• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bank Dress Code

CJH7111

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a teenager in High School and am doing an internship at a local bank. I'm going in to shadow someone the tomorrow but I wasn't told the dress code. It's a small local American bank in a mid to upper class town. What do you all think I should wear? Thanks in advance.

Kslim

Reaction score
Some nice slacks/dress shirt/tie. Better to be overdressed than under..

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
I think if you go in wearing a tie, they'll be impressed that you can wear a tie. If you havent' been told the dress code and you own a suit, go in wearing the suit to be impressive.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classic first interview.

Navy solid 2-button SBNL; white barrel cuff point collar; BB#1, maroon sold, or navy pin dot; black captoe, leather sole, very shiny. Belt to match. NO ps, links, or current fashion trends. Cell phone left in the car. Bring and present your resume package. Take some notes, ask good questions, stay awake. Always "ma'am" and "sir" and "yes." Don't fidget, belch, or scratch.

Show them you are not just another twerp. Deviate at you own risk.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Classic first interview.

Navy solid 2-button SBNL; white barrel cuff point collar; BB#1, maroon sold, or navy pin dot; black captoe, leather sole, very shiny. Belt to match. NO ps, links, or current fashion trends. Cell phone left in the car. Bring and present your resume package. Take some notes, ask good questions, stay awake. Always "ma'am" and "sir" and "yes." Don't fidget, belch, or scratch.

All this is the "ideal", but just try to get close you will be fine. Navy suit, white dress shirt, conservative tie, shine your shoes.

You are in high school, I doubt they expect an impressive resume. As mentioned, how you carry yourself will make the biggest impression.

dk_ace

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Classic first interview.

I've worked in the banking industry for 6 years now. You could not possibly get better advice than this^.

Even if you knew exactly what they wear, I would advise dressing a step ahead of whatever the norm is.

D

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kslim
Some nice slacks/dress shirt/tie. Better to be overdressed than under..

This is fine. If you have a suit & provided you are quite comfortable in it, wear it - otherwise a well ironed shirt, trousers and tie are great with a formal pair of shoes.

Just make sure you enjoy your internship and get as much as you can out of the experience.

Best of Luck

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dk_ace
I've worked in the banking industry for 6 years now. You could not possibly get better advice than this^. Even if you knew exactly what they wear, I would advise dressing a step ahead of whatever the norm is. D
Thank you. I appreciate your comments. I usually get flamed when I trot out my standard rant for this dull, conventional stuff, so this is quite refreshing. (And, of course, in the glamour industries or outside the USA, things may be different.) Our hero is a clean cut young man who gets good grades, has never been busted, and doesn't get drunk on school nights. (At least some of) the competition will be hung over and dressed in cargo shorts. Anything in the direction of that very conventional setup can really help the candidate. It sure helped me...

CJH7111

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately, since I'm a teenager I dont own any suits, mainly because ive grown about 3 inches a year for the last 5 years (finally leveling out at about 6'4"). However, I do have a black sport coat which i ended up wearing with a grey cardigan underneath and a white oxford with thin maroon checks with a maroon tie and dark grey trousers and black lace ups. The other male tellers were just in button downs with ties and khakis so i was a bit overdressed but im used to it because i usually am. Thanks again all! hopefully now i will be able to buy a nice suit for when i do need it.

dk_ace

Reaction score
CJH7111;4178891 said:
so i was a bit overdressed
This is exactly where you want to be at a bank. You want to be one step ahead. You don't want to blend into the background.

Yes, start saving for a decent suit. A properly fitting, 2-button, solid navy one if at all possible. It would be best to have one of these in your closet and ready to go as soon as you reasonably can. You can flesh out the wardrobe from there, but do start there. I waited too long to start buying suits so it was very expensive for me to play catch up when the time came. Start early, it will pay you back in many ways for many years to come.

D

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would be on the safe side. Definitely wear a morning suit. Pack black tie in case you have to work late.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I would be on the safe side. Definitely wear a morning suit. Pack black tie in case you have to work late.

laugh.gif

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CJH7111
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately, since I'm a teenager I dont own any suits, mainly because ive grown about 3 inches a year for the last 5 years (finally leveling out at about 6'4"). However, I do have a black sport coat which i ended up wearing with a grey cardigan underneath and a white oxford with thin maroon checks with a maroon tie and dark grey trousers and black lace ups. The other male tellers were just in button downs with ties and khakis so i was a bit overdressed but im used to it because i usually am. Thanks again all! hopefully now i will be able to buy a nice suit for when i do need it.

Drop the cardigan - quite wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads