Bangkok

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by deputamadre, Jan 17, 2008.

1. deputamadre

deputamadre Senior member

I'm going to be in Bangkok for 3-4 days before traveling around Thailand. Any advice on a good area to stay, as well as nightlife? I'm 22 and fairly cheap, but not cheap enough to be stuck in a hostel full of hippy backpackers. Are there any areas I should avoid (I don't needs hookers or blow). What places of cultural significance should I hit up? Thanks

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Re: temples I'd make sure to visit Wat Pra Khao, Wat Arun and Wat Po. Floating market is interesting. MBK is a cool place to see and you may find some stuff to buy for cheap (lots of fakes though). Chatuchak market is a must see but a bit outside of Bangkok and make sure to budget some time - the place is big!

Make sure to use the boats for transportation - it adds a lot of charm to the Bangkok experience. Ditto for tuk-tuks

Not sure about hotels or nightlife - haven't been in 6 years... The Oriental is a hotel to see at least (even if you don't stay)

3. gdl203

Secondary places to visit IMO, but still good to see: Jim Thompson's house, and the old emperor's house (don't remember how it's called...[​IMG] )

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

[​IMG]

Jon.

5. gdl203

Thanks Murray !

6. deputamadre

deputamadre Senior member

Where should I convert my money? I'm coming from China, flying into Bangkok. I've got either RMB or my American bank account to use.

7. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

The New Joe Guesthouse was always a decent/cheap place where I'd stay in an alley behind Khao San Rd. Change money anywhere. If you have the time, fly to Rangoon.

8. Matt

Matt [email protected]

the rooftop bar outside Sirocco's is a must see. I think the building is called State Tower. It is also worth a trip to the fights at Lumpini. Hint, the cheaper seats are more fun than the ringside (ringside is all tourists, go back a couple of notches and get it with the screaming gambling Thais).

I generally stay in one of the 3.5 star places around Sukhumvit Rd...Khao San too backpacker for me (altho it is fun to walk through occassionally). Check out asiarooms.com for good rates.

+1 on the Burma sidetrip. Incredible country.

9. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

+1 on the Burma sidetrip. Incredible country.

+2....

10. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

Feed the elephants!

11. Matt

Matt [email protected]

Coincidentally enough, a friend just recommended a hotel called the Baan Sukhumvit on Soi 20. He is a regular through BKK and stayed there last week, said it was cheap and very nice. Mediocre website here http://www.baansukhumvit.com/

12. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

Coincidentally enough, a friend just recommended a hotel called the Baan Sukhumvit on Soi 20. He is a regular through BKK and stayed there last week, said it was cheap and very nice.

Mediocre website here

http://www.baansukhumvit.com/

that's cheap by american standards, not by thai standards. if you;re 22, go to ko san road, rooms are 250bht no AC, shared bath, fan

13. Reuters

Reuters Senior member

Dont be suckered into buying "emeralds & rubies" for a quick profits. There is this elaborate scheme involving the locals & foreigners of all nationalities to con tourist. I personally encountered them, but my lucky stars were shining that day. Its too long to put out the whole sham in words, but just beware of this.

Secondly, do not be smitten by the charms of the local lasses, they are more deadly than you think. Seen many cases of lost souls & broken wallets.

14. Reuters

Reuters Senior member

I generally stay in one of the 3.5 star places around Sukhumvit Rd...Khao San too backpacker for me (altho it is fun to walk through occassionally). Check out asiarooms.com for good rates.

This is a good recommendation, personally I love to stay in the upper Sois of Sukhumvit road.

15. Matt

Matt [email protected]

that's cheap by american standards, not by thai standards. if you;re 22, go to ko san road, rooms are 250bht no AC, shared bath, fan
    and drunk backpackers puking up banana pancakes as far as the eye can see