1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Band of Outsiders Rumor.. (don't worry, they're still alive)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by SoCal2NYC, Jan 13, 2009.

1. JFKJean

JFKJean Senior member

Because you have a functioning brain which puts you in the minority, EH is on a fairly fast decline...so... I..... hear......

but noo!!! Where will the muscle bound freaks go now?

2. robbie

robbie Senior member

uo customer base doesnt have a mind of its own, buys whatever it sees there

I don't get how people looking for lower cost options= mindless.

Im ebarrassed to find out that drkshdw is going to be in urban outfitters. I guess some of it has already shown up in NY, but if or when it comes to Seattle I will cry.
    Just picked up another pair of detroit cuts yesterday only because the only shop here who carries them was trying to get rid of it before it goes mainstream. i also got the drapey twisty top. If you visit seattle in the next month check out riveted. Lex (owner) is basically giving their stuff away.
    anyway, moral of the story. drkshdw is kinda selling out and its lame..

I am not as into clothing or fashion as you chrono. I know very little, I admit this... so I am going to ask

Why does it matter where an item is sold? Is it the garment you are after? What is the difference between buying Drkshdw online and buying it at UO? Why does it matter whether or not something is mainstream?

Up to a point, collegiate tee's, graphic tee's, plaid shirts, five pocket jeans and comfortable hoodies are a no brainer for UO. I know that the more recent offerings that provide a riskier design language and higher price point have struggled considerably.
    I don't know if the Dark Shadow line will be distributed nationwide but a mud encrusted jean probably won't fly off the shelves outside of NYC, and even then you can pick up pieces at Century 21 for the same price the diffusion line will sell at UO.

The store here in Omaha has very little in the way of the diffusion lines mentioned. A big table of Levis, graphic tees, shoes, and the occasional (rare) fred perry piece here and there... I doubt like hell the store will get more than a few pieces for displays and whatever online returns that turn up.

3. akaidiot

akaidiot Senior member

I don't know too much about Rick Owens, but please oh please tell me this hoodie is part of the Urban Outfitters line and not part of a previous collection. I *need* it for LARPing.

[​IMG]

4. Leonard Leroy

Leonard Leroy Senior member

don't we have the same waist size bitch. can you even afford boo!?
    I'm a 28-29 homie, but I size up. But I'm also heavier than I look.
    [​IMG] <3 you. When are you going to give up sufu to come live with us full time?
    idk

5. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Haha. Sorry I posted it after poly800rock because he browses superfuture as well and this post was made a year ago about april 77. Those views are not reflected by or shared by chronoaug and affiliates. (yea, robin. that post was almost 2 years old which explains the rivited comment) http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...utfitters+lame The exact funny rant has been repeated as a joke but inserting different brands or even stupider things like people's names or something else. It was a joke but....i dunno. I guess i deserve a fail macro now There's no drkshdw at UO. Geez. They do or i've heard for a limited time at least in europe at carry/carried s2a, filippak, acne, april 77, apc, nudie, fred perry, paul smith, j lindenberg, velour and others

6. Leonard Leroy

Leonard Leroy Senior member

I haven't been in UO since I hit my 20s.

7. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

I used to go in occasionally with my now ex-gf and stand around the novelty gift section while she tried shit on and copped looks at cute hipster girls. Killed the time pretty alright

8. JFKJean

JFKJean Senior member

9. robbie

robbie Senior member

Haha....

ohh, ok.

10. Yardsale

Yardsale Senior member

I hope this isn't so :/

11. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

12. ManicAbstraction

ManicAbstraction Well-Known Member

If they closed, I would guess that it is due to cash flow problems. Loads of businesses that on the balance sheet are solvent run into cash flow problems and are forced to close their doors. The average payment is 60 days late. (Every designer I know says that the Japanese are the best to deal with, and that American boutiques generally suck), which puts a major stress on businesses. And stores that go out of business or are floundering will put off paying their vendors (as opposed to say, the rent) as long as possible, since the vendors have remarkably little recourse. So, you could be having great sell through, and still be scrambling for dear life if your stockists are being dicks about paying you. The only real weapon you have is to hold orders, but you would still have essentially written off a crapload of merchandise.

Do you know what cash flows are?

13. Rye GB

Rye GB Senior member

Enlighten the forum.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I feel like I am back in financial accounting 101. The answer is: yes. I was stating that liquidity problems can sink even a profitable company. I've seen it happen more than a few times, and it is especially a problem for small designers.

15. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Senior member

No, my point is that you'll only get rarified snobs with money as your core customer. You will make a killing on individual pieces, but if the economy and market doesn't contain as many rarified snobs, then you're in for a world of hurt. By lowering the prices by say, $50-$75.00/piece you'll pull in many more tightwads and do a greater volume of business.

If they're greedy and overcharging wouldn't that mean they have a lot of money from overcharging people? And if they have a lot of money wouldn't that mean they wouldn't be going under right now?

Is your idea of how buisness works like a scene where the BoO dude was just laughing holding a big sack with a dollar sign on it full of money and then he tried to put too much money in it and his own greed came back to haunt him when the buttons on his moneybag fell off and it all spilled out and he went "Damn I Guess I Learned My Lesson."

16. Kodiak

Kodiak Senior member

I hope this isn't so :/
    Does BoO even fit you? I was under the impression that the shirts were really short.

17. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

Has anyone pondered the fact that perhaps BOO is in trouble because the clothes suck and are unimaginative?

18. Lysol

Lysol Senior member

How did he not perfectly sum up cash flow?

You can be perfectly solid on paper but if your retailers and distributors are not paying you, what good is it? I have little experience in apparel sales but this is the reason that many independent record labels and distributors have come and gone over the years.

19. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Has anyone pondered the fact that perhaps BOO is in trouble because the clothes suck and are unimaginative?
    This coming from someone who's staple is Raf by Raf? To answer your question, yes, pondered it, and my opinion is no, that is not the reason. BOO is hot shit and is being copied more than any other label out there at the moment, but as Fok says, there are reasons beyond simply making sales that could force them to halt design/production.

20. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

haha. wrong son. kunk has like 2 pieces of raf by raf. i generally don't wear diffusion.

This coming from someone who's staple is Raf by Raf?

To answer your question, yes, pondered it, and my opinion is no, that is not the reason. BOO is hot shit and is being copied more than any other label out there at the moment, but as Fok says, there are reasons beyond simply making sales that could force them to halt design/production.