1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bank Dress Code

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CJH7111, Feb 27, 2011.

1. CJH7111

CJH7111 New Member

Hey everyone,

I'm a teenager in High School and am doing an internship at a local bank. I'm going in to shadow someone the tomorrow but I wasn't told the dress code. It's a small local American bank in a mid to upper class town. What do you all think I should wear? Thanks in advance.

2. Kslim

Kslim Senior member

Some nice slacks/dress shirt/tie. Better to be overdressed than under..

3. Marcellionheart

Marcellionheart Senior member

I think if you go in wearing a tie, they'll be impressed that you can wear a tie. If you havent' been told the dress code and you own a suit, go in wearing the suit to be impressive.

4. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

Classic first interview.

Navy solid 2-button SBNL; white barrel cuff point collar; BB#1, maroon sold, or navy pin dot; black captoe, leather sole, very shiny. Belt to match. NO ps, links, or current fashion trends. Cell phone left in the car. Bring and present your resume package. Take some notes, ask good questions, stay awake. Always "ma'am" and "sir" and "yes." Don't fidget, belch, or scratch.

Show them you are not just another twerp. Deviate at you own risk.

5. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

Classic first interview.

Navy solid 2-button SBNL; white barrel cuff point collar; BB#1, maroon sold, or navy pin dot; black captoe, leather sole, very shiny. Belt to match. NO ps, links, or current fashion trends. Cell phone left in the car. Bring and present your resume package. Take some notes, ask good questions, stay awake. Always "ma'am" and "sir" and "yes." Don't fidget, belch, or scratch.

All this is the "ideal", but just try to get close you will be fine. Navy suit, white dress shirt, conservative tie, shine your shoes.

You are in high school, I doubt they expect an impressive resume. As mentioned, how you carry yourself will make the biggest impression.

6. Lusitano

Lusitano Senior member

7. dk_ace

dk_ace Active Member

Classic first interview.

I've worked in the banking industry for 6 years now. You could not possibly get better advice than this^.

Even if you knew exactly what they wear, I would advise dressing a step ahead of whatever the norm is.

D

8. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

and get a haircut.

9. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

Some nice slacks/dress shirt/tie. Better to be overdressed than under..

This is fine. If you have a suit & provided you are quite comfortable in it, wear it - otherwise a well ironed shirt, trousers and tie are great with a formal pair of shoes.

Just make sure you enjoy your internship and get as much as you can out of the experience.

Best of Luck

10. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

I've worked in the banking industry for 6 years now. You could not possibly get better advice than this^. Even if you knew exactly what they wear, I would advise dressing a step ahead of whatever the norm is. D
    Thank you. I appreciate your comments. I usually get flamed when I trot out my standard rant for this dull, conventional stuff, so this is quite refreshing. (And, of course, in the glamour industries or outside the USA, things may be different.) Our hero is a clean cut young man who gets good grades, has never been busted, and doesn't get drunk on school nights. (At least some of) the competition will be hung over and dressed in cargo shorts. Anything in the direction of that very conventional setup can really help the candidate. It sure helped me...

11. CJH7111

CJH7111 New Member

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately, since I'm a teenager I dont own any suits, mainly because ive grown about 3 inches a year for the last 5 years (finally leveling out at about 6'4"). However, I do have a black sport coat which i ended up wearing with a grey cardigan underneath and a white oxford with thin maroon checks with a maroon tie and dark grey trousers and black lace ups. The other male tellers were just in button downs with ties and khakis so i was a bit overdressed but im used to it because i usually am. Thanks again all! hopefully now i will be able to buy a nice suit for when i do need it.

12. dk_ace

dk_ace Active Member

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would be on the safe side. Definitely wear a morning suit. Pack black tie in case you have to work late.

14. acecow

acecow Senior member

I would be on the safe side. Definitely wear a morning suit. Pack black tie in case you have to work late.

[​IMG]

15. GBR

GBR Senior member

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately, since I'm a teenager I dont own any suits, mainly because ive grown about 3 inches a year for the last 5 years (finally leveling out at about 6'4"). However, I do have a black sport coat which i ended up wearing with a grey cardigan underneath and a white oxford with thin maroon checks with a maroon tie and dark grey trousers and black lace ups. The other male tellers were just in button downs with ties and khakis so i was a bit overdressed but im used to it because i usually am. Thanks again all! hopefully now i will be able to buy a nice suit for when i do need it.

Drop the cardigan - quite wrong.

16. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Just take inspiration from the UBS dress code policy...

40 pages...

17. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

18. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Classic first interview.

Navy solid 2-button SBNL; white barrel cuff point collar; BB#1, maroon sold, or navy pin dot; black captoe, leather sole, very shiny. Belt to match. NO ps, links, or current fashion trends. Cell phone left in the car. Bring and present your resume package....

...also prepare a comprehensive PowerPoint presentation with a revised long-term growth strategy for the bank and present to senior management. Emphasize the need to re-organize all leadership levels. Protest heavily when the security guard kicks you out on the street. Ensure the BB#1 maroon tie still has a dimple after you get up from the street.

Guys, we are talking about a high school kid looking somebody in a local bank over the shoulder...this is not an interview at Goldman Sachs..."bring and present your resume package"...can't believe it...

19. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

No hoodie with the hood up.[​IMG]

20. Frihed89

Frihed89 Senior member

No matter what you wear, if you don't know the answer to a question put to you, say, "I don't know; I'll find out." And then find out the answer, of course.