• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bands similar to the Doors, and Rhodes piano?

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Azure
Hi folks;

Could you recommend me some musica bands from that age similar to the Doors, Soul, etc or ones that use and abuse the great Rhodes piano?

A soulover

ok guys, this one needs a bump back to the top. i'd like to hear some recommendations myself.

my mind is drawing a complete blank for now except for Sun Ra's amazing album Crystals which you can get as a double CD with Crystal Spears. Sun Ra is a jazz pianist so it's definitely not like the Doors. but if you want to hear some great blues influenced organ work, you won't be disappointed.

-Jeff

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I recommend getting both parts of the Nuggets compilation, listening to them, and starting from there. Lots of great "lost" works/groups from that era. Nothing immediately comes to mind, but I'll think about it.

Oh, look into early Thin Lizzy. Probably not exactly what you're looking for but interesting and definitely some Doors influences (along with Bowie, Hendrix, and a bunch of other greats)

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember being surprised when I found out a while back that Ian Curtis of Joy Division was a huge Doors/Morrison fan. I'm not going to say they're similar, but I do sort of hear the influence now.

Try them, maybe you'll like them. Massively influential in their own right.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hammond B-3 is better! Steely Dan's music is Rhodes heavy. It's about the only thing Donald Fagen plays, aside from the melodica.
n1357020061_30050327_2849.jpg

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
i think the van der graff generator song "a plague of lighthouse keepers" rocks some rhodes piano

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Steely Dan's music is Rhodes heavy. It's about the only thing Donald Fagen plays, aside from the melodica.

n1357020061_30050327_2849.jpg

Steely Dan is the ultimate summer cruisin' music.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

tlmusic

Reaction score
I believe Manzarek played a Wurlizter electric piano and a Vox Continental organ much more with the Doors. You hear Wurlitzer on "Riders on the Storm." Live, Manzarek also used a Rhodes piano bass keyboard since the band did not perform with a bass player.

Here's a informative article from Ray Manzarek's own site:
http://www.raymanzarek.us/features_keyboard77.html

"What keyboards were you playing then?

I was still just playing piano. I played a Wurlitzer electric piano when that first came out, but I didn't play organ until the Doors got together. I used a Vox Continental on the first two albums (The Doors and Strange Days [Elektra, 74014]) and on the road for a long time. It was the perfect instrument to put the Rhodes piano bass on because it was as flat as a pancake."

The 60's keyboard band: The Zombies
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=86749

Azure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
I believe Manzarek played a Wurlizter electric piano and a Vox Continental organ much more with the Doors. You hear Wurlitzer on "Riders on the Storm." Live, Manzarek also used a Rhodes piano bass keyboard since the band did not perform with a bass player.

Here's a informative article from Ray Manzarek's own site:
http://www.raymanzarek.us/features_keyboard77.html

"What keyboards were you playing then?

I was still just playing piano. I played a Wurlitzer electric piano when that first came out, but I didn't play organ until the Doors got together. I used a Vox Continental on the first two albums (The Doors and Strange Days [Elektra, 74014]) and on the road for a long time. It was the perfect instrument to put the Rhodes piano bass on because it was as flat as a pancake."

The 60's keyboard band: The Zombies
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=86749

Thanks for your answers!

Blue Monday is one my fav tracks.

I´m not sure about it.. It got that metallic timbre of the Rhodes.

I play anaolgue synths, I got a 73s Minimoog signed by Moog himself for me,and a lot of step sequencers. I´m mainly on Detroit techno and soulful house. I was a dj and producer for 10 years .

I would like to have a real Rhodes stage.

And you?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Look into the Meters and the Mar-Keys.

And as much as it's hard for me to say, if it hasn't been ruined for you, there's some Pink Floyd stuff that's actually quite good and very comparable to the tamer Doors stuff.

andyw

Reaction score
Maybe not your cup of tea musically, but the playing of Herbie Hancock (w/ the Headhunters) and Chick Corea (Return to Forever) , 70's - 80's vintage jazz fusion relies heavily on the sound of the Fender Rhodes. Check it out.

Azure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyw
Maybe not your cup of tea musically, but the playing of Herbie Hancock (w/ the Headhunters) and Chick Corea (Return to Forever) , 70's - 80's vintage jazz fusion relies heavily on the sound of the Fender Rhodes. Check it out.

Thanks I own them .Also a friend of mine has played witH Corea in my country
laugh.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

3 years before Riders on the Storm
sneaky2.gif

Cavalier

Reaction score
If you like the doors, check out Howlin' Wolf ... A lot of what's listed here sucks, unlike Howlin Wolf which isn't some gentrified pop bullshit. He is one of the most revered of the 50's Chicago bluesmen, and his influence to music is substantial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyAa4...eature=related *edit* didn't read your post about the rhodes piano, but if you like the doors check out howlin wolf. Brian Auger is known to play a rhodes (when he's not on a hammond), wouldn't say he sounds like the doors, but he is one of the best

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads