1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Band of Outsiders Rumor.. (don't worry, they're still alive)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by SoCal2NYC, Jan 13, 2009.

1. cchen

cchen Senior member

you would feel much differently about BoO if you were my size, i can assure you. they are the only shirts that fit me or really even come close besides dior (though its sometimes a bitch finding a 37p). same for the blazers. and for the record, i am a xs in BoO shirts and a 0/34 in the blazers.

Not knocking BoO, but ou can get a 3-5 MTM shirts from Jantzen for the price of one BoO on sale. I'm sure after 3 tries with Jantzen you'd be able to get a shirt that you liked at least as much as BoO

2. cchen

cchen Senior member

FOK PLEASE DELETE THIS STUPID ASS THREAD.

BoO is NOT going under in anyway. I just spoke with BoO and the are healthier than ever.
    Boy ( BoO womens line) is being liscened to an Italian company that is all.

Stop spreading stupid rumors

That's good to hear, though I think this thread did spark an interesting discussion.

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

^^ but a lot of guys just like being able to buy a shirt that already exists, appeals to him, and he knows it will fit

I've ordered many shirts from Jantzen but I always feel it's hit/miss on whether I get it, or whether it comes out right and nowadays just prefer to see a shirt I like then buy it rather than have it made

4. Brigden

Brigden Senior member

Not knocking BoO, but ou can get a 3-5 MTM shirts from Jantzen for the price of one BoO on sale. I'm sure after 3 tries with Jantzen you'd be able to get a shirt that you liked at least as much as BoO

Yeah, but he buys BoO for the label.

5. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Ok, everybody. Get back to your jcrew ss09 thread and ignore threads about brands you obviously just dislike. Every time it's the same 3-4 people who just hate on shit because they don't own it, don't understand the cost it takes to produce items for companies like BoO (different than gap/jcrew costs), or are against paying more than jcrew/h&m prices for anything but raw denim.

6. whodini

whodini Senior member

^^ but a lot of guys just like being able to buy a shirt that already exists, appeals to him, and he knows it will fit

I've ordered many shirts from Jantzen but I always feel it's hit/miss on whether I get it, or whether it comes out right and nowadays just prefer to see a shirt I like then buy it rather than have it made

Exactly. I've gone into Jantzen with the idea that they're giving me the measurements and buttons I want with the rationale that I'd be getting four BoO or Agnes B shirts for the price one. That's really fucking naive. I'm sure people will chime in with their own anecdotes but MTM shit like that is going to inherently be hit or miss. Why? I've never been completely satisfied with the fabric (if even remotely at all), there's always guesswork as to how much your shirt will shrink in the wash because of all the different fabrics, and even with the exact measurements you give you're still relying on them to interpret the shirt for you. Bottom line is I feel like I've wasted money on an inferior product when I could have just bought something OTR and wouldn't have to second-guess a damn thing. Quality>Quantity.

7. adamha21

adamha21 Senior member

I own both BoO and J Crew oxfords. I'd never buy BoO at full retail, but on sale between $99-$149, BoO is far far far superior to J Crew IMO. Its not that I dislike JCrew, but I always have to size down to achieve the fit I want in the body, and then the sleeves are too short.

For shirts like oxfords and the like, I'd much rather buy OTR and have it then wait for MTM.

8. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

I'm already at two Jantzen shirts I never wear. While the body fits similar to my BoO shirts, they can't get the sleeves as tight. Plus that last shirt took 2.5 months to arrive.

9. whacked

whacked Senior member

^ Even the best MTM services take more than a couple of tries to get it right. Poster yfyf in MC, for example, didn't get exactly what he wanted (albeit he's very picky) with WW Chan after than 5th suit or so. Function the fact that you're ordering online, the number will most likely be higher.

On a related note, gshen's shirt fits are about as good as I have seen on anyone. All of his are cheap MTMs; hell, I'm sure BoO won't fit him nearly as well.

Ok, everybody. Get back to your jcrew ss09 thread and ignore threads about brands you obviously just dislike. Every time it's the same 3-4 people who just hate on shit because they don't own it, don't understand the cost it takes to produce items for companies like BoO (different than gap/jcrew costs), or are against paying more than jcrew/h&m prices for anything but raw denim.

If you don't want to hear negative things about brands you love, why bother reading forums at all?

10. milosz

milosz Senior member

I don't like or dislike BoO myself, I'm indifferent. If I ran across a shirt I liked, in my size, I'd like to give them a try. Maybe there will be a short-sleeve something or other for spring that will work.

That said, I don't see how questions about their price and craftsmanship are unwarranted. There are an awful lot of stories relating to buttons falling off - what justification is there for that? I've had dirt-cheap shirts that I washed a hundred times without losing a button.

Likewise, what makes BoO shirts special in terms of cost to produce that justifies their price? You allude to this but don't say anything definite. MOP buttons - okay, but my $59 Rugby RL flannel has MOP buttons.

11. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

whacked- I'm not even a huge BoO fan as their lookbooks aren't the most exciting (though specific pieces like some shirts and suiting are great), i just find it stupid that the same people are just itching to try and bash BoO for the reasons i listed every chance they get.

Where is that avatar from?

milosz- Seriously, just do a search and read a ton of posts from people who have fashion related experience who have explained this in about a bunch of other similar threads. Here's a tip, if you don't like higher prices, stick to rugby/jcrew/h&amp;m and quit complaining.

12. why

why Senior member

BoO is okay. The pricepoint for shirts is too high. They're the Armani Collezioni of casual wear.

13. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I also have no idea how much $$$ BoO spends to produce their stuff, but I have read that smaller fashion upstarts produce at a much more limited scale than their mainstream counterparts and, as a result, take on a much higher production cost. So a good portion of the price just relates to the number of units produced and the means (mechanical vs hand, type of labor, etc) used to produce them.

So for the people wondering exactly why Mall Brand X can produce at a lower cost, there's the answer.

14. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Wait, so you're saying a company like gap, jcrew, ralph lauren who produce a ton of clothes generally made in cheap overseas workshops to send to their own stores all over the country can do this at a cheaper cost than a relatively small design team who use quality materials and make them in small quantities in the USA and also have to deal with many different small retailers? You, bamchairdance, are blowing my mind. Also, the buttons don't really have to do with shotty construction/quality. This has also been explained in past BoO related threads. People just need to come to terms they'll always hate expensive clothing (except a lot of people don't have a problem with $300 japanese jeans for some reason)

15. Vashin

Vashin Senior member

lol I like how all band of outsiders threads deviate to the same thing.

16. milosz

milosz Senior member

I have no idea what your problem with anyone daring to question the production costs/margin/value for this particular brand... but OK. Like I said, I'm indifferent to BoO - maybe their shirts are worth the cost, maybe not. But I think questions about how well-made they are and how they compare to similar shirts in construction/cost are valid.

I'm perfectly happy to pay more for something I think is worth more.

It annoys the hell out of me that to get a laptop running OS X I'm paying a $500-1000 premium vs. a comparable Windows machine... but I do it anyway. OS X is that valuable to me. The fanboy justifications about build quality are worthless - let's be honest, Mac users make (for the most part) an irrational choice to indulge their preferences for a certain markup. And on Mac fora, there's often the same brand loyal attitude you're displaying here.

17. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

at least a mac looks better for the cost differential.

18. whacked

whacked Senior member

Where is that avatar from?

Saw it somewhere on the webz one night I was really bored. Liked it enough to take the animated gif apart, change the colors, and rebuild the thing in order to fit SF's tiny size limit.

That sounds like a lot of work in hindsight, but one chrono's inquiry validates the effort. [​IMG]

19. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

But macs can't get viruses! Or at least this is what my roomate told me the week before his computer got fucked [​IMG]

20. Teger

Teger Senior member

j crew slim fit oxfords suck dick. the fabric is cheap and flimsy, the collars are small and pathetic, and you have to size down so much to get a fit in the body that the shoulders/neck don't even approach fitting. boo l/xl are perfect for guys with broad shoulders but slim waists... if only they brought back the tall [​IMG]