• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Band of Outsiders

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh damn I thought it meant casual shirt. Dumbass me...

In any case unless I pull my pants up high its hard to wear it tucked.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to respectfully disagree Chrono, at least in my case. If I ever need a shirt for a dressy occasion and for some reason I don't need a tie, you can bet I'm going to wear my BoO oxfords with my TaT trousers.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Have you tried wearing a BoO shirt tucked in for an extended period of time standing and sitting like at a wedding or something? I've been wearing my white oxford with slacks and dress shoes untucked for a long time though. I'm not saying you should only wear these shirts with jeans or anything. I think i've only worn mine with trousers actually, just not tucked because it'll look good for a picture but not after walking/sitting/etc...

My filippa k shirt is longer than my BoO and doesn't have the same high sides but it still is annoying at times because of the length which is probably in between BoO and traditional dress shirts to be tucked

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God damn some guy had a white BoO for sale, unfortuantly it was one size too big though he's around the same height + weight as me. Where do you cop your standard white and blue oxfords without paying retail?

Anyway I would have to readjust it all the time if tucked. You Lel?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm not sure, haven't held it for extended periods of time. I'm not really trying to argue anything other than tuck it in if you can, see how it works. Worse case scenario I can wear a shirt underneath.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i dunno but I want that grey one on blackbird

skunkworks

Reaction score
If you bought the right size in BoO, you probably shouldn't be tucking. The side will show and that just looks bad. If you want to tuck, try another brand.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
Any idea how this years s/s button downs will fit, especially on the arms? Some of them look pretty tight.

I posted some pics of a small in l/s vs. a medium in s/s I purchased from Gilt in the Gilt thread. I felt like the fit was similar, although not significantly different so you may conclude that the s/s run a slight more snug. I liked the sized up fit on the s/s though given that in the warmer weather, I wouldn't want too tight of a fit, but still wanted the slim fit cut. Hopefully that makes sense.

Did anyone else on here purchase the BoOxSperry deconstructed pennies in black then? I'm wearing them for the first time today and must say they are comfortable as heck and like how they look with my charcoal grey pinstripe dress pants.

work the raw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skunkworks
If you bought the right size in BoO, you probably shouldn't be tucking. The side will show and that just looks bad. If you want to tuck, try another brand.
Well, that's one way to look at it -- I sort of assumed Sternberg was implicitly advocating higher-rise pants. Not like Spencer Tracy natural-waist or something, just a little higher slung than has been in style. The whole BoO vibe is super put-together; wearing an untucked oxford, you risk looking a bit sloppy and I mean, come on, wear an untucked shirt with a blazer and you are entering into dangerous Joe Simpson/Ryan Seacrest territory. But, at the risk of quasi contradicting myself, this element of BoO shirts does strike me as, at best, a mildly nagging quirk, and at worst, a flaw -- any shirt that would prompt someone to say 'if you want to tuck try another brand' is a bit of a problem. Like, Band of Outsiders: "the shirt you can't tuck." Sort of ridiculous.

snowwolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by work the raw
Well, that's one way to look at it -- I sort of assumed Sternberg was implicitly advocating higher-rise pants. Not like Spencer Tracy natural-waist or something, just a little higher slung than has been in style. The whole BoO vibe is super put-together; wearing an untucked oxford, you risk looking a bit sloppy and I mean, come on, wear an untucked shirt with a blazer and you are entering into dangerous Joe Simpson/Ryan Seacrest territory. But, at the risk of quasi contradicting myself, this element of BoO shirts does strike me as, at best, a mildly nagging quirk, and at worst, a flaw -- any shirt that would prompt someone to say 'if you want to tuck try another brand' is a bit of a problem. Like, Band of Outsiders: "the shirt you can't tuck." Sort of ridiculous.
I tried a bunch on last weekend and I don't wear my pants low, they really just fit short, I love the look though but it would be a stretch to get them tucked in

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
God damn some guy had a white BoO for sale, unfortuantly it was one size too big though he's around the same height + weight as me. Where do you cop your standard white and blue oxfords without paying retail?

Anyway I would have to readjust it all the time if tucked. You Lel?

I find it's harder to get the standard white/blue on sale, well in Toronto it's hard. One stockist doesn't even need to put the white/blue on sale as it usually just sells out by itself. I think the best bet is southwillard to find the white/blue on sale.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One last thing, I just bought a small band of outsiders shirt and it fits me perfets, its a melot overdye with 18.5 pit to pit (sellers measurments). Another guy has a white one that is self measured pit to pit 19 inches in medium. Do sizes vary amongst BoO shirts? For example, on context I see http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=742 small pit to pit a 19...do you think the seller just measured .05 of an inch wrong? Im the same height and about 3 lbs lighter than the seller....Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads