1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Band of Outsiders

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Caveat, Feb 5, 2009.

1. mulansauce

mulansauce Senior member

Stop blabbing the date.

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

anyone that logs in after 9:00:19 (PST) aint gonna get shit from the Gilt sale

unless you're XL

3. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

4. mulansauce

mulansauce Senior member

I am just going to frantically add the first thing I see to my cart. Hopefully the first item isn't hideous.

5. Listi

Listi Senior member

They're hardly as finished, and the colors aren't quite as lively, but American Apparel's button-down-collar oxfords (is that redundant?) are at least 1/3 of the price of BoO, and the fit is certainly slim. Both made in the US too!

I tried on some American Apparel dress shirts and they were no good. I can't remember what sizes I tried, either XS and S or XXS and XS, and I remember them both being way too big for me in the chest except too small for me in the length of arms or something. They seemed kinda crap. And I like American Apparel.

6. DLester

DLester Senior member

Someone mentioned J Crew, and I will vouch for that.

I just got back from J Crew and picked up one of their oxfords. Looks great. I was surprised that it had a very similar slim fit to BoO, which I tried on at Barney's yesterday. I sized down one from my normal size (to M) at J Crew and sized up (to XL) in BoO.

The trick with J Crew is to find the oxford cloth shirts with the wider shoulders and sufficient arm length to accomodate sizing down. The shoulders vary by model. Some models have narrow shoulders, so sizing down screws up the look. The ones I am talking about retail for about $60 and are on sale now for $50. The sales staff should be able to help if you ask for the wider shoulder oxfords.

BoO has better detailing and better/thicker fabric. It is a bit slimmer too and looks more tailored. I would rather have BoO; actually one BoO is headed to me right now, and I will be hoarding more. But for $50 I could not refuse the J Crew.

7. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

anyone that logs in after 9:00:19 (PST) aint gonna get shit from the Gilt sale

unless you're XL

I'm glad I'm an XL in BoO then, considering I missed out on the last sale. All I really want is that Black Over-Dyed Oxford, I got everything else I wanted from this last season...

8. DLester

DLester Senior member

I too am glad that I am a morbidly obese XL in BoO, as there are scraps still available after people fight over the smaller sizes.

9. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

I just got back from J Crew and picked up one of their oxfords. Looks great. I was surprised that it had a very similar slim fit to BoO, which I tried on at Barney's yesterday. I sized down one from my normal size (to M) at J Crew and sized up (to XL) in BoO.

The trick with J Crew is to find the oxford cloth shirts with the wider shoulders and sufficient arm length to accomodate sizing down. The shoulders vary by model. Some models have narrow shoulders, so sizing down screws up the look. The ones I am talking about retail for about $60 and are on sale now for $50. The sales staff should be able to help if you ask for the wider shoulder oxfords.

BoO has better detailing and better/thicker fabric. It is a bit slimmer too and looks more tailored. I would rather have BoO; actually one BoO is headed to me right now, and I will be hoarding more. But for $50 I could not refuse the J Crew.

the reason this doesn't work is because the neck is way too small if you size down, the body fits fine but you cannot button the neck.

10. Leonard Leroy

Leonard Leroy Senior member

I size up on BoO so mwhahahahahaah

11. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

This doesn't work for true mediums, smalls and really x-small guys because of the retarded proportions on the J Crew shirts and the weird jumps between sizes. Most people my size who are looking for a slim fit would try to size down to an xs in J Crew but the proportions are just off, specifically the neck and sleeves. I suppose the jump between L and M and XL and L isn't quite as ridiculous.

12. irbe

irbe Senior member

the reason this doesn't work is because the neck is way too small if you size down, the body fits fine but you cannot button the neck.

I agree. When I go to a small, it fits fine around the body - but no way I can button up.

13. DLester

DLester Senior member

Yes, the concerns about small neck sizes with J Crew downsizing are legit.

If I tried to button the neck on my new J Crew shirt, my head would turn blue and soon fall off. That's not the look I am going for [​IMG] So I just don't button it.

14. southgate house

southgate house Senior member

Where is all of the spring summer 2009 BoO stuff? None of the usual suspects (except for South Willard) seem to have it.

15. fosho

fosho Senior member

Where is all of the spring summer 2009 BoO stuff? None of the usual suspects (except for South Willard) seem to have it.

Farinelli's got 1/2 of their S/S shipment back in December, and I'm guessing the other half will be there this month.

16. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

Mauro got his first shipment back in December and it sold pretty fast, I'd give Farinelli's a shout and see what they have left. I know Hejfina should be getting their stuff in middle of February and they are having a trunk show with Scott Sternberg in April if I remember correctly. Barney's should have some stuff this month too. Hope this helps...

17. mellowfellow

mellowfellow Senior member

you can afford bOo if you look around during sales seasons. SW for example. All of the shirts that I purchased are 90 bucks. Also from what i check on ebay, the resell value for a used BoO shirt is very high. You can always get your money back for sure if you decide to sell them.

18. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

For as boring, unoriginal, lame, etc.. people say BoO is, there sure are a ton of threads trying to mimic its style.

19. whodini

whodini Senior member

For as boring, unoriginal, lame, etc.. people say BoO is, there sure are a ton of threads trying to mimic its style.
    No shit...

20. Lysol

Lysol Senior member

I'm still not sure which camp is more annoying the;

"I want a Band of Outsiders style shirt but I don't want to pay more than $15 for it" crew

or the

"Seriously, this shit is made in America and with some serious fabric, I'm just grateful that they'll sell it to me" crowd

I also have a hard time discerning who with the "just go to J. Crew and a tailor" responses is serious and who is in on the joke.