1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bangkok tailors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MikeF, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Horn

Horn Member

I forgot to follow up!

Tanika did a fantastic job, especially since this was my first visit and was very rushed. Her recommendations were a bit on the conservative side so I had to push for a few things, and if / when I get the chance to go back some day I will probably take my measurements in a bit on my shirts. The cut of my suits are also a bit conservative, but I don't know if I would change much. My only real complaint is that the shirts require a ton of starch near the next to prevent my top non-collar button from scrunching (so maybe more material was needed? who knows).

I ended up buying 4 shirts and 2 suits. The first suit was a beautiful VBC wool, though I don't recall its weight:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tanika warned me about choosing a light-colored liner but I chose it anyway. Next time I'll pick a darker color!

The other suit is an incredible Zegna wool / cashmere blend:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I haven't had a chance to wear this one yet, but I'll upload some photos when I do!

Here are a few photos of one of the shirts:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. madcab

madcab New Member

I did try Tanika tailor, Tailor on ten and Universal tailors. I ordered a suit from each store and would have my first fitting on Monday. Will get back on the results.

3. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

For reference, here is Paul Lux's (from PG) opinion on the matter of Bangkok tailors. It seems he can offer little insight beyond what is already on this forum. Narin seems to be his pick. Interesting to note he mentions the high tax on imported European fabrics, which seems to be at odds with what David Hober has stated previously - perhaps the local wholesalers are to blame?

Since my last post, one of my Thai acquaintances, who has experience with Tanika and Narin, had some work done by World Group and considers them quite highly. However, he has not informed me of who the head tailor is, or what level of hand details they offer, if any.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  4. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

Import Tariffs - Thailand

HS Chapter/Subheading
    Tariff Rate Range (%)
    Woven Fabric
    -silk
    17.5%
    -wool
    5111-5113
    5%

In Thailand silk has a higher tax than wool 17.5% duty plus 7% VAT

Wool fabric is 5% duty plus 7% VAT

You have to careful with what you read both online and on paper when writers or makers who don't actually make anything are reporting...

As a point of reference In America there is a 25% wool fabric import duty and none on silk fabric.

5. schwein2015

schwein2015 Member

Hi - have been reading through the last 15 pages of this thread.

Has anyone had any experience with Button Up in Bangkok? Seems like they are pricier than your average bangkok tailor (based on internet research). And how do they measure up to tailors around the region?

Thanks.

6. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Senior member

Hey,

I have never had the shirt made by them, but I do have their "OTR" shirt. From my experience of wearing their shirt, they are quite durable.

For Thai standard, they are a bit pricey and you can only get your suits or made custom made only at their Thong lor AKA flagship branch.

I don't know if it helps, but I surely hope so!

7. meister

meister Senior member

Years ago I found the best way to get the right suit from my regular BKK tailor was to give him a suit to copy.

What do you guys think would be the best one over the Net where I just send them a suit to copy?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  8. gamlet

gamlet New Member

As a Bangkok resident, I'd have to second the recommendation for Tanika, for shirts anyway - have not tried their other offerings.
    Bangkok really has three tailors for shirts that are decent : Narin, Tanika and Lala Duly. If I'm to be honest I *enjoy* wearing the Lala Duly ones the most - top fabric, excellent workmanship and cut. And the buying experience at the Kempinski is very enjoyable and intimate. The advantage of Tanika of course is that they are the actual tailors, so there is more to and fro about the final adjustments. Both they and Narin are craftsmen and artisans - a dying breed among Thai tailors. I'd add one caveats : I am not sure about the construction of shirts for non-Asian frames here, something which Lala does very well. It's just my feeling. I had some copies of Italian shirts made by Tanika with lovely fabrics and was delighted with the workmanship - and this is a very good way to go with them. They adjusted length and details and collars to a ready-made garment from Borelli in Rome. For 2,500-4,900, you get a great shirt.( Lala is about 5,800 if you are over 6 foot tall, where they need to cut extra fabric.) Narin is more French in taste and it's a matter of opinion how this will work for you. He has excellent fabrics and is a very honest and smart guy - he is worth a try. He'll do unfused collars, which is worth the extra 1000 baht and waiting time.