• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Band of Outsiders Tie/Shirt Combo

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://band.bandofoutsiders.com/search/label/shirts

To make a shirt and tie look casual, effortless is really a great skill I think. You cant really wear a tie around a college campus without looking afflicted or "trying too hard". After ordering two BoO shirts, one in dark grey and one in merlot (merlot one has two breast pockets do it doesnt really qualify for a tie), I'm going to try to achieve the same look, problem is what ties? I just have two striped ties, rather skinny 3 inches I believe from Jcrew and one black skinny silk tie. I dont want my whole outfit from BoO so Im trying to diversify(while spending less money)

Have any of you reguarly tried this BoO look (yes I realize BoO didn't start this classical look but I feel they do it the best)? Maybe even throw a bowtie in there with a S/S shirt?

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
3 inches isn't really a skinny tie, it is only slim by usual tie standards so it looks slim with a suit. You'd need one roughly the same width as your BoO, other companies make them. I have a lanvin that'd work. If you're wearing a jacket too a knit tie might work.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I think you just need to learn multiple ways to tie your ties, different knots for different shirts etc.

It will look effortless if its done right and worn with confidence.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
http://band.bandofoutsiders.com/search/label/shirts

To make a shirt and tie look casual, effortless is really a great skill I think. You cant really wear a tie around a college campus without looking afflicted or "trying too hard". After ordering two BoO shirts, one in dark grey and one in merlot (merlot one has two breast pockets do it doesnt really qualify for a tie), I'm going to try to achieve the same look, problem is what ties? I just have two striped ties, rather skinny 3 inches I believe from Jcrew and one black skinny silk tie. I dont want my whole outfit from BoO so Im trying to diversify(while spending less money)

Have any of you reguarly tried this BoO look (yes I realize BoO didn't start this classical look but I feel they do it the best)? Maybe even throw a bowtie in there with a S/S shirt?

This "effortless" trick is not easy. I wore a tie in college because my fraternity forced me to as a pledge. Not sure I could have pulled it off otherwise.

If I were you, I would wear the tie a bit loose with the collar unbuttoned. Like you just left an event where a tie was required, but now you are loosening up a bit.

Good luck breaking up the college clothing monotony.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
If I were you, I would wear the tie a bit loose with the collar unbuttoned. Like you just left an event where a tie was required, but now you are loosening up a bit.

this is getting played out IMO, I used to do it all the time... why wear a tie halfway? wear it or don't wear it. don't *****foot around, if you feel like wearing a tie as it was meant to be worn is uncomfortable wear something else, or take the tie off.

I realize its the way some people wear a tie casually, but its getting old.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I think you just need to learn multiple ways to tie your ties, different knots for different shirts etc. It will look effortless if its done right and worn with confidence.
Very true, what kind of knot would go with a BoO shirt casual style? I honestly love (which is rare for me to actually love a style) that style but I dont want people asking me constantly why Im wearing a tie. I have the Jcrew tie on the very bottom left, the blue with white stripes measures 3 inches across and one skinny black tie, thats it...
2958nsk.gif
Would you recommend a skinnier tie? Knit tie?
rjfn9v.jpg
If I were you, I would wear the tie a bit loose with the collar unbuttoned. Like you just left an event where a tie was required, but now you are loosening up a bit. this is getting played out IMO, I used to do it all the time... why wear a tie halfway? wear it or don't wear it. don't *****foot around, if you feel like wearing a tie as it was meant to be worn is uncomfortable wear something else, or take the tie off. I realize its the way some people wear a tie casually, but its getting old.
Yea its getting kind of played out but I still really love the style and apparently so does Steinburg, you just have to make it work which is what Im trying to do.
Originally Posted by JD_May
3 inches isn't really a skinny tie, it is only slim by usual tie standards so it looks slim with a suit. You'd need one roughly the same width as your BoO, other companies make them. I have a lanvin that'd work. If you're wearing a jacket too a knit tie might work.
True, tie color has to match the shirt I guess too? Or have some contrast? I got my inspiration from this picture,
16ggb5x.jpg
Its so casual, to the point where people wouldnt or shouldnt ask you why the **** you are wearing a tie. http://band.bandofoutsiders.com/search/label/ties I just dont want to spend 75 bucks on a tie when I know if I just spend 40 or so dollars more I can get a shirt...But alas, if no other options are available, I just have suck Steinburgs cock.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I would wear the tie a bit loose with the collar unbuttoned. Like you just left an event where a tie was required, but now you are loosening up a bit. this is getting played out IMO, I used to do it all the time... why wear a tie halfway? wear it or don't wear it. don't *****foot around, if you feel like wearing a tie as it was meant to be worn is uncomfortable wear something else, or take the tie off. I realize its the way some people wear a tie casually, but its getting old.
Well you are right that I am not the first to suggest this approach! . . . but I find that if you are wearing a tie with jeans/khakis/shorts (which is casual) it can look a bit funky to have the tie tight and the collar buttoned (which is formal). It is like the two parts of your body are working on different ideas. And you are more likely to get a question about why you are wearing a tie. And (in my experience) women will tell you that you should loosen your tie. But if you want to button up and still wear the tie casually, I suggest a tie that you would not wear to a job interview or with a suit, like the knit.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Knit ties are more affected than wearing a tie loosened. I don't know if I would wear a tie to classes... I didn't but I compensated by wearing a tie whenever I went clubbing. Ties are great clubbing accessories, they provide a handle for girls. (And aggressive men
frown.gif
)

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knit tie is more affected? I thought knit ties were less formal...and not to classes just casually on weekends or out and about.
2cmu1hh.jpg
o6gsa0.jpg
Cashmere tie?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why not get a BoO tie to match your BoO shirt? (5)

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always found it interesting that BoO's shirts and ties are probably their most popular items, yet, in my opinion, are unwearable together due to the inherent sloppiness found in wearing a tie with an untucked shirt.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm? I have a dark grey BoO shirt, too too sure what to match it with. Also im thinking in the future. Also debating knit tie or not.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree completely. Wear your tie like it is meant to be worn. Own it. It makes it look like you don't like wearing a tie and are trying to look stylish by draping a piece of silk around your neck. You have to look like you love it, you have to act like you're not wearing a tie and you just put it on because that's who you are and that's what you do. People will ask once, but when you tell them it's just because you love ties, they'll never ask again. Please god don't wear it with a unbuttoned collar. I also agree with Bacon in that ties should NEVER be worn with an untucked shirt
frown.gif
You can tuck into jeans if you're wearing a tie! It's okay! But it does help to have something overtop, like a blazer or a vneck sweater.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
I agree completely. Wear your tie like it is meant to be worn. Own it. It makes it look like you don't like wearing a tie and are trying to look stylish by draping a piece of silk around your neck. You have to look like you love it, you have to act like you're not wearing a tie and you just put it on because that's who you are and that's what you do. People will ask once, but when you tell them it's just because you love ties, they'll never ask again.

Please god don't wear it with a unbuttoned collar.

I also agree with Bacon in that ties should NEVER be worn with an untucked shirt
frown.gif
You can tuck into jeans if you're wearing a tie! It's okay! But it does help to have something overtop, like a blazer or a vneck sweater.

So you dont agree with the above looks? I think they look fine...if you constant wear a tie like its "meant to be worn" all the time people will think you're uptight, which isnt the vibe a college student wants to give off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads