shirt too cliche when workin @ IB?

Egert

Reaction score
Is wearing a blue shirt with with collar and white french cuffs too cliche, when you are a twenty something and working in investment banking? I have heard so many opposing views about this, so what does SF think? I know every banker surely has one of them in his closet, brings it out when no-one is around, tries is on in front of the mirror along with braces and dark red tie, smiles for a few minutes and then puts it back to the closet. When talking to others, he considers them a disgraceful cliche...
sarcasm.gif

Merlino

Reaction score
This banker doesn't own one, but not because of the GG clichÃ
00a9.png
but because I think they're ugly.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't do it, you'll look like a DB or worse - a stock trader.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they're too much of a cliche in general. That said I think it depends on the culture of your firm and team - if you're all relatively young and easy going, then go for it - they'll all be in on the joke. If it's an older and / or more conservative environment then leave it well alone - they'll think your joking with them and you'll pay for it.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're not that offensive;
I see lots of striped &/or pink ones too,
on a daily basis.
If it's quite an icy blue,
I really quite like the look, actually.

arirang

Reaction score
Those types of shirts are nearly impossible to find in Canada, and you stick out like a sore thumb wearing them here. I have one that I trot out maybe once a year, and the Gekko jokes are sure to follow everytime.

However, they are very, very common in US mens stores and department stores. I get the sense they're more acceptable there. Do people other than GG wannabes wear them regularly in the US?

mjphillips

Reaction score
I worked in a big NY IB for several years and you really didn't see them that often. Probably the wrong way to call attention to oneself. And as Whnay indicated, when one did see them it was on meathead traders who don't wear ties with them because they can't button their collars. Only the real old timers wore suspenders.

lenahan

Reaction score
if you feel uncomfortable with it, then don't wear it. I wear them often-actually, I am wearing a light blue shirt with contrast collar and self cuffs as I type this. Really, it is up to you. The biggest mistake with them is to wear a tie which is too weak, and emphasizes the color. Make sure what ever tie you wear is either light enough or dark enough, and decorated enough to not be ignored.

Egert

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjphillips
when one did see them it was on meathead traders who don't wear ties with them because they can't button their collars.
I don't get the joke?
eh.gif

And why are you so harsh on the traders? Or is it because of their "kings of the universe" and "big swingin' dicks" attitude?
laugh.gif

mjphillips

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Egert
I don't get the joke?
eh.gif

And why are you so harsh on the traders? Or is it because of their "kings of the universe" and "big swingin' dicks" attitude?
laugh.gif

Not trying to be harsh - a bit tongue-in-cheek. A lot of traders' (alternatively - Americans) necks have horizontally outgrown their collars' buttoning point.

Requiem

Reaction score
Wear that shirt not more than once a month. Avoid pairing it with red tie.

godofcoffee

Reaction score
I don't think it's possible to wear french cuffs without looking like an idiot before you're a VP, at least.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by godofcoffee
I don't think it's possible to wear french cuffs without looking like an idiot before you're a VP, at least.

facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads