Bangor, ME

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, Dec 14, 2009.

1. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Portland has more culture to offer. With its hills, Portland reminds me of a miniature version of San Francisco.

Bangor is not too far from Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor--one of my all time favorite places to visit.

2. shadrach

shadrach Senior member

OP is so fucking weird.

3. Shoe City Thinker

Shoe City Thinker Senior member

Portland has better food. Two words: Fore Street.

4. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

Portland has Swiss Time and David Wood Clothiers within two minutes' walk of one another. What more could one ask for . . . other than no shortage of good food?

5. Egdon Heath

Egdon Heath Senior member

Bangor is pretty remote and is not nearly as cosmopolitan as Portland and those towns in Portland's vicinity. Bangor was an Air Force town.
    Bullshit. Bangor was never an Air fiorce town, whatever that means. There was a big AF base in Arrostook County once, more than 100 miles north.
    Portland has more culture to offer. With its hills, Portland reminds me of a miniature version of San Francisco.
    Bullshit. There's one real hill in Portland, Munjoy Hill, and it's not much of one. I was born in Bangor, Conne. This is a good thread.​

6. romafan

romafan Senior member

Bangor, aside from being the punchline to an AF joke, is the jumping off point for the North woods. After that you've only got are Greenville / Millinocket, or Presque Isle / Caribou way up in the County....

Bullshit. Bangor was never an Air fiorce town, whatever that means. There was a big AF base in Arrostook County once, more than 100 miles north.​
    I was born in Bangor, Conne. This is a good thread.[/indent]

Caribou was AF base, no? I think it is gone now, and Presque Isle has become the de facto crossroads of the County....

7. West24

West24 Senior member

Bullshit. Bangor was never an Air fiorce town, whatever that means. There was a big AF base in Arrostook County once, more than 100 miles north.​

Bullshit. There's one real hill in Portland, Munjoy Hill, and it's not much of one. I was born in Bangor, Conne. This is a good thread.​

this is a good thread because you were born in bangor? DIS THREAD IS A FAIL BECUZ U R TEH FUKHEAD!

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

DIS THREAD IS A FAIL BECUZ U R TEH FUKHEAD!

sig'd.

9. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

That does it then. I will be moving to Portland.

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

1. I flew up there on a toilet paper tube with wings. The pilot asked if we wanted anything to drink from the vending machine before closing the door and taking off.

Sounds like Tweed Airport in New Haven, CT... just scary.

11. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

12. underwearer

underwearer Senior member

bangor? I don't even know her

13. Egdon Heath

Egdon Heath Senior member

Caribou was AF base, no? I think it is gone now, and Presque Isle has become the de facto crossroads of The County....
    +1 for Down East knowledge. Though there are 16 counties in Maine, 'The County' means only Aroostook, slightly larger than Connecticut.
    That does it then. I will be moving to Portland.
    This is just for you Conne:
    Thogh I was born in Bangor, the family moved south to Cape Elizabeth, next to Portland, when I was 8. We lived on the same road and about a mile from Bette Davis and when she and Gary Merrill split, a high school buddy's folks bought the place and inbetweeen her moving out and them moving in, about six of us had a boozeless and weedless (this was c. '59) but nevertheless highly entertaining night in Bette's creaky old seaside mansion. Ahhh, I remember it still.​

14. tor

tor Senior member

Rogues Gallery is in Portland. I visit some family friends in Maine every year, and we usually go to Portland for this sushi place called Yosaku. Their hamachi kama (grilled yellowtail gills/neck, best part of the fish imo) is ridiculous.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

bangor? I don't even know her

This should go in the old guys thread. Anyone remember when Letterman used to call people in Bangor?