Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bands You Want to Like More than You Actually Do

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by spertia, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

The Beatles
    Grateful Dead

2. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Your friends are all hipster douchebags.

you'd think so.....but they're all moderate yuppies who follow internet music trends and what's hot in the apple crowd. yupsters?

3. spertia

spertia Senior member

All of the mentions of The Beatles (also on my list above) are a pleasant surprise to me. I have certain friends who look at me like I've just committed murder when I say that I don't understand the general worship of the band.

4. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

5. ama

ama Senior member

Phish
    Willie Nelson
    Flaming Lips
    Maritime
    The Rakes
    Conner Oberst

6. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

arcade fire, led zeppelin

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

You want to like Jimmy Buffett and the Spice Girls more? [​IMG]

Well, it would make listening to them easier when Mrs. Thomas is choosing the tunes. She bought another Jimmy Buffett DVD and played it on her macbook one evening during dinner while I was cooking, and it was the same twelve songs that were on his last concert DVD. And the same twelve songs that we heard when we visited Margaritaville in Cancun. And the same twelve songs that he played the last time he visited the Woodlands. And so on and so forth.

8. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

A lot of the bands listed here are the bands that I actually DO love to death without having to "try" (especially Sigur Ros and Kid-A-and-beyond Radiohead, and WE350B, I love Over the Rhine). But there are a few "classics" that I really want to like but just don't get all that into. Pavement and Neutral Milk Hotel, for example. I like them fine, but they just don't really do it for me, and I've usually listened to them because I felt like I should, not because I really wanted to.

9. redgrail

redgrail Senior member

Sunn O)))
    Boredoms
    Venetian Snares
    Yo La Tengo
    Boris
    Silver Jews/Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks/Pavement

10. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

I never saw the point of listening to Pavement since I own a bunch of Fall albums, which are much better than anything Malkmus has done or will ever do.

11. clarity

clarity Senior member

+1 on Venetian Snares

People talk about him so much like he's some kind of awesome and I'm over here like "wat?" I want to like him because some of the people I enjoy rarely put out new material leaving me bored. And this is coming from somebody who has been listening to Warp, Ninja Tune and Planet Mu records for quite a few years.

12. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

Well, it would make listening to them easier when Mrs. Thomas is choosing the tunes. She bought another Jimmy Buffett DVD and played it on her macbook one evening during dinner while I was cooking, and it was the same twelve songs that were on his last concert DVD. And the same twelve songs that we heard when we visited Margaritaville in Cancun. And the same twelve songs that he played the last time he visited the Woodlands. And so on and so forth.
    OK...so your wife is also a big Spice Girls fan? And you married her? She must be hot.

13. WE350B

WE350B Well-Known Member

Hey, Sauce, ' respect. I actually really tried. There's some aspects of it I like. Maybe it's the voice that I don't cotton, too? Not joyful/depressing enough for me...I love Hope Sandoval's voice, to illustrate.

, and WE350B, I love Over the Rhine). ....

14. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

Hey, Sauce, ' respect. I actually really tried. There's some aspects of it I like. Maybe it's the voice that I don't cotton, too? Not joyful/depressing enough for me...I love Hope Sandoval's voice, to illustrate.

Funny, I actually think that Karen's voice is one of my all-time favorites in non-operatic music. I love Hope Sandoval's voice, too, but for me Karen is on another level. It's just as good live as it is in the studio, too.

One thing I will say for OtR, though, is that for me they're very much a song-by-song band, as opposed to a whole-album band. The one exception to this, for me, is Good Dog Bad Dog--I think I love every song on that record--but most of the rest of their catalog is a cherry-picking exercise for me.

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Interpol and Arctic Monkeys

Every Interpol record has 2-3 songs I *really* like and hate the rest of it. I wish they'd write faster songs instead of the long prodding tracks that infest each record

Arctic Monkeys on paper sounds like a band right up my alley but I can't stand them. But their look and inspiration is my cup of tea